I FINISHED WRITING MY BOOK. This calls for celebratory lasagna and sparkles, to be honest, because my last WIP (work in progress) has been one of the hardest I’ve ever extracted from my brain. I finished up at 54,000-words in 8 days. Which pleases me greatly. If you want to read snippets, I posted about this disagreeable book earlier this week.
Anyway. During this Week Of Writing, I read exactly zero books. Am I okay? Am I breathing still? Do I have a fever??? AM I GOING TO LIVE?? Who can know. My TBR dauntingly grew while I mentally elsewhere. And I accidentally totally on purpose bought some ebooks to reward myself for, you know, breathing. I’m hopelessly attracted to shiny new books. I love shiny things.
Am I a dragon?
I think I’m a shiny dragon.
IT TOTALLY GREW WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. 9 out of 11 of these were surprise review-copies. That is a lot, okay?! I didn’t even library! (I was very adult and exercised self-restraint.) I shall be busying gnawing on these this week. Books make me so happy.
- ROGUE (Talon #2): I won it!! SIGNED. Also it’s so shiny and scaly and it has 1000% confirmed my inner dragon tendencies. I loved Talon so I AM EXCITED.
- ZARKORA: Thanks Hachette! (I’ve already read/reviewed this one, but now I have a finished copy. I admit to unabashed cover love despite not being a fan of the story.)
- FREEDOM RIDE: Thank you Walker Books! This is about Australia and racism in the 1960s. It looks a bit daunting, to be honest.
- THE SOUND OF WHALES: Thanks Scholastic!
- STONE RIDER: Thank you Penguin! Looks action-y, which is always fun. Plus Michael Grant (best author ever) blurbed it, so that is excellent news.
- ROYAL WEDDING (The Princess Diaries #11): I have never read a Princess Diaries book. NEVER. I’ve never read a Meg Cabot book. This was a surprise from Macmillan (THANK YOU) but will it make sense?? I’ve seen the movies.
- MOLLY AND PIM AND THE MILLIONS OF STARS: Thanks Text Publishing! Looks kind of cute, right?!
- EXTRAORDINARY MEANS:
- BURN (The Rephaim #4):
- WILD HEARTS (If Only #4): Thanks Allen & Unwin. This looks like the kind of frippy (that is totally a word, by the way) romantic dramafest that will send me to my knees, begging a dragon to eat my brain. SO. I’m not sure I’ll attempt it. (I haven’t the first 3 either.) My bad. BUT WHO KNOWS? Stranger things have happened.
- UPROOTED: Thank you Macmillan! I was excited but…it’s prettier than it reads, sadly.
- MAGONIA: Harpercollins had a sale on Amazon some of their newest titles being under $3. HOW COULD I SAY NO? I’ve wanted to read Magonia forever.
- A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC: Also a sale. Under $2 on Amazon. (I saw it because the author tweeted about it.) And Vicious was sooo good, I just know I’m going to love this one.
- PAPERWEIGHT: This is about Mexico and eating disorders and death, basically. The cover is just hauntingly beautiful and oh, I have a total hand-bound ARC. I am so freakishly lucky.
HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO READ NEXT!!
- TUESDAY: What have I been up to lately? I talk about having a cold, writing a difficult book, getting chewed out online, and being obsessed with instagram.
- WEDNESDAY: My TBR is about to fall over and kill me, so here’s what I’m going to eat to stay alive.
- FRIDAY: I review The Catalyst (by a teen author!) which surprised me with brilliance despite a horrendous cover.
- SATURDAY: I talk about overlooked life-lessons like food before family and you should probably stab Caesar, that we can learn from books.
Click on see Goodreads reviews!
- UPROOTED: Yeah…no. I loved everything about this book except for the actual reading part. Too long and wordy. ★★★
- EXTRAORDINARY MEANS: SO CUTE AND SAD. I predicted the ending, but bah. Who cares? The romance is adorable and so much witty banter. ★★★★
- DEATH OF SPIDERMAN FALLOUT: Spiderman…dies? SO SAD. Apart from the sadness factor, though, it’s freakishly boring. ★★★
- ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP: This was cute. Spiderman bops around trying to find a partner. Also Black Widow is there briefly. ★★★★
Click on the pictures to jump over to my instagram for bigger images!
So LOTS OF THINGS HAPPENED RECENTLY. Let’s fangirl and flail as needed, shall we?
- Marissa Meyer is releasing a collection of short stories in February, 2016! So much happiness.
- Elizabeth Banks is in talks to direct the Red Queen movie! I’m not in love with that book and I feel like the time-of-the-dystopian is dying…but, hey. I never say no to an adaption.
- Epic Reads sums up YA parents quite beautifully.
- Here are pictures (!!) and details (!!) of the new Shadowhunter TV series as it’s started filming. Malec is adorable. Clary and Jocelyn are perfect. Simon is looking like a dork.
- Maggie Stiefvater and Cassandra Clare discussion how fandoms are hurting their authors and ruining the internet. Which is an incredible eye-opening discussion…people can be so cruel on the internet.
- MOCKINGJAY PART 2 TRAILER. CUE FLAILING.
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight talks about blogging slumps.
- Kara @ Diary of a Teen Writer discusses drafting processes.
- Emily @ Loony Literate talks about superpowers bookworms need. All of them. I want. Now.
- Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout asks if we give series second chances?
- Beth @ The Quiet People asks where all the average protagonists are? YA appears to have misplaced them.
- Mel @ YA Midnight Reads has tips on how to get people reading your blog.
- Engie @ Musings from Neville’s Navel does a roundup of more fabulous #VeryRealisticYA tweets. I can’t remember if I’ve shared this before?? Eh. Read it again. It’s awesome.
- Kate @ Ghost Parties has tips for taking better instagram pictures.
I’m quite relieved to be back into writing, and, because I AM ON FIRE (I am a dragon, remember) I’m tentatively planning to join in Camp NaNo in July! The cabins still terrify me. (I write alone, guys, I do.) So even if I don’t officially “sign up”, I’m thinking of sneaking back into fantasy, which is my old hunting ground, and doing a Russian heist and assassin novel. My pinterest board for it is my favourite thing of ever.
Buuuut, my latest book also needs to be redrafted/edited/burned with holy fire because it’s so awful…so.
We shall see.
ALSO! Don’t forget to enter my bloversary giveaways! They’re ending soon. And also last chance to win an ebook of Isla’s Inheritance from the author. Everything is open INTERNATIONALLY. And if you need a refresher on what the necklaces are…you can see them here on my Etsy store!