The Great Library series is absolutely one of my most favourites, and guess who gets to be on the blog tour for the Smoke & Iron?!?
Meeee!! Your absolutely wildly enthusiastically delighted FAVOURITE FURY! (I am assuming you don’t have other Furies or, if you do, I am still the best of them.) I’m so ecstatic right now, ok. I absolutely loved this latest addition to the series and am screaming softly because this one wrecKED me just a little. As all good books should.
So coming up we have:
☆ an excerpt from Smoke & Iron by Morgan’s POV!
☆ some incredible giveaways, including a signed hardcover copy of Smoke & Iron
☆ me, gushing, in a review
☆ and, of course, NO SPOILERS!! so you’re safe to read on if you haven’t been keeping up with the series!
Smoke And Iron (The Great Library #4) by Rachel Caine is published July 2018!
To save the Great Library, the unforgettable characters from Ink and Bone, Paper and Fire, and Ash and Quill put themselves in danger in the next thrilling adventure in the New York Timesbestselling series.
The opening moves of a deadly game have begun. Jess Brightwell has put himself in direct peril, with only his wits and skill to aid him in a game of cat and mouse with the Archivist Magister of the Great Library. With the world catching fire, and words printed on paper the spark that lights rebellion, it falls to smugglers, thieves, and scholars to save a library thousands of years in the making…if they can stay alive long enough to outwit their enemies.
Rachel Caine is the New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of more than fifty novels in a diverse range of genres and categories. She’s been honored with multiple awards from RT Booklovers Association and the Texas Library Association, and was honored with two spots on the 2012 “Most Favorite Books of UK Schoolchildren” list. In 2006, she created the Morganville Vampires series in young adult, and premiered the TLA-listed novel Prince of Shadows in 2015, and the new Great Library series with Ink and Bone in 2016. Rachel and her husband R. Cat Conrad live and work in Fort Worth, Texas.
May contain spoilers for past books so I’ve made it so you have to “show more” if you want to read the full chapter! ENJOY!
Now this is going to come as a shock to you but…I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK.
The Great Library series is just one of my favourites (the covers are also so beautiful my eyeballs ran off and married them) and I should talk about it more because it’s inventive, unique, heartwrenching, full of family and friendship, the plots can get super schemey (which is the BEST kind of plot) and at the end of it all = it is about book appreciation.
BOOK APPRECIATION. There is nothing that’s going to make me fall in love faster than an entire series devoted to people who would die for books. I mean, same.
Since we’re at the 4th book in the series, the stakes are HIGH.
The last book ended in a wicked cliffhanger (!!) and this one just throws us back into the thick of it. Our book-loving-protection-squad are all split up and traumatised. And being, ya know, tortured. But rebellion is HERE. I lovelovelove how everyone’s lives were on the line and I didn’t feel like everyone was safe — which is super good. Although there was WAY more threats of terror than actually having it follow through. What can I say. I am a little dark. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think we could’ve had a little more terror on-page to make things seem more real. But I still FREAKING LOVED IT.
Jess, Khalila, Wolfe and Morgan all narrate this time! I did miss not seeing as much of Jess, but everyone was so split up so this worked super well. Also Khalila’s narration was the utter best. I looove her so much.
- There is basic 100ft line of people wanting to smack Brendan and Jess into the middle of next week due to their schemes.
- Dario offers to do dirty work until he realises he can’t wear his tailored beautiful clothes. Then he retracts.
- KHALILA RULES AND SHOOTS BADIES AND PRAYS FOR YOUR SOUL AND IS SWEET AND KIND AND WILL ALSO END YOU. I FREAKING LOVE HER.
- Brendan. BRENDAN. Since he and Jess are swapping places he ends up writing Jess this letter that is basically: “I have to read books to pretend to be you. I hate reading. Pls let this be over before I end you and then myself and then the entire world.”
- I love Jess and Brendan and how they backstab each other occasionally but won’t let anyone else do it. Also whenever someone says, “Ah family bonds!” They both laugh and laugh and laugh. Their dad would sell them for a peanut.
- (Lowkey sad we didn’t get more of Brendan in this book, though. THE SLYTHERIN TO JESS’ RAVENCLAW. I love him so so much!! My Slytherin son.)
- Glain just hits people and like, I feel this.
- THERE IS A DRAGON.
- We go way more into depth about the Obscurists and Morgan’s corrupt power which was so interesting!
- As always the diversity is on point, with the leading characters being of all races, Khalila being a practising Muslim, one of the main couples being queer, and everything so respectful and amazing!
- Wolfe and Santi still steal the show every time they’re on page.
- It raises the stakes way way too high at the end — AND I JUST WANT TO SAY I’M SCREAMING A BIT OK.
- ALRIGHT FINE. A LOT. I’M SCREAMING A LOTTTTT.
Smoke and Iron is a masterfall addition to the series, where stakes are high, characters are screaming (or that’s me who’s screaming, IDK) and the story never lags as it races us towards the terrifying finale. The Library’s corruption is falling. There are monsters and murders. Betrayals and sacrifices for the ones you love so much. And it’s all so strongly rooted in friendship that I just ADORE EVERY PAGE.
Exclusive Blog Giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway