The best thing about book boxes is it’s like Christmas in a box…ANY TIME OF YEAR.
And I freaking love boxes. I used to collect them as a kid (who care what’s inside) and this brings to my attention that I might also be a cat. But anyway. I’m doing an unboxing of the latest @PageHabit book box! I’ve only just started dong some unboxing reviews here on the blog, but usually you can catch them on my instagram. You can catch a lot of things on my instagram actually, like me obsessing over Maggie Stiefvater books OR me posing like a dead bird in interesting socks OR you can even catch insanity. It’s very fun. 10/10 recommend following me.
Anyway stop distracting me. We are here to talk about PAGE HABIT! And before we dive into the unboxing here is some fun stuff to know:
- There are a ton of book boxes out there yadda ya, but what makes PageHabit special!? THE AUTHORS ALWAYS ANNOTATE THE BOOKS.
- Insert me + heart eyes = here.
- Part of the proceeds of these boxes also go to help promote children’s literary in underprivileged countries!
- I’m actually the cutest affiliated promoter of these boxes you will EVER meet. You love me. So if you want to buy a box, use my special link and I will also then love you back.
- Also fun fact: you get FREE shipping (or $5 off for INT) on your first order if you use my code “PAPERFURY”.
- It is literally like Christmas in a box, minus the fruit mince pies which are a crucial part of Christmas obviously (but I’ve heard many Americans don’t know what they are???? I’m disappointed @ you.)
- Haven by Mary Lindsey, which is ANNOTATED of course!
- Plus a cute letter from the author!
- Short story about Owls.
- Book mark magnifying glass.
- Light box keychain that you can make spell whatever you want!
- Super sturdy and cute book bag with city + library design!
- Pagehabit bookmark.
- Packing that kind of looks edible — OR SO MY DOG THINKS AND I HAD TO BREAK IT TO HIM THAT NO.
The featured book is Haven by Mary Lindsey. And I admit, I had not heard of this one before which is actually terrifying because if I haven’t heard of a book…what have I been doing?!?? * My very favourite thing is when people say, with a very flat 1000% done face, “Cait I literally cannot look up a book on goodreads without finding you’ve already reviewed it.” I HAVE NO LIFE OKAY. JUST BOOKS.
Anyhow. Haven was both (a) a delightful surprise, and (b) full of paranormal weirdness and evil magical cookies. I actually really like finding these hidden gems! And also it’s nice to know Pagehabit picks hidden-gem-books because there’s so much less risk of me already having bought it.
Anyhow, Haven is basically a story of a boy named Rain who goes to live with his aunt in a super creepy little town where everyone turns out to have supernatural paranormal secrets. Apparently this is usual for small towns? Which is GREAT news because I live in a tiny town and I swear if the cows don’t turn into aliens or werewolves don’t bust out of the forests SOMETIME SOON I’M GOING TO LOSE MY MIND. Excuse me.
* Um probably writing. I legit spent the last six months scrawling out words at maniac speed and also eating a wall. So yes.
SMOL LIST OF THINGS I LIKED:
- It twisted a lot of the “cliche” stereotypes by having a boy narrate!
- I saw someone call this a “reverse Beauty and the Beast” and like that totally makes sense?!?
- I knoooow a lot of people think paranormal is dead, but I actually really like it! I also seriously like werewolf books because the mythology is super interesting AND I like dogs.
- These are not dogs.
- Probably don’t pat them.
- The love interest, Freddie, is really badass and when Rain confesses he’ll die for her, her #1 reaction is: “Mate, you need help.” I LOVE HER SHE TOOK NO NONSENSE!
- There’s a lot of blood.
- And murder.
- And some very bad wine and very bad cookies.
- The book has such a sinister vibe that it really was super captivating.
- Perhaps it wasn’t extremely original and it was a bit heavy on the smexy, but it was lots of fun and there are tons of conspiracies and mysteries to unwind and the occasional dead body for the mortician to get excited over.
Also I SO enjoy reading the author’s notes throughout the book!! It’s like a “behind-the-scenes” sneak peek and it’s endlessly interesting!
Bookmark magnifying glass!
This is great because I’ve always wanted to be Sherlock Holmes and hopefully I can whip this out when anyone doubts my career path. Also I guess you could use it on actually words and not just to look like a pretentious Holmes detective??? But I don’t know, that seems weird.
Short story about owls!
I think these seems MARVELLOUS because I love owls! I love how they only go out at night and all they do is like…find food. This seems so relatable. Also that owl on the cover is very beautiful and looks like Hedgwig and — OH WOW. PAINFUL MEMORIES…EXCUSE ME A MOMENT.
So you can actually put your own words into this and I chose “Paper Fury” because I’m self-obsessed. I also made the letters crooked on purpose…haha hah HAHAHA HA. Yes. Please believe me and not that I have poor coordination skills. Anyhow, it lights up when you click the button and I assume this will also come in handy as a torch for when I’m lost in dark forests searching for werewolves under the blood mood. As is normal.
And lastly…a book bag!
I think the design is super cute and I hugely relate to the small figure looking at the city and trying to weigh up whether it’s worth facing people in order to get to the library. UGH THE SACRIFICES WE INTROVERTS MAKE. Also it’s so sturdy?! I’m pretty sure I can fit 50 tonnes of books in here no worries.
I should probably test it out though, right??
- December’s book is a “twisty-turvy suspense you won’t be able to put down” which sounds super promising and also exactly how I describe my cooking also.
- Also just in caaase you don’t want a YA box, they actually have a ton of different genres and categories to check out.
- GO CHECK IT OUT HERE.
- Also “PAPERFURY” = free shipping in the US. Don’t forget!
- Also these would make a great Christmas present?! For…like yourself. You deserve it.
- And don’t forget ALL their books are annotated by the authors!!