Apparently it’s halfway through the year.
Wait. Stop. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? I now feel notoriously guilty for having neglected writing for the last 5 months, but I have read 132 books and been having quite glorious success with my Etsy store (finally). I shall explain the reasons behind the writing woes in a minute. BUT FIRST!
Thank you to everyone who said such nice things on my blogversary post! There are, like, 130+ comments there, peoples, so you’ll understand why I’m not replying. BUT! We’ve been chatting furiously on my You Ask, I Answer post, so if you have a question for me? GET ON IT!
So I’ve read most of these already! Because I’m organised…OKAY FINE. Because I have a horrible habit of reading new shiny books instead of the ones that’ve weighed down my TBR for months. What can I say? I’m like a magpie. Shiny things…mine.
- FORTUNATELY, THE MILK: This was so stinkin’ cute. Unfortunately, it wasn’t MG…more like a children’s first reader? STILL. It’s Neil Gaiman. ★★★★
- BECAUSE YOU’LL NEVER MEET ME: Oh this was a highly anticipated book (and a surprise ARC, thanks Bloomsbury)…but, you know what? That ending…erk. It basically went unbelievable sci-fi. ★★★
- DENTON LITTLE’S DEATHDATE: SO FUNNY. Yes, I’ve read it already. Thanks Simon & Schuster. ★★★★
- 7 DAYS & THIRST: Little surprises from Scholastic! 7 Days sounds like a chick flick, but I’m up for people thirsting to death. EXCITING.
- ALL MY SECRETS & THE POTION DIARIES: I’m lumping ’em together because they were unsolicited from Simon & Schuster, and while I love Simon & Schuster…these two books? Nope. They were pretty ridiculous. ★★
- THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL: I was looking for good MG books…this got recommended on twitter. It sounds delicious. (Library.)
- SON (The Giver #4): I’m finally going to finish this quartet that I started when I was, um, 14. (Library)
- PERFECT SCOUNDRELS (Heist Society #2): I loved book one. Clearly I need more stealing paintings in my life. A 50 cents library sale find! And it doesn’t have any annoying library stickers, which makes my life infinitely better.
- BEAUTIFUL CREATURES: I found this for 50 cents. COME ON! It’s in beautiful (har har) condition and I’m game.
- ISLA’S INHERITENCE: Ooh, this was a fun Australian faerie story! I’ll be interviewing the author soon so grab yourself some popcorn, possibly some iron, and PREPARE. (Gifted from the author.) ★★★★
- LOVE MAY FAIL: This is an adult book, but hey, it’s Matthew Quick and I love his YA books! (Thanks Macmillan for the surprise review-copy!)
My new camera and I are the very best of friends. Naturally, I’ve instagramed a lot this last month! Click on the pictures to see the larger versions on my instagram!
I ate 28 books in May! I’m actually quite proud of the series I persued too! Because, me? I’m a notorious for NOT being a serial-eater. But I devoured 3 Riordans, 2 of the Infernal Devices books and finished up Laini Taylor’s trilogy (finally). SO GO ME.
- BEST BOOK? Oh this HAS to go to Vicious. I knew I’d like this book, but oh gosh it even exceeded my expectations. SO MUCH VILLAINRY. I also gave 5-stars to Challenger Deep and The Rest Of Us Just Live Here and Clockwork Prince.
- WISH I’D NEVER READ? I would very happily like to burn All My Secrets from my brain. Dumbest plot ever.
- DID I LAUGH? ARE YOU KIDDING?! I read three Rick Riordan books! I laughed like sugar-high penguin! Denton Little’s Deathdate also had me snorting.
- COVER LOVE? Those Infernal Devices books are just dang gorgeous, we’ll all agree.
- CHALLENGES? I added 3 more retellings to the Fairy Tale Retelling challenge and I completed a series! Daughter of Smoke and Bone is now DONE. I have to admit, I liked the first book a lot and the rest not-so-much.
- MOST EATEN GENRE? Um, so I think now is a good time to accuse me of being a paranormal/fantasy lover? ELEVEN BOOKS?! I can’t help it! I just adore magical things, okay?! Contemporary comes second with 6 books!
- RATINGS? I had such a good reading month! Sure there were more 1-stars than I usually get…but with the majority being 4?! I’m happy!
WHAT YOU CLICKED ON THE MOST:
- 10 Things You Should Regularly Tell Writers — DO IT.
- Blogversary Celebrations! — yay! So glad they were fun!
- 10 Problems of Being An Adult Reading YA — apparently a lot of us have these problems
- A Court of Thorns And Roses Review — which amuses me that this was much loved since I … didn’t love the book!
INTRIGUING SEARCH RESULTS:
- “in court of thorns and roses does feyre get hurt” — Um, have you READ Sarah J Maas before?! OF course Feyre gets hurt. Everyone gets hurt.
- “moustache and blood pressure” — I’m sure they’re scientifically related.
- “paper fyry” — Close! But yet so far…
- “paper furyi” — I really don’t see how it’s that hard. PAPER and FURY.
- “red queen victoria aveyard fanfiction” — I keep getting hits for this! WHY? I don’t even write fanfiction.
- “whats the difference between annalise and gabriel in half wild” — one is a girl and one is a boy? I think they have different hair colour as well.
- “because you know i’m all about that cake gif” — OMG. WHERE IS THIS GIF? I WANT IT.
- “why does madeleine roux write suspenseful stories” — I assume because she wants to. It’s weird how authors do this, though, geesh.
- “me nope i’m not just a fact listed on paper” — Not to pry, but I think you might have confidence and self-worth issues that maybe you should talk to someone.
- “paper fury competitons” — Someone isn’t telling me something. Do I hold competitions? SHOULD I BE?
- Epic Reads did another incredible realistic video on meeting favourite authors. IT IS THE BEST.
- George RR Martin is cancelling EVERYTHING so he has more time to write. How adorable.
- Did you see the trailer for The Scorch Trials?! IT LOOKS SO SO GOOD. (I won’t deny, I’m a ridiculously wild fan of this series.)
- Cristina @ Girl In The Pages asks if we’re too hard on heroines.
- Elizabeth @ Evil Overlord Thoughts mentioned me and my crazy word usage in her post and eeeep! I’m honoured!
- Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales is celebrating her blogversary too with a giveaway!
- Celine @ YA Midnight Reads did an excellent review on A Court of Thorns and Roses and outlined why it’s an abusive relationship.
Confession time: There is a reason I haven’t been actively writing this year. It’s partially good ol’ fashioned writers block, but I’ve also had a lot of gargantuan rejections. I CAN’T REALLY TALK ABOUT IT (dang it), but it’s abominably hard to write when the only feedback is negative. And I’m loathe to keep typing up the funky ideas that flit through my skull — because my brain is over-flowing. I want to write more stories that matter and chase less dust mites. Hence I’m not worried that I haven’t written much. And I do have a tentative new book for June (a YA contemporary, believe it or not! I KNOW. This fantasy writer is stretching herself) and hopefully it won’t be stubborn.
HA HA HA. Who are we kidding? I’m sure it’ll be stubborn. But I can do this.
Also! To those of you that’ve asked if I’ll be posting more Dead Boy and the Paper Cut chapters on Wattpad…the answer is probably not right now. I WANT TO! But I fell through a plot hole and landed in the Underworld, basically, and it was dark and cold and I ran away screaming. There’s 5 chapters so far and if you all act desperate enough…I might be persuaded to stitch up that plot hole.
OH! FEEL FREE TO ENTER MY BLOVERSARY GIVEAWAYS! They’re open INT and you can see the mini book necklace samples here.