There comes a time in every bookworm’s life when they are just TOO TIRED to read.
I know. It’s a horrible realisation. There are several options for how to cope with this trauma, and they include:
- You could take a nap and rest those weary little eyeballs, but this seems rather weak and why would you do this???
- You could read anyway because fatigue is not your master and who cares if you fall asleep with a hardcover stabbing you in the ear.
- You could lie on the ground and just relax / rest, but to be honest this generally ends up with one staring at the ceiling and have an existential crisis so #DoNotRecommend.
- You could ignite your inner potato and watch TV shows which is much less work on the brain.
Therefore! It is time for a “if you like this book, you might like this TV show” list which will be monstrously fun and also monstrously difficult. Why? Because I barely ever watch TV shows. I have the attention span of a gnat and while a 40minute show suits me magnificently…actually finishing a season? I’M TOO YOUNG FOR ALL THIS COMMITMENT. But putting that aside, I do love several shows (the creepy ones, obviously) and get totally obsessed with them. Plus when life is too overwhelming, it’s nice to let my tired brain potatofiy * with a TV show.
* You don’t think “potatofiy” is a word? FIGHT ME.
I’m linking up with Top Ten Tuesday for “tv-themed topic” and NO THERE ARE NOT TEN SHOWS LISTED HERE. Mostly because the post is already over a thousand words and I listed 5 shows. AM I TALKING TOO MUCH THESE DAYS??? SOMEONE MAKE ME SHUT UP BY FEEDING ME CAKE. And you may notice a slight pattern in how my show obsessions involve murder or murder or sometimes, to break things up, murder. #ISwearImNormal
Supernatural is like my all-time-favourite-of-ever-first-TV-fandom-utter-obsession show. I’M NOT EVEN ASHAMED I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Nothing beats Supernatural, okay?!? Season 9 is everything, if you wanted to know. And shush, you totally wanted to know, don’t give me that eyeroll. Supernatural is basically about hunting monsters and being sassy and ruining the world. Multiple of times. Why have the apocalypse once, when you can incur it again and again?!? Also #BROTHERS FOR THE WIN.
- GOOD OMENS is literally Supernatural in book form. I’M NOT KIDDING. It’s about Crowley and a very gay angel in a trenchcoat and it’s about an antichrist named Adam who’s not actually that bad and a really cute hellhound and it’s absolutely hilarious. Read it.
- RIDERS is about the 4 horseman of the apocalypse. I think Dean and Sam killed them all this one time?? But whatever. Here you go.
- Any Shadowhunter book will do, but I’ll specifically yell about LADY MIDNIGHT because it is the best in my perfect opinion. But hello demon hunters!
- THIS SAVAGE SONG is also about monsters that get stabbed because humans are #rude. It’s also one of my favourite books ever so I’m not sure why you’re still here reading my post GO READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. *
- SISTERS RED is about two sisters who hunt werewolves. Very similar right? Except these sisters don’t start kissing the werewolves like some BROTHERS AND DEMONS I COULD NAME BUT I WON’T BECAUSE I’M NOT A SHAMER.
* I’m kidding actually. Finish my post because it’s a good post and I spent hours on these pretty graphics specifically to please your eyeballs. But after this go read all the books I tell you to read. Then we’ll all be happy.
Do not let the title of Teen Wolf fool you. It is not a cutesy show. THIS SHOW WILL TRAUMATISE YOUR BUNNY SLIPPERS INTO HIDING. I love it. It balances humour + high school setting + creeptastic monsters + werewolves + murder = all quietly pleasantly. (Is “pleasantly” the right word here?? Eh. It works.) Plus it has Stiles who is the most precious thing on this planet.
Also this show will probably rip out your heart and eat it. Because wolves. And also #feels.
- SHIVER because of the werewolves, obviously, although Shiver really isn’t that creepy? But the sass levels are there.
- HALF BAD which is entirely creepy and more witchy than werewolf-y BUT IT’S TRAUMATISING SO IT FITS. Also there are animal shape-shifters here so someone give me a gold star.
- THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER does not have werewolves, but it does have the creeptastic vibe and teenagers sporadically screaming because of freaky stuff going down. Honestly who would go to high school?? I’m 98% sure the reason I’m not a paranormal creature is because I homeschooled. *
* Homeschool maybe does promote a mentality of “world ruler syndrome” because we’re so SMART and also manage our own time. No? Just me? Okay then.
I’ve only just started watching Stranger Things (I’m on episode 4 so NO SPOILERS OR I WILL CUT YOU) but I’m totally obsessed. It’s actually creeping me out so bad. But who needs restful sleep? Hahahahha. Not me. Anyway: think mysterious little town + missing people + set in the 80s + a twelve year old with mind powers + government conspiracy + monsters + let’s-go-into-the-slimy-monster-tunnel-what-could-go-wrong.
By the by…why are all the shows I watch creepy? I’M SENSING A PATTERN HERE.
- GONE because we gotcha superpower kids who are more than a little disturbing. Twelve year olds are too adorable to be so stabby but we love them.
- THE GIRL FROM THE WELL is more about ghosts, but it’s sufficiently creepy and there are psychotic children and dead people.
- THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST has definitely got monsters in the woods and children running after them…I mean. What is with the youth these days. So eager to throw away their souls to the paranormal beasts.
- THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is about a very abnormal child raised in a graveyard so it works.
- GRUNGE GODS AND GRAVEYARDS has the same 80s / 90s vibe plus more dead people in the woods. If this doesn’t deter you from seeking out nature, what will?
Game of Thrones is simultaneously the BEST and WORST thing ever. It’s pretty heavy going (sex and violence wise) so be thee aware if you want to watch. Also, like, EVERYBODY DIES and I don’t consider it a spoiler because it’s George RR Martin. He kills everything, it’s just fact. ANYWAY. The plot is freaking amazing and the world-building is phenomenal and THERE IS JON SNOW’S HAIR. #HairAppreciation Also yes this is actually a book series. So go read it. But here are some other YA options. Plus they are all, like, way way way less likely to give you an education on the human anatomy.
Also noooooo I have not seen the latest season. I WANTED TO READ THE BOOK FIRST. Hahhahaah…yes I’m ridiculous.
- AND I DARKEN has the political intrigue and the humungous world and the stabbiness going on.
- THE DEMON KING which has tons of plot twists and also features one of my top ever OTPs and people blast each other’s heads off with magic so that’s fun.
- PRINCE OF THORNS is…not YA. Why is it here, Cait? What are you? Some kind of reader of adult fantasy?????? I CONFESS. I do read adult fantasy because it is good and much much darker which pleases my evil heart. Anyway. This is about a psychotic 14 year old prince who is a DOWNRIGHT EVIL and kills everything. IT’S SO BAD IT’S GOOD.
- LEGACY OF KINGS has a billion points-of-view so it definitely resembles Game of Thrones in that respect! Plus political storylines, slight hint of magic, creepy villains, and general stabbing.
- HALF A KING is another adult fantasy…sheesh, what is this. BUT REGARDLESS it’s entirely fantastic and very sassy and features a lost king with only one hand. I think he’s like 19 which isn’t too far off YA. And is there stabbing? OF COURSE. YOU KNOW ME BY NOW. THERE’S ALWAYS STABBING IN MY RECOMMENDED BOOKS.
Leverage fulfils all the heist needs of my life. And I have many heist-needs. (No no, I am actually a super good person and I don’t even get library fines! Except for one time… Oh and I stole my sister’s chocolate once. But moving forward.) It’s basically a modern Robin Hood where a team pulls of EPIC HEISTS on the rich / evil of the world. So they’re all criminals. And they make this adorable sassy family with so many problems and basically I AM SO SAD THERE’S NOT MORE SEASONS. Plus the hitman is a foodie chef. So. You can understand why I’m here.
- SIX OF CROWS because yes to mastermind heist plots (although this is fantasy, not modern like Leverage).
- WHITE CAT which is also about wonderful crime families, thieving, and evil magic as a bonus and honestly this book is so underrated I could cry. (I could also be crying from allergies because I’m allergic to cats but whatever. Read it.)
- TRUST ME, I’M LYING which actually isn’t my favourite book ever, buuuuuut. HEISTS.
- HEIST SOCIETY which looks like a fluffy book and guess what? IT IS. But it’s also got heists and very clever plot twists I would like to eat. As you do.
- HOW TO LEAD A LIFE OF CRIME in case you need a specific how-to book. HAHAH I’M JOKING. It’s actually about a school for psychopaths, but they do steal things. Because psychopaths need hobbies I guess?
Now before you dash off because our eyeballs are SO TIRED from reading this mammoth post and you need to watch a TV show and rest…I’m going to quickly list some other shows I love and a few I want to try. Ergo then you can give me recommendations! Now that you know I love paranormal / stabby / mystery / heisty shows. RECOMMENDATIONS = GOOD TIMES FOR ALL. (Well, specifically good times for me.)
OTHER SHOWS I LOVE
SHOWS I SHOULD WATCH MAYBE???? #HELP