Oh LOOK the last month of the year! When shall we panic.
It’s that beautiful time in our lives where we look back at our list of 2017 goals and realise we did 2% of them! And glance at all those books we have to read / review before next year! And then ask ourselves: “WHY” in a slightly terrified tone!
So much fun!
Anyhow. Welcome to my November recap. It’s like a prepackaged existential crisis which is nice. Also I had a WILD month of writing which I can’t even tell you much about because #secrets. THIS IS GOING TO KILL ME EVENTUALLY BUT OH WELL.
Also not to alarm you BUT GUESS WHO MADE IT INTO THE SEMI-FINALS OF THE @EPICREADS BOOK SHIMMY AWARDS!??
AHHHHHHHH. Please come vote for your favourite boots!!! AKA my boots. In case you have other boots, which you shouldn’t because you love me.
Also I’m up against people with like purely thousands of followers so this is intense. How did I get here. Why am I the only weird looking one.
- GRAY WOLF ISLAND: I think I heard it pitched as being like The Raven Cycle so…you know why I’m here.
- TIMEKEEPER: I read this last year, but I finally own a copy!! It’s so gorgeous in hardcover and I’m freaking out about the sequel next year! ★★★★☆
- THE WICKER KING: This was my “YAY YOU FINISHED NANO” reward and I’m so so excited!!
- DEVILS WITHIN: It’s apparently all violent and stabby so here I am.
(Thanks to Pan Macmillan, Walker Books, Hot Key Books, and Owlcrate!)
- LOVE HATE AND OTHER FILTERS: A surprise ARC! I kind of can’t believe I’m getting 2018 books?!? I’M NOT READY.
- THE GLASS SPARE: This is the book featured in @Owlcrate’s November book box and I am thoroughly heart eyes.
- CITY OF BONES 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: I now have 3 editions and I’m not even sorry omg look at it. ★★★★★
- RENEGADES: I’m sooo disappointed with how slow and cliche this was. ★★☆☆☆
(all covers link to goodreads)
I’ve already read The Thing With Feathers and found it to have some really awful undertones about disabilities?! The book basically said if you don’t tell people you have a disability, that equals you living a “fake liar’s life” and just…what. And no. You don’t owe people anything and it’s not their business.
ALSO FURYBORN IS MAYBE MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY?!? WHO CAN KNOW!!
AND I JUST REACHED 35,000 FOLLOWERS SO I’M KIND OF EXCITED HERE.
Still doing ridiculous Stories…there is no stopping me now. Follow me for quality content such as this:
Don’t forget to scroll/hover over the covers! They flip around and will show you a mini review and star-rating!
Also click on them to take you to my review. HOW FUN IS THIS. Spoiler: Very fun.
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “affects caused by reading too much of fantasy books” –> sometimes you wear pointy hats and only answer to “Gandalf” but like that’s not a big deal. Don’t make it a big deal.
- “is it wrong to read books” –> absolutely. Much like cannibalism, it is frowned upon in some societies. Avoid at all costs.
- “if i post something and which is copied” –> STORY OF MY LIFE. Mostly just shout at the sun and ask why people don’t respect artists, UGHHHH.
- “i love reading romance stories but i didn’t believe on romance” –> Who hurt you.
- “what are book blogs” –> As Thor would say: That’s it. That’s what we book bloggers are.
- “why we need to carry a book every where” –> in case a HUMAN tries to talk to us ughhhh.
- “adam favorite character raven” –> NO IT’S RONAN RAVEN BUT I LOVE ADAM RAVEN TOO.
- “the problem with ya literature” –> is honestly that there’s not nearly enough dragons. Why are we even here.
I HAVE ACTUALLY (FINALLY, SHH DON’T SIGH) GOT NEW DESIGNS UP!
These are all available on totes, mugs, pouches, pillows, etc…so go wild, young fiend.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- Becky Albertalli’s next book Leah on the Offbeat has a cover reveal!
- Cassandra Clare is writing a NEW SERIES AND I’M FREAKING OUT!! It’s called Sword Catcher and is an adult epic fantasy and jasdkladfd I am here. She also talks a bit more about it on instagram.
- Morgan Matson reveals the cover of her new book Save The Date!
- Heidi Heilig announces her new fantasy series which is about dead people and a bipolar shadow player!
- Sally Green does an interview about her new series The Smoke Thieves (I’M SO HAPPY SHE IS ONE OF MY TOP AUTHORS) and gives a sneak peek!
- Gayle Forman talks about her next book, I Have Lost My Way, which is here after years of writers’ block.
- Maggie Stiefvater talks about book piracy and how much it deeply affects them AND the industry and honestly could kill our potential to get new books from authors we love. This really breaks my heart that people do this.
- Here’s some stills of the Love Simon movie!
- Leigh Bardugo talks about writing disabilities into YA fantasy AND I PRETTY MUCH LOVE HER.
Just going to leave the cover reveals RIGHT HERE for you.
- The Wrath and the Dawn is optioned to be a movie!
- It’s not really bookish but oh wow come see the cast for the Lion King.
- Amazon is remaking Lord of the Rings because apparently there are NO new ideas around at all and why not wreck the old ones.
- Ah. The Infinity War trailer is here.
- But more importantly I HOPE YOU HAVE SEEN THE LOVE, SIMON TRAILER. (Adapted from the book Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli!)
- Francina Simone does AMAZING vlogs and she did one on moral bankruptcy in the YA community that was 10/10.
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight did a post on the seasons of book blogging!
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction did a post on changing blog names.
- Sarah @ Writing Word Worlds talks about pop culture references in books.
- Mish @ Chasing Faerytales talks about what YA needs to get right about teens.
Also Alison @ Alison’s Wonderland Recipes interviewed me about my upcoming novel, A Thousand Perfect Notes!
I drop some secrets about my 2019 book too and talk pianos and cake. AS IS USUAL FOR ME.
Also holy heck it’s over 1,500 adds on goodreads. I LOVE YOU ALL. I mean, except for whoever rated it 1-star but I feel like a real author now so thanks for that.
I don’t generally have time to watch things, but since I’m on “writing holidays” I’M ACTUALLY WATCHING STUFF. WHO AM I.
I finally saw Spiderman Homecoming! I’m kind of a bit “eh” with Marvel at the moment (still <3 Iron Man obviously) but this was so good?! It was hilarious and Baby Spidey is ADORABLE. Also Tony should adopt him immediately is all I’m saying. And I’m proud of them for (a) 70% of the cast being diverse, and (b) actually not throwing in unnecessary romance?!
As much as I like AnnaSophia Robb? THIS IS A REALLY HORRIBLE WAY TO TREAT AUTISTIC PEOPLE. The mum wants to cure the daughter and the fake/babysitter ends up teaching the (low-functioning) autistic girl using dog commands. Plus she gets left in dangerous situations a LOT. Plus the romance was awful.
So basically I wanted to burn something down afterwards. (Except that the 11-year-old playing the autistic girl did such a good job.)
THIS SHOW IS SO SO SO DUMB AND CORNY AND YET I GOT REALLY ADDICTED. Plus the episodes are like 20mins?! That’s the kind of life (non)commitment I like. I know my IQ is dropping watching this but it’s funny and really good for just chilling?!?
This show is mildly crude and AWFUL (why can’t everyone just stay clothed) but it’s also mildly funny. Basically superpowers + teenage delinquents.
I’m struggling though because it’s British and every second person is also on Game of Thrones. How am I supposed to feel sorry for this overlooked smol poor dude WHEN HE’S A MASS MURDERER IN GAME OF THRONES. IT’S DOING MY HEAD IN.
- So the first exciting thing is –> I’ve been doing copy-edits for A Thousand Perfect Notes! SORT OF FREAKING OUT. It’s starting to feel like a real book okay!? I don’t even know what to do with myself.
- I shouldn’t be this nerdy about edits and yet here we are.
- OMG I PRINTED MY BABY. AHHH. First time!!
- Also what is my thumb doing? We all don’t know and are worried.
- I also worked on a secret project that excites me out of my freaking mind. I can tell you NOTHING except: eeeek. But I basically edited / polished a book in 9 days. It was intense.
- And then I did NaNoWriMo in two days. (Finishing @ 60,000-words.) Which is a new record for me, since last year it took 3 days.
- Obviously next year I’ll finish before I start.
- Snippets? Ok twist my arm.
- And now I am an exhausted local fish.
- Also if you’re curious, here’s a photo of my professional workspace:
- Because why sit anywhere comfortable when you can sit on 20 square inches of floor with a bookshelf digging into your spine. (I think I get a bit hyper-focused but OH WELL.)
- So I’m officially on “holidays” right now and by that I mean I’m pretending not to work on 34 projects in my head. I don’t do holidays?!? My brain doesn’t turn off! I’m trying to muffle its screams with watching Netflix and rereading (AGAIN) The Gentleman’s Guide To Vice And Virtue because I love that book with all my heart. Also the audio is so excellent that I’m now narrating my life in a British accent. I’m sure this isn’t weird.
- Other fun and random things I’ve been doing include:
- eating quite a lot of homemade coconut ice cream
- because I’M WORTH IT
- doing a light edit on another book because I can’t stop apparently
- writing out lists of books I still need to read before 2018 and panicking recreationally
- having banana / chocolate smoothies because IT’S HOT IN AUSTRALIA
- RE-READING SO MANY BOOKS! I LOVE RE-READING! IT IS THE BEST!!
- squeaking when a tweet goes over 1,000 likes — look everyone i’m spweshul
- collecting mugs and never using any of them because why not just use ONE MUG over and over
- waiting for my smol sister to come visit for 2 months
- being insulted by said sister’s texts
- How rude.
- It’s been a very busy / stressful month but, deep breaths, I’m calming down. (#Lies.) I’m excited to do some yearly stats and recap posts soon and then maybe take a week off blogging around Christmas so I can beat back those ARCs and then eat a cake or 9 or something.
- Also I have a new shelf! Which is two shelves staked on top of each other and no you can barely get into my room. My dog is 0% impressed with my life choices.