Hello it’s October and I WENT VIRAL ON TWITTER!!
I’m extremely excited because it was a brief moment of fame and I’m hoping the “fortune” part of that will follow soon. Right??? Someone hire me for my wit??? Please?
- I had my favourite relatives come to visit. They are smol and easily bossed around, hence “favourite”.
- TWITTER. OBVIOUSLY.
- Australia forgot the word “Spring” and we’re already having 31 degree days (that’s 81F for the Americans).
- I’m going to be working with PageHabit and their book boxes soon so um wow??? I am loved???
- I was eating brownie and texting my sister and got confused and ate my phone and texted my brownie.
- I HAVE THE NEW STIEFVATER BOOK AND MAY DIE OF EXCITEMENT.
But let’s be orderly about this shall we??
MY NEW CHILD.
I’ve only got 100 pages left AND OBVIOUSLY I LOVE IT. Also I have an arm. #Exciting.
- LOST BOY: Because I love creepy Peter Pans.
- LITTLE & LION: This is about bioplar and has a queer love triangle so I’m excited.
- THE ART OF FEELING: New absolute FAVOURITE. Disabilities done so so so well with chronic pain + unable to feel pain disorders (and I headcanon autism and asexuality!). ★★★★★
- WORDS ON BATHROOM WALLS: Dude I preordered this for release in July. It arrived in September. GOOD JOB, AUSTRALIA. But anyway. It was amazing and one of my #1 anticipated books for the year!! Schizophrenia and anxiety and excellence. ★★★★★
- ALETHEIA: The author kindly sent me this GORGEOUS hardcover and I’m mentioned in the acknowledgements!!
- AFTERWARD: This is about kidnapped children and afjdksal it was really feelsy and terrifying and SAD and so well written. ★★★★☆
- WHEN I AM THROUGH WITH YOU: I love this author and her books are so messed up. So EXCITED. I actually preordered this!! Who am I these days.
(Thanks to Scholastic, Hot Keys, Bloomsbury, Text Publishing, UQP Books, and Allen & Unwin!)
- UNTIDY TOWNS: I guess this is about recycling?
- PRISONER OF ICE AND SNOW: Middle-Grade prison-break story and really NOT “Just like Six of Crows!” as everyone is saying. No. It was cute and sisterly but a bit dry/slow. ★★★☆☆
- THE NEAREST FARAWAY PLACE: I already read this from a Netgalley approval! It has a clever plot twist at the end, but it’s altogether super boring.★★☆☆☆
- I HATE EVERYONE BUT YOU: And I hate you, dear book, but OK. ★★☆☆☆
- THE RED RIBBON: Maybe this is about ribbon dancing but who knows. (Not me because I haven’t read the blurb obviously.)
- ALL THE CROOKED SAINTS: AHHHHHH AHHHH!!! AHHHH !! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (this is my favourite author) AHH!! AHHHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH.
- SHOW STOPPER: This cover is freaking DIVINE. I think it’s about the circus.
- SAVING MARTY: This book basically ripped off the plot of Babe the sheepdog pig. Also horribly rep of depression. ★★☆☆☆
(all covers link to goodreads)
NOTE: I put Rules of Rain on my “highly anticipated for the year post” recently and ughuguhququqr. It has a fantastically accurate Autistic character and it treats him TERRIBLY. So please be aware the book’s pretty ableist with underlying themes that autistic people are “fine” but you can love them “so much more” if they act less autistic. #How #About #You #Don’t #Speak #Again
I still don’t understand how I have 33K followers and sometimes barely get 1K likes…but fine instagram. Be like that.
Don’t forget to scroll/hover over the covers! They flip around and will show you a mini review and star-rating!
Also click on them to take you to my review. HOW FUN IS THIS. Spoiler: Very fun.
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “followtrain downside” — That’s how I feel on Mondays too.
- “paperfury fantasy book collection” — stalker
- “things that u dont know about me” — I don’t want to.
- “your friend is bringing heavy books” — Stop being such a weak little sniveller. Either work out at a gym so you can carry more for your friend or adopt a small pack mule to aid you.
- “self clicked photos of novels” — I hate it when my novels take selfies too. It’s so rude??? I’m supposed to be in charge here and I wake up and my camera is full of selfies from my books.
- “how should be wishlist written” — in blood, but if you’re sticking your wishlist on the fridge so your family can take note, I suggest offsetting the blood with some cute colourful magnets. Your family will be fine with it. They won’t worry.
- “what is young adult literature target audience” — I’m not sure because it’s very complicated. But…I suspect??? Maybe??? Young adults????
- “what can people learn from throne of glass” — How not to live.
- “reasons why books are reviewed” — We’re pretentious little bark chips and like the sounds of our own opinions. Or, like, one time I accidentally fell on my keyboard and it wrote a book review so I decided to make it a thing.
- “what make bookworms go crazy” — the idea that the apocalypse is bad. Like no???? I will finally get some time off to finish my TBR pile??? The zombies can just sit and wait politely.
- “intj gentle” — yes we are for sure.
- “paper fury tips reviews” — I’M FLATTERED, YOU STALKER. Also see afore-mentioned idea to fall on keyboard.
- “intj scared of love” — No????? I have 600 books I’m in love with?????
- “please stop comparison on me” — OK, fine I’m sorry. Where do you want me to put it if I don’t put it on you? On the bench? Do you have a box? If I leave it on the floor will the dog get into it?
- “sould adults read fantasy books” — No. They might have fun and adulthood should be miserable.
OK SO IT’S NEARLY NANOWRIMO. Only 30 days to go!! AKA you should buy some of my writers merch to pre-reward yourself.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- LISTEN UP. LEIGH BARDUGO IS PUBLISHING A SERIES FOR NIKOLAI FROM THE GRISHAVERSE. I’M DYYYYYING. I WANT THIS SO BAD. HE IS MY FAVOURITE. You can add it on Goodreads here!
- Hank Green is publishing his first book!!! I’M EXCITED. I also love that he won’t let his brother read it. #SiblingRivalryAtItsBest
- Adam Silvera wrote a great post on Kirkus about seeing yourself (as a diverse person) represented in books.
- David Arnold and Adam Silvera talk about their friendship and how David Arnold’s written a book inspired by it!
- This article talks about the importance of teens reading about racism.
- Maureen Goo’s new book, The Way You Make Me Feel, has a cover!
- The sequel to Caraval has a cover and title!
- I took a highly important quiz to find out which London I belong in (from A Darker Shade of Magic). It’s White London?????? I am Holland????
- Dolly Parton is working on the Dumplin movie! Which is like BOOK-INCEPTION because the book is a huge ode to her!
- Artemis Fowl has an official release date for its movie!
- Kate @ Story And Dark Chocolate interviewed meeeeee!
- Emily @ Loony Literate tortures us with some 2018 books we need already.
- Danielle @ The Blonde Likes Books talks about her pet peeves in books. #relatable
- Marie @ Drizzle And Hurricane Books talks about book blogging anxieties.
Also my tweet actually got put in a bookstore so like…I’ve made it.
I’m so famous now I can’t even.
Here are some other of my tweets that just went wild. I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON EITHER.
SO THIS IS NEW!
I’m a rep for a few book subscription boxes which is amazing and I thought I might shout a bit about them here too on occasion. Let me know if you all would be keen to read actual full unhaul posts? Your wish is my command. (LOL @ YOU. NOT REALLY. But I pretend to be totally magnanimous occasionally. Otherwise I am just Loki and do what I want)
Anyway this is the #OwlCrate box and the theme was DRAGONS. My people.
Also if you use the code “FURY” you get 15% off and Owlcrate will love me more and I will love you more so 10/10 for buying each other’s love. And October’s Theme is MAGICAL FORESTS, aka they’re going to have The Raven Cycle merch!!! I’m not F R E A K I N G out haha no.
DRAGON SEPTEMBER BOX INCLUDES:
- The book is BEFORE SHE IGNITES by Jodi Meadows and ajfdksalfd I’ve been waiting for this forever.
- There’s a super cute dragon coin purse. Or you could put your soul in there, if it’s withered and shrunken like mine.
- Mother of Dragons bookmark from Ink And Wonder Designs. It’s made of wood so you can eat it.
- Percy Jackson bath salts which are not, in fact, little edible chocolate rocks. Not that I made a mistake or anything.
- Book sleeve!! With a super cute unicorn and mermaid hugging AND I REALLY LOVE IT!! It’s for keeping your paperbacks safe when you leave the house. Except, I never leave the house so I’m probably going to use it as a sleeping bag for my hand.
- Cute sticker of Hagrid and Buckbeak!
- There’s a letter + signed book plate + little dragon booklet.
- DRAGONS THO. AMIRITE.
- So the BEST news is that my cutest little relatives visited!! I moved 3 months ago and miss them rabidly (and my library???? this is seriously the worst move of my life) but I owned them back for TWO WEEKS and we had a lot of fun.
- They’re super cute and really cheeky and pretty much think that (a) if I’m eating food it should be theirs, and (b) it’s fun to show affection by jumping on my head.
- It’s OK I didn’t want a head anyway.
- My 4yo niece also took over my #bookstagram photoshoots because she could do it better than me. Obviously.
- This was my 2yo niece’s face when I told her I hadn’t made her breakfast yet.
- Like same, kid, same. I understand.
- I didn’t get a lot of reading done while they were here, but I’m up to 196 books read this year SO OKAY THEN CAIT. DO U HAVE A LIFE. (Spoiler: no.)
- We also ate a lot of ice cream and I sat on them occasionally. #Quality #Aunting
- After these smol typhoons left, I got stuck into editing. Because I hate myself I’m trying to turn a 125,000-word contemporary into an 85,000-word contemporary. DID I MENTION I HATE MYSELF. Also who the heck writes a 125K contemporary anyway, Cait????
- This is my Peter Pan retelling and it’s actually a sequel and it actually has STOLEN MY HEART. I’m super nervous though because it deals with some personal #ownvoices topics for me. And it’s supposed to be easy to “write what you know” but let me tell you it’s freaking hard.
- I don’t wish to feel things. Ugh. Get it off me.
- But did I mention that I absolutely L O V E this book.
- Also send whiny texts to my sister about the trials of the writers’ life. 10/10 for her horrible encouragement skills.
- Dude, I’ll have you know, I DID write a cute scene. It was super super cute. No one died. Ha!
- I also have 50K left to edit.
- send help
- Do you want to talk about NaNoWriMo? Haha, yeah me neither. I’ve written 6 books this year but I kind of have to do NaNo for tradition. I do not have a book. I have a vaguely blob-shaped thing that could be a book and it’s about a boy who dances instead of walks and a girl who carries knives and dreams of flying…and she kidnaps him so they enter a dance contest. BUT IT’S AN UNDERBAKED NOODLE RIGHT NOW. But I’m fond of it.
- I don’t even have a pinterest board???
- Obviously I can’t write without one.
- So October = finish editing, write an outline, prepare for NaNo, try to find your brain because you put it in a box somewhere and now it’s gone.
- Also did you hear Picmonkey is now PAID FOR?!?!??!?!? I’m so freaking angry. There are other alternate apps out there but I’m used to Picmonkey and none of the others have high enough quality for me to do Society6 designs. And I don’t want to pay $80 up front for a year???!!? If I could pay for a few months, ok. But noooooooo. So excuse me while I’m crying. I’m currently screenshotting my photos but I CANT’ DESIGN FOR SOCIETY6 WHAT DO I DO.
- And I 5000% will not be fought with over the fact that Leigh Bardugo made a Six of Crows reference in her new book Wonder Woman. Don’t argue @ me.
- Also Wonder Woman was amazing!
- My twitter activity over the time I went viral. Hahahaa…oh. Is that a million.
- I had to take introvert time away from my twitter.
- Do you remember how I have a bullet journal? Yeah me neither. All good intentions end around October, don’t they?
- Speaking of October I will now cry because Halloween isn’t a thing in Australia and EVERYONE MAKES IT A THING ON INSTAGRAM. So I’ll just be somewhere by myself feeling left out, okay? Okay. The problem with Bookstagram (and all their freaking challenges) is that they forget not everyone is in America so Halloween + Autumn = I have no challenges to do!!! #HELP.
- Yes, I am whining. I’ll shut up soon.
- A parental baked a beautiful looking grapefruit pie which sounds disgusting and looks lovely and I did not partake. But I took photos. Because aesthetic.