I have books. It’s been an excellent specimen of a week.
Seriously, it was getting a bit scary there for a minute, with my TBR down to 4 books I didn’t feel like reading…and then I went op-shopping (thrift-storing/ secondhanding) with my mum and sister. I found BOOKS. No clothes, obviously. But so many books. I let out strangled gasps of afjkdlfasd when I found Skulduggery Pleasant books — UNREAD AND UNMARRED — and basically whispering my name. I adopted them immediately.
Also, incredibly, one of my mum’s friends (who is a famous food blogger) shared one of my posts and my blog had 3,000-page-views in ONE DAY. I-I-I am so amazed and excited and just wow. (I usually average around 700.) SO THAT HAPPENED.
- THE THIEF LORD: It was, like $2, at the op-shop. It’s Cornelia Funke. WHY WOULD I SAY NO?
- MESSENGER (The Giver #3): Did you know The Giver is a quartet?! I read book 2: Gathering Blue ages ago, but finally got around to book 3. The cliffhanger was RIDICULOUSLY CRUEL.
- GRAVE MERCY: For my book club! Assassin nuns, peoples, that’s all I can say.
- ME, EARL, AND THE DYING GIRL: Because it’s going to be a MOVIE.
- ALTERED: I’ve had this one on reserve at the library forever. Finally I get it and I can’t remember why I wanted it so desperately. #typical (Definitely tell me in the comments if this is a good one!)
- THE YOUNG ELITES: Again, I’ve wanted this forever BUT I’M RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED AND REMEMBER EXACTLY WHY I WANTED IT. It’s about villains. ‘Scuse me, I need a moment to flail.
- THE DREAM THIEVES: I won this from Ebony @ Daring Damsels and I cannot even begin to describe how HAPPY I am right now. Maggie Stiefvater is my favourite author of ever. Seriously, I’m having emotions all over the place this week. (I’ve read it already, obviously, but I want to REREAD soon.)
- VALIANT (book 2): I love Holly Black and I’m slowly collecting this trilogy. Backwards. Yup. I have book 3 (bought for 10 cents), and now book 2 (snagged second-hand for $4)…finding book 1 would make my day.
- THE UNLIKELY HERO OF ROOM 13B: This was incredible. Like, mind-blowingly incredible. Comics and OCD and the sweetest sibling relationships ever. Thank you Walker Books for the ARC!
- SHH!: I won this from the author, Stacey Nash! YAY.
- SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT: I bought Death Bringer (6), Kingdom of the Wicked (7) and Last Stand of Dead Men (8) from the op-shop (and totally flailed irrationally when I found them…what is breathing? i forget) and from the library I borrowed, The Maleficent Seven (7.5) and The End of the World (6.5).
The end of the world? So many books? Highly anticipated glorious papery wonders? PROMISES OF DESTRUCTION? I am so happy.
HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO READ NEXT!!
- SUNDAY: I detail the delicious adventure of making hot cross buns with preschoolers.
- MONDAY: Basically Half Wild by Sally Green was so fabulous. And oh look there is my heart bleeding on the ground.
- TUESDAY: Time for the monthly linkup of Beautiful People! This time it’s a siblings edition in honour of #NationalSiblingsDay
- THURSDAY: I ask why there’s so much sexism in Epic Fantasy and WOAH, the discussion is intense and detailed in the comment section. (Thanks, peoples! YOU ROCK.)
- FRIDAY: I review As White As Snow (woah, apparently it’s review-all-the-sequels-week on my blog) and it sadly didn’t live up to book 1.
\\ Click on see Goodreads reviews! //
- THE UNLIKELY HERO OF ROOM 13B: This. was. incredible. I AM SO BLOWN AWAY! It was an unsolicited ARC and I just didn’t expect it to steal my feels (and punch them). It’s about OCD and superheroes. (Go read it now. Like, don’t even talk to me. JUST GO READ IT.) ★★★★★
- DOROTHY MUST DIE: I’ve owned this for exactly 12 months. Finally read it. Definitely loved it. ★★★★
- GRAVE MERCY: I read this for my bookclub and…bleh. It was written in a historical toffee style and everyone was disturbingly psychopathic. ★★
- MESSENGER: This is the 3rd book in The Giver series. It. was. so. good. Basically most wicked cliffhanger EVER. I’m still crying. ★★★★
- EON: Ugh, where do I begin? Boring and awkward and nothing really happened. No one even got eaten by a dragon. #sodisappointed ★★
I love my instagram. I do not love that it makes the pictures so HUGE. (Does anyone know if there’s a way to embed them but make them smaller?)
I have a new niece. She is incredibly adorable. Buuuuut I can’t ever remember what her name is so I keep calling her Jupiter. Sorry @jandrdeutscher. #heractualnameisJuniper #baby #auntyfabulous #aunty #newbaby #thisisnotabookbutitisstillcutesoyoupeopleawontmind #alsomyfaceishereandprovesiamarealperson
I always read hardcovers with jacket off…and I discovered #dorothymustdie is decidedly gorgeous. Although kinda creepy. Tagged by @dulivre for #currentlyreadingtag! This is been on my TBR for exactly 12 months. I’m loving it!! #bookstagram #fairytaleretelling #thewizardofoz #whatifDorothywasapsycho #creepy #hardcover #undressedbooks #dustjacket #blackandred #bookworm #booklove A photo posted by Cait (@paperfury) on
- There’s a trailer out for Me, Earl and the Dying Girl which…I HAD NO IDEA WAS BECOMING A MOVIE UNTIL JUST NOW. So, yeah, I have the book. I’m going to catch up ASAP.
- While we’re talking about movies, have you seen this featurette for Age of Ultron?? I’m…kind of starting to FREAK OUT WITH INCREDIBLE FANGIRLING, OKAY?!!
- Starflight by Melissa Landers has a new GORGEOUS cover. I want it.
- Imogen @ Gossiping with Dragons is celebrating her blogversary! *throws confetti*
- Sam @ Bookish Serendipity has a blogger-collaboration post for book recommendations. (I AM ON THERE. SO EXCITED.)
- Katie @ The Goodness Revolt says we don’t have to be creative all the time.
- Amanda @ Of Spectacles and Books talks about censorship. (Love this post.)
I nearly sold out my Etsy store this week (which is a phrase I LOVE to say) so I’m preparing to post some trilogy book-necklace collections. What do you think?! And, honestly now, what are the logistics of wearing all 7-Harry-Potter books at once? Hmm? Can we make this work?
WELL (obviously) I’M AN AUNT AGAIN!! If you recall from my Hot Cross Buns post, I mentioned my incredible-large-with-child older sister (who blogs, by the way). It was a girl (!!) and she’s been named Juniper, which is an incredibly adorable name even though my brain refuses it and I accidentally always call her Jupiter. Whatever. She’s soft and squishy and adorable. I officially have 4 nephews/nieces…and it’ll be up to 6 by the end of the year. Pity me, please, at Christmas time.
ALSO! Walden Media favourited my tweet about reading Messenger (The Giver #3) and…let’s just say, I’M FAMOUS AND FABULOUS.