WOW. Intense month? I think yes.
A lot happened, including finding stacks of delicious book bargains 2nd hand, getting a new niece, I officially have read 100 books this year, and…oh, by the way, there was that day my blog hit 7,000-PAGEVIEWS IN 24 HOURS. SO YEAH. THAT HAPPENED. My post about 10 Things You SHOULD Tell Writers just exploded and everyone shared it (even a few big-name facebook pages!). So basically I went viral. Heck yeah. To put this in perspective, I usually get 600-pageviews a day. And yup. I’m back to 600. But it was a glorious 24 hours.
Also! Huzzah for 105 books read so far!
There is a slight possibility I’m an over-achiever.
Library reserves ALWAYS come all at once, I tell you. It’s a librarian’s conspiracy. And, as you can see, my fantasy kick is still going strong!
- ZARKORA: This was a surprise ARC from Hachette (thank you!!) and while it’s Middle-Grade, I’m still super excited because it’s written by an Australian brother-sister-team. HOW COOL, RIGHT?!
- WINTERGIRLS: Library! I already read it. It was…traumatic.
- GRACELING: I’m currently reading this and so far? LOVE. Library love!
- DEAR KILLER: I’ve wanted to read this forever, but the reviews are…less than glowing?! (Library.)
- VICIOUS: I AM SO EXCITED I COULD FLAIL LIKE A WILD AND UNABASHED GIRAFFE. I’ve wanted to read something by Schawb for a long looooong time and finally it is in my cold and clammy little paws. Oh, mwha ha ahaha. (Library.)
- THE REST OF US LIVE HERE: A surprise ARC from Walker Books (thank you!!) and I’m stoked because PATRICK NESS. Genius, that guy. Also WALKER BOOKS SENT ME CHOCOLATE. How nice are they? How incredible? They are my favourites forever and ever.
- THE LOST HERO (Heroes of Olympus #1): Look at me! Reading so much Riordan. I devoured it immediately (duh) and now I’ve read 5 Riordan’s this year. This was my FAVOURITE.
- DREAMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS (book #3): I’ve avoided this book because a) it’s the size of a small country, and b) I don’t want the trilogy to be over forever! Mixed emotions here, peoples. (I also didn’t love book 2 very much, so I’m nervous.)
HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO READ NEXT!
I am nothing if not an Instagram addict. Click the pictures to see them full-sized!
\\ click covers to go to Goodreads reviews! //
I read 25 books (which is a little calmer than last month’s 33, right?!). And I hit a few scowly bumps, so let’s dive in, shall we?
- BEST BOOK? HALF WILD! WITHOUT A DOUBT. I’ve been anticipating that sequel for months and it. was. perfect. My other 5-star reads were Death Bringer and A Game of Thrones and The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B.
- WISH I’D NEVER READ? Oh my gosh, hold my aching brain. The 100 and Hacked both got 1-stars and an appalled rage review from me. (I’m sorry except I’m not.)
- DID I LAUGH? Is Derek Landy on this list? YES. So of course I laughed my head off. Also Me, And Earl, and the Dying Girl had me snorting.
- COVER LOVE? Can we take a second to admire at my consistent colour scheme this month?? The dark greens and blues totally match. ANYWAY. I love Alice and the Fly!
- CHALLENGES? I flunked at finishing any series/trilogies this month. BUT! I read Rags and Bones and Dorothy Must Die and The Wicked Will Rise for the Fairy Tale Retelling challenge!
- MOST EATEN GENRE? I can’t get enough Epic Fantasy, peoples! I CANNOT. And for the first time in, like, EVER it’s my top eaten genre!! 8 epic fantasies! Contemporary is a close second, though, at 7.
- RATINGS? Usually I get one 1-star rating. But this month? UM. There were three of them. But the amount of 4-stars is positive! I’m not too ridiculously hard to please….yet.
I can, however, always be pleased with pie. And considering these are PIE charts…
WHAT YOU CLICKED ON THE MOST:
- 10 Things You SHOULD Definitely Tell Writers – this clearly wins the universe since it got my highest pageviews-in-one-day-EVER.
- Hot Cross Buns – clearly you peoples wanted to see a) food, and b) my face
- Why Is There So Much Sexism In Epic Fantasy? – an excellent question and everyone made it an excellent discussion!
INTRIGUING SEARCH RESULTS:
- writers mottos – Well my motto is basically “read a lot, write a fast, and avoid dubious vegetables”.
- who does alyssa end up with in ensnared – AS IF I’M SAYING. HA. GO READ IT.
- drive by book characters – I don’t even know what this means. Are they driving past something? Are they in need of take-away-food?
- paper furty – No. But keep trying.
- Sadly, The Raven King (Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater has been pushed back in release date. CRY WITH ME, MY FRIENDS. Although, I’m not really complaining, because it’s better than waiting 6 years like some of us **coughmecough** have been waiting for the last book in her Faerie trilogy. I will wait forever. I WILL.
- Jace has been cast for the new City of Bones TV series! (I got to admit, I cry a little because I think Jamie Campbell Bower was perfect.)
- Also Simon (no) and Isabelle (perfect) have actors!
- The Selection is becoming a movie! (Can you imagine the dresses?!! YAY.)
- YA author, Natalie Whipple, talks about being on subs and watching everyone else succeed while you have to wait. This article, tho, is amazing.
- John Green explains that book to movie adaptions can be loyal to the book without being scene-for-scene accurate.
- ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner are writing a new series together, pitched as Indiana Jones meet Tomb Raider…IN SPACE. I’m dying. I WANT.
Also, cover reveals!
I think I’m in love.
- Amanda & Stacie @ Beautiful Bookish Butterflies have a new look! (It’s gorgeous.
- And speaking of new looks Mel, Larissa and Celine @ YA Midnight Reads have one too and it, also, is fabulous. GEE YOU GUYS. EVERYONE IS SO SPIFFY.
- Also Kelly @ Diva Booknerd has a new design. IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE AIR? (Also gorgeous!)
- Treskie @ Occasional Randomness is going to do a giveaway of her fabulous drawings when she reaches 100!! Basically she’s fabulous and sickeningly talented so GO FOLLOW HER.
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight admits all the bookish things that confuse her. (It is totally ludicrous that the SAME book can have different titles. What even?! I’ve literally borrowed two books, read one, and then started on the other with a strange sense of deja vu. Whyyy do publishers do this?!!)
It rained a lot this month, which made me miserable. Miserable-Cait basically ran her small business and avoided writing. BUT! I did manage to wrangle out 5 book ideas — they’re completely plotted! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS. All I need to do now is…write…them.
Also this conversation went down after Walker Books sent me chocolate:
Proof that Australian publishers are the best in the universe.
Just a few quick housekeeping squeaks:
- It’s my 4th blogversary at the end of this month aaaaand…I WANT TO DO SOMETHING BIG! Maybe a party? Maybe a huge giveaway? I don’t know, peoples, but if you’ve got suggestions/things you’d like to see me do…shout out!
- Are you getting email replies to your comments?! I’ve been fiddling with settings a lot to try and get this to work, so let me know with the poll below! (If you don’t comment regularly, don’t answer the poll! It’ll confuse me, and you don’t want to do that.)