Fictional characters and I have an intriguing relationship. And by “intriguing” I usually mean “squinting dubiously and judging their life choices”. Don’t get me wrong: I LOVE characters. I think they’re the best part of the story. They’re the CAKE OF LIFE. (You knew I was going to reference cake somewhere in this post, didn’t you? Yes. Yes you did.) A book cannot truly be good, in my opinion, without good characters. But I do often struggle to relate to characters. (I am a Vulcan.) So I’m often have thoroughly opposite opinions on who I LIKE* and who I DESPISE**.
Lucky for you, today is all about sharing these cantankerously opposing opinions.
I’m linking up with Top Ten Tuesday for their prompt “Characters Everyone Loves But I Don’t/I LOVE But Others Dislike“. And I’m doing 5 of each. And it was ridiculously easy to find ones I-hate-but-everyone-else-loves…APPARENTLY I AM A DISAGREEABLE GUAVA.
* And let’s face it: I always love the anti-heroes. Always. It’s probably a problem, but not one I’m sad about.
** And I’m also very unforgiving. So if a character does something that disgusts me to the very bones of my dragonish soul…I will burn them with fire basically. It’s all very DRAMATIC around here. Sheesh.
CHARACTERS I DESPISE (BUT EVERYONE ELSE LOVES?)
- RON & SNAPE: Oh calm down. LET ME EXPLAIN. I dislike bullies, okay? I truly do. I believe there is NEVER a reason to torment other people…even if you are hurting. Aka, Snape can go facedive into a cuttlefish for all I care. HE IS NOT REDEEMED. And Ron was also a bully, but worse, he was an immature, selfish, clueless bully for no reason. He didn’t even notice half the time, and that’s what made me furious. Also I DO NOT SHIP HIM AND HERMIONE AT ALL. Because let’s just get all my shocking Harry Potter confessions* out right now, eh? I dislike immensely people who hurt others in the name of “liking them”. No. No no no.
* My biggest Harry Potter confession is that I only started reading it last year and only just read the last book in January this year. SORRY. I did I like the series! But I have, um, many quibbles to pick. Like why didn’t Harry marry Luna Lovegood? #ishipit
- MAL: Mal was a moody mammoth. That’s all I can say. NO WAIT. I CAN SAY MORE. Mal irritated me because he couldn’t be bothered to tell Alina he had feelings for her until there was competition. And he sort of acted like he “owned her”…because they were childhood friends? NO. SIT DOWN, MAL. #TeamNikolai
- CELAENA SARDOTHIEN: You know what? I used to love Celaena. She was sassy, fierce, loved books and cake and puppies and pretty clothes, and could probably murder you with a toothpick. I WAS A VERY EMPHATIC FAN. But I am not anymore. Why? LEMME LIST THEM FOR YOU: a) she used to care about her friends but, pfft, not anymore because she can get new/better/stronger friends later and b) because promising to love someone apparently doesn’t mean anything to her, and c) she gives up on her “friends” in a heartbeat. FRIENDSHIP IS SACRED, OKAY? AND CELANEA SPITS ON IT IN QUEEN OF SHADOWS AND I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HER. (Someone is emotionally damaged goods here, eh? Me. ME.)
- JEBEDIAH HOLT: Remember all the stuff I said about Mal above? It’s the same for Jeb. My biggest pet peeve is that he wouldn’t let Alyssa do anything. Protecting her? More like CONTROLLING HER, HMMMPH. If Alyssa wanted to get down a cliff, Morpheus would push her off and say “I believe you can fly” and Jeb would say “lemme carry you down because you can’t do it”. #TeamMorpheus
- ECHO: I’m not sure if “everybody” loves Echo from The Girl At Midnight. MAYBE??? From a cursory glance over Goodreads reviews, I saw most people loving her snappy one-liners and spunky attitude. As for me? Haaaaaa. NOPE. I honestly felt like Echo thought she was better than everyone and her sarcasm sneaked onto the “rude” category. I like polite sarcasm. IS POLITE SARCASM A THING? LET’S MAKE IT A THING.
CHARACTERS I ADORE (BUT EVERYONE ELSE DOESN’T?)
- SANSA STARK: I am constantly annoyed that Sansa* is the “ugh” Stark child. NO. NO SHE’S NOT. I feel like she gets dismissed so easily because a) she likes pretty things, b) she wants a handsome prince, and c) she doesn’t like to be dirty/rough/physical. In other words: SANSA LIKES TO BE FEMININE. Yay for her! I, admittedly, am nothing like Sansa — but I haaaaaate how the girls in literature who like pretty things are so often just called shallow and dismissed. NOT COOL, FOLKS. (Plus, I would be quite happy with Sansa on the Iron Throne, FYI. She has matured so much over being tortured for five books. Fun times. #not)
- KATNISS EVERDEEN: Okay, obviously a ton of people love Katniss. But honestly? Whenever I hear her mentioned on the blogosphere it’s when she’s being called “as emotional as plastic plate”. DID WE FORGET THE PART WHERE SHE WAS SCREAMING FOR THEM TO LET HER SEE PEETA? Katniss has tons of emotion. Also I connect to her like 100000% because a) food is everything, b) cats are not, c) if a boy says he loves you, it probably is a good idea to push him into a vase, to be honest…definitely what I would do, and d) suffering from mental illnesses PLUS having huge expectations on you is really hard and I admire Katniss 100000%.
- LUKE SON OF HERMES: Shhhh, this is my little sneaky one. ANTI-HERO LUKE I LOVE THEE. Okay, wait. Anti-hero? I think he was just an outright villain but…but he just wanted his dad to love him. (Also Luke was the only saving grace of the Percy Jackson movies. I mean, seriously. He’s adorable and the “get off my roof” line is something I use at least once a day. It’s applicable to all situations. Someone takes your cake: answer “get off my roof”.)
- THOMAS: I think Katniss and Thomas would get along famously since neither ever know what’s going on and are rather emotionally reserved. HENCE I LOVE THEM. (Although, again, sometimes I’m not sure if I love Thomas… or Dylan O’Brien playing Thomas in the movies. JURY IS OUT.)
- SAM & GRACE: Again, obviously not “everyone” dislikes these two because the series is a bestseller. BUT. I GOTTA SAY IT: I ADORE AND SHIP THEM MONSTROUSLY HARD. My favourite couple in the series, is, without doubt, Isabel/Cole. But Sam and Grace were sweet. And there aren’t enough SWEET couples out there. They are both poetry and books and origami cranes and coffee shops and promises of forever. Like, excuse me, that is too adorable for words. I’m having about NINE EMOTIONS right now and that’s intense. I hear people say that they’re “bland” and “boring”; but I think they’re real. I think they’d last. I THINK I SHALL SHIP THEIR CUTE WOLFISH HEARTS TO INFINITY.