When I see an old favourite author has a new book coming out…let me just say, my heart LEAPS.
And when I say “old favourite author”, I just mean an author who isn’t new to me this year. And oh, I love debuters and discovering new authors, but I can be so so loyal to the authors who publish year after year and win my heart every time. The veterans. The icons. Big names authors, midlist consistent authors. I just love recognising a name and feeling my heart blossoming into excited satisfaction because here, oh here, is a book coming that I’m most definitely going to love.
I can be very very loyal too and just want to support my faves as well as be super excited for new content from them! (Hush, no Hufflepuff accusations will be taken at this time.)
So let me tell you about 10 new books that came out in 2019 from authors I’d read before!!
did I love them?? What did I think of their new works?? 👀 did my fragile little heart handle the excitement??? all extremely good questions. 😌
1. Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater | I mean I HOPE YOU KNEW this would be coming first because my soul belongs to the peculiar whimsy and incredible cleverness that are all the Stiefvater novels. And this is the start of the Ronan series I’ve been dying for since she hinted she was writing (was it back in 2017?!) Like my heart is still exploding with how intricate and brilliant this was. And RONAN, arguably one of my favourite characters of all time, IS BACK. 😭I will sob on u and have no regrets.
2. Sick Kids In Love by Hannah Mokowitz | I read my first book from her back in 2017 (Teeth!) and then read Salt in 2018 and then just about happy cried at her newest contemporary, which is an #ownvoices book about chronic illnesses. It was both painful and empowering, and beautiful and encouraging. It’s just wildly surreal to sit here and read a book where disabilities are written with love. Again, shall cry on you. Can you just get an umbrella??? That will work for us all. Basically I put this on my “best of the year” shelf so fast.
3. The Wicked King and The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black | The most obvious thing in the world is how obsessed I am with this series but HELLOOOOOO we got both sequels this year and I can still feel my heart BEATING LOUDLY with the exact incredibleness of QoN!! It was just stressful and superb and magical and vicious and satisfying. I cannot articulate!!! Cardan’s character arc and Jude’s empowerment…this is the content I crave. I also read TWK twice this year😂Unapologetic trash for this series. I think my first Holly Black book was back in 2014 with White Cat (this series is SO FREAKING GOOD) and then The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, The Darkest Part of the Forest, and Tithe. Basically if you haven’t read her backlist yet…gooooo.
4. The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare | Another author my life is pledged to with no regrets. 😌I will forever love everything Shadowhunters. And Queen of Air and Darkness was so so stressful, so it was nice to get Red Scrolls?! Which was a bit of a Shadowhuntery romp, but with Magnus (THE BEST) and Alec (LOVE HIM) starring and so so many cameos from old faves. I also liked Ghosts of the Shadow Market but confess I got massively lost with so many of the names of Will/Tess & Co’s kids. I need to reread TID apparently. 😂The last story with Jem making Kit feel at home broke me though.
5. There’s Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon | Okay so Dimple & Rishi came out in 2017 and I loooved it, and this is set in the same universe! It’s about Rishi’s younger brother. And it’s just this epic, loveable, affable romcom with so much #ownvoices Indian rep and cultural love…I just forgot how much I adore Menon’s writing! I’m kind of dying for her fairy tale retelling series starting next year ahhhh!!!
6. We Are Lost And Found by Helene Dunbar | omg one of my top ever contemporary authors!!! I can’t even say !!!! How much I adore her books. And this latest one was just 😫💛💛incredible. You know when a book speaks to your whole soul?! THIS IS IT. I remember reading Boomerang on a total whim in 2018 and — BOOM — there launched the discovery of an author I am dying for every book release. I also loved These Gentle Wounds by her in 2018 (it’s an older release!).
7. Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo | I mean YOU KNOW I had to put a Bardugo book here!!! I freaking adore her, not just for her books (incredible as they are!) but also for being a disabled author totally ruling out there at the moment. TV shows. Critically acclaimed book releases. Exploding into adult fic and absolutely nailing it. Gahhh. And of course I loved King of Scars this year too!! But Ninth House was the viciously delicious paranormal dark academia that I’ve been craving so, I have to keep telling you about my love for it!! I just do!!! And I read my very first Bardugo book (Shadow & Bone) back in 2014!!! I WAS A BABY!!!
8. Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer | Not that I should neglect A Curse So Dark and Lonely which is maybe Kemmerer’s most famous book of all time and also out this year…buuuut this was my FAVE. I love her contemporaries and how they hit on such important issues while never being preachy. And this one was part love story, part tragedy, part broken people finding ways to be whole again. I caught FEELINGS.
9. The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh | LOOK VAMPIRES ARE BACK. Between Baz in Wayward Son and the crew here I am just 👌🏻enjoying this immensely. Although there wasn’t a ton of vampire action happening in the Beautiful but I know it’s comign in the sequel become o m g that ending. That TWIST. THAT CLIFFHANGER. Anyway this is pure gothic angst and I very much enjoyed myself. I also hadn’t read an Ahdieh book since The Wrath and the Dawn in 2015…I feel bad because I have a lot to catch up on from her!
10. Romanov by Nadine Brandes | Aka the Anastasia retelling I have been WAITING FOR. It also left me in an absolute mess of feels…because you know the Anastasia history okay. But this had twists, aka: magic. I really love how Brandes is doing historical retellings but with magic. I read Fawkes last year and am still heart-eyes over it! And then here is Romanov and just yesssss. Pretty sure I just need to take a moment of strong appreciation here for all things magical and Russian and powerful gentle girls and powerful disabled boys. 😍
| what do you think? |
hiiiii come tell me what old-favourite-authors put out 2019 releases that you ADORED?! did you read any on my list? any favourite authors you’re hoping publish something in 2020!? 👀