I’m about to share all my book blogging secrets. I know. What even is this madness?! SO appreciate it while I spill all before you (although technically this tag should be the “not so secret life”, right?).
Deep breaths, Cait, deep breaths.
Thanks for the tag Danni!
1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A BLOGGER?
I’m in my 4th year! I started off as a travel blog, merged into a writing blog, then faceplanted into book blogging. And here I am. NO GETTING RID OF ME. I’m like a fabulous barnacle.
2. AT WHAT POINT DO YOU THINK YOU’LL STOP BLOGGING?
IS THIS A HORROR STORY TAG?! Blogging is life. I am a writer and a bookworm and as long as those are the two driving passions of my existence, I’m going to keep blogging.
I may stop if:
- A dragon eats me.
- The apocalypse comes and running from zombies becomes more life fulfilling than tweeting about it.
- Australia loses WiFi FOREVER. (Which is the definition of the apocalypse.)
- My TBR falls on me and squashes me flat.
3. WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT BLOGGING?
I quite like the moment when the entire internet is chanting “CAIT FOR WORLD RULER! CAIT FOR WORLD RULER!” I just know it’s a regular phenomenon.
But that glorious thing aside, I quite like:
- Comments! I love getting them. I LOVE IT. When I post (7:00pm every night, I’m nothing if not punctual) I often chew my nails nervously in anticipation of the first comment. I love talking to people. I love comparing bookish opinions! I LIKE MY FRIENDS.
- The book blogging community is downright fabulous. I can’t believe I blogged for years not knowing so many epic people were out there, just waiting to be attacked into friendship. Everyone is nice and supportive and clever and funny. I know everyone is funny because so many people say “Yeah, well, I’m not going to be your minion because I’m taking over the world.” HAHA. Isn’t that adorable?! People have such quaint senses of humour. There can only be one world ruler, by the way, and it is me.
- Taking photos of books. I really adore doing this. It’s so much more fulfilling than photographing humans. (Ugh.)
- Formatting posts. I love putting together posts. I like writing them, I like fiddling with font sizes and which sentences should be bolded. I like finding the perfect gif. OH. And I like writing lists. Like I am doing now.
- Lists. Lists! Lists! Lists!
4. WHAT IS THE WORST THING? WHAT DO YOU DO TO MAKE IT OKAY?
- Self doubt. Did that post I write suck? Is my opinion stupid and wrong? I’m not blogging like everyone else, so AM I DOING IT WRONG?
- When people hate on my reviews. Not like “oh I disagree with you”. (Disagreement and discussion is ALWAYS welcome.) I’m talking about when people take a moment out of their days to absolutely tell me I SUCK and that I’m immature and deluded because I didn’t love their favourite book. Ugh. I know those people are the trolls and should be ignored, but it’s hard. It is.
- When I come face to face with design or HTML or coding problems. I would love to be good at HTML. I would love to know how to tweak my blog! I DO NOT. I CRY SO OFTEN BECAUSE I DO NOT. Everything baffles me. Ughhh.
- When I send back negative reviews to publishers. It’s sily. IT IS. Publishers don’t expect all their reviewers to love all the books. But I still feel like an ungrateful cacti when I send back negative reviews.
5. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO CREATE/FIND PICTURES TO USE?
This is hard to gauge because I take photos. All photos are my own! HUZZAH! I’ll spend hours taking photos and editing them, but it’s mostly for my instagram. Then I use the pinterestable (totally a word) photos for headings on my posts.
Gifs though? I take AGES to find gifs. Unless I decide to theme a post Supernatural because, well, hello:
So helpful, thank you. #bestfandomever
6. WHO IS YOUR BOOK CRUSH?
My bookshelf. Because I’m 99% sure that if it falls on me, it will crush me. Therefore I figure it’s best to be attracted to it now while I’m still whole.
7. WHAT AUTHOR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE ON YOUR BLOG?
I dislike how vague this question is. What am I doing with this author on my blog. Interviewing them? Letting them guest post? Eating them for dinner? THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS.
I love authors, but I’m also terrified of them because they’re fabulous. But I have undying adoration for Maggie Stiefvater. She scares me, though, because she’s too awesome. I would like to interview her, but I wouldn’t. If that makes sense.
8. WHAT DO YOU WEAR WHEN YOU WRITE YOUR BLOG POSTS?
Clothes?! Doesn’t everyone?! UGH. DON’T TELL ME IF YOU DON’T. I DON’T WANT TO KNOW.
If you wish to be specific, right now it’s winter so I’m hudled under 36 quilts and wearing jeans, socks, three shirts, and a jumper. I’m a cold frog. It’s my icy soul that doesn’t help things.
9. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO PREPARE?
Prepare what?! I guess it takes me zero time to prepare. If I’m going to blog, I sit down and blog. If I need to blog and don’t feel like it, I select a clone to do it for me.
10. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE BOOK BLOGGER COMMUNITY?
I LOVE THEM ALL. I think there are snarky sides. I’ve met bloggers I just couldn’t click with and I think we ruffled each other’s dragon scales the wrong way multiple times. But you know what?! Not everyone has to click. I’m sure I annoy a lot of people because I USE ALL CAPS TOO MUCH. And also! Exclamation! Points! Which are kind of! Irritating! Sometimes! And I’m absolutely fabulous, so that would be annoying for less-fabulous people.*
But mostly everyone is awesome. I have so many friends, like seriously, I feel like I have hundreds of book bloggers I could call a friend! And I have many people who support my blog and — just — nnnngh I CANNOT EXCLAIM HOW APPRECIATIVE I AM.
* I’m joking.
11. WHAT DO YOU THINK ONE SHOULD DO TO GET A SUCCESSFUL BLOG?
Write the blog YOU want to read. Don’t feel pressured to format your posts or write content “like everyone else”. #BookBlogAdvice
— Cait (@PaperFury) June 24, 2015
This is my most favourited tweet ever, by the way. I’m monstrously proud. BUT ALSO! YES. THIS. I think there can be pressure to blog a “certain way”, to have the book blogging plugins, to format reviews just so and to follow the trends. I feel like everyone is getting into photography at the moment. AND THAT CAN BE GREAT! Don’t get me wrong! But if photography doesn’t sit well for you and you don’t want to do it, or it frustrates more than excites you — don’t. Same as you should keep whatever schedule you want. Format your posts how you please. If you’re unconvetional or weird or just can’t get it “right” like everyone else — JOIN ME, BECAUSE I AM THE SAME.
Also, don’t copy blogs you love. Everyone’s methods for success are different. Some bloggers give away books, some always review the latest releases, others do tutorials, others always write meaty discussions. I write informally with (hopefully) plenty of humour and ridiculous food puns. Where else can you go on the internet and be accused of being a pineapple except at my blog?! HMM?? Figure out what works for you. Experiment, yes. Get inspiration from, yes. Copy, no.
I would like to tag ALL THE PEOPLE, by the way, because if I have to spill my secrets (these weren’t that secrety) then you should too! SO STEL THIS IF YOU LIKE. And I’ll also specifically pick on:
Emily @ Loony Literate // Brett @ Brett Michael Orr // Aine @ Writing on a Vintage Typewriter // Jeann @ Happy Indulgence // Felicity @ Felicity Helen // Rosy @ The Review Diaries // Aimee @ Deadly Darlings // Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight // Wesaun @ Oreos and Books