There are, apparently, only 152 more days in the year. I’M UNSURE HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THIS. Despite doing a lot recently, I still feel rather unproductive. I blame editing. It happens so slowly for me, it just leaves me gnashing my teeth and whimpering and feeling like I’ve accomplished NOTHING. But, on the edit front…I do have a small question to squawk to you regarding help for my book at the end of this post. So beware. Mwahahaha.
Also. CHANGE IS COMING. Which is terrifying, but hopefully it’ll be calm change and no one (this means me) will go crazy because of it.
- I’m not linking up with any weekend posts anymore (like “Sunday Post” or “Stacking the Shelves”). I don’t have time to properly join in the link ups nowdays. So what’s the point?! BUT. If you still want to link me to your weekend posts, I will adore that.
- A blog redesign is coming soon! YAY. I have an idea, but I’ve never spent money buying graphics before, so, I’m still debating on a few things. If anyone has recommendations for good (cheap? I’m poor) places to buy graphics or even ANY design tips: I will possibly hug you. At the very least I’ll smush cake in your face in gratitude.
- Also when I hit 1.5K followers, THERE WILL BE A GIVEAWAY. So tell people to follow my blog, okay? Go on, my little minions. I currently am on 1,420 dedicated minions.
So usually I get you peoples to vote for my next read. BUT I ACCIDENTALLY READ THESE ALREADY. And, can you believe this, but my TBR is actually only 3 books high at the moment. Oh. my. gosh.
- RUIN AND RISING (The Grisha #3): Such a disappointing conclusion. My ship sunk. I was bored.
- STRAY (Spark #2): Thank you Walker Books! I’m mildly keen for this one although, erm, I forget the ending of Spark. Oops. This is the only one in my haul I haven’t read yet!
- THE INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES OF CINNAMON GIRL: I snabbled this at my library sale for $0.50!! AREN’T I A GOOD BARGAIN HUNTER? Also I love this book and it’s full of food and Australianness.
- THE WOLF WILDER: Thank you Bloomsbury! Strangely…political?! It’s a middle-grade set in Russia but there aren’t nearly enough wolves.
- GRAFFITI MOON: Another $0.50 bargain from the library sale. I tore the spine getting the stickers off, though. I AM IN AGONY. (I love this book, by the way.)
- A STEP FROM HEAVEN: I read this because Engie said too. AND IT WAS GOOD. It’s about a Korean girl immigrating to America. Diversity is muchly.
- WHISPER: This is Australian (!) about a deaf girl (!!) and is surprising golden read (!!!). I didn’t have any expectations going in, but WOAH. Love.
I have such an instagram addiction. And who knows? Maybe one day I’ll even figure out how to use my camera PROPERLY and not just automatic everything and increase my fabulousness.
\\ click on covers to see the reviews! //
I read 28 books in July! And after June’s disasters? This month was bliss in the readingness. Although a few highly anticipated books shrivelled like fried limpets, I had THREE 5-star reads!
- BEST BOOK? Oh without a doubt it was The Wrath and the Dawn!! I LOVED that book. But I also gave 5-stars to The Accident Season and Demon Road.
- WISH I’D NEVER READ? Ugh, HAS to be Beastly. That book was, to be awfully punnish, beastly. I always wish I’d never read Mockingbird because I think it was a bad representation of Aspergers.
- DID I LAUGH? Demon Road had me in stitches! So SO witty. I also laugh while reading anything by George RR Martin…but I think that’s hysterical laughter?? I think I’m not okay anymore???
- COVER LOVE? I will always adore the series covers for the Grisha trilogy, even if Ruin and Rising broke my heart with its mehness.
- MOST SURPRISING? Probably Five Flavours of Dumb! It was just a semi-random swipe from the library and I really really loved it. (Also it’s about a deaf girl.)
WHAT YOU CLICKED ON THE MOST:
- WHEN DO YOU UNFOLLOW BLOGS? — This quite exploded my blog! So either you peoples are notoriously nosey of my motives OR it truly is a taboo topic we all think about but don’t talk about.
- DOES AUTHOR BEHAVIOUR INFLUENCE YOUR OPINION OF THEIR BOOKS?
- CAN YOUR TBR PILE BE TOO BIG? — I ask the tough questions.
INTRIGUING SEARCH RESULTS:
- “thanks name cake” — I don’t even know what this means. Are you thanking cake? Are you accusing me of being called cake? Very well, I accept.
- “types of writters” — dude, you need to work on your spelling.
- “types of weiters” — seriously, is it THAT had to spell writers? Are you a writer, Because I hope not?
- “a crown of thors and roses sarah” — I feel like Thor would be PERFECT fodder for a Maas’ book.
- “what are those things that writers do that make them to fall on the wrath of the law” — dude. That is very specific. And you found MY BLOG??? I’m (mostly) law abiding?
- “lists of book of how to become a con artist” — Oh, gosh. Apparently my blog is not trustworthy?? Apparently I attract criminal minds??
- “novels with heroes of questionable morales fantasy” — Please see: every fantasy novel ever.
- “im 22 what shoukd i know” — You should know how to ride a dragon, that hair-ties are bewitched to run away, that the secret of the universe is pie, and sniffing books is okay.
- “latest publishing trends teen genre 2016” — I’m glad you’re coming here for me to predict the future. I DO THAT, YOU KNOW. It’s going to be Persian folklore retellings narrated by naan bread with a side cast of dahl.
- “sauron vs skulduggery” — I want this.
- MOVIE NEWS!! Ransom Riggs shows off the first Miss Peregrine’s poster.
- MOVIE NEWS!! The first trailer for Room is out! (To be honest, I didn’t even know this was a movie…I really need to read the book.)
- MORE MOVIE NEWS!! (Gawsh.) Dumplin has been picked up by Disney (!!) to become a movie.
- John Green does a simply marvellous post defending Cara when some interviewers were super rude to her. I got so angry watching those interviewers hate on Cara because she has a clever, sarcastic wit. A LOT of British actors (I’ve noticed) are like that in interviews…and it makes me love them so so much.
- Sarah Eliza puts together a post of writing advice. AND HELLO. I AM CONTRIBUTING TO THIS POST.
- Emily @ Loony Literate lists the problems with series. There are so, so many.
- Jeann @ Happy Indulgence gives us advice on building up our social media accounts.
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co asks if we blog more than we read?
- Anne @ Books, Baking and Blogging lists bookish desserts. Torturous post. Don’t read it.
- Tina @ Read the Bloody Book has got EVERYTHING you need to know if you want to start up with NetGalley.
Reasons Editing Takes Me So Long: 1. Analysing every word and picking only the best. 2. Spending so much time facedown on the floor crying.
— Cait (@PaperFury) July 21, 2015
I’VE BEEN WRITING AND I NEED A BETA. I have the excellent help of my fantastically marvellous critique-partner Emily and also I begged Alyssa for her thoughts. But I really really could use with two more opinions before I fling this little contemporary back to my agent. SO. I’m nervous to ask you fabulous bilge-snipes, because I only need two people. And I really don’t want to tell anyone no. Oh the difficulties.
So if you’d be interested in beta-reading my contemporary, can you let me know? It’s a Beethoven retelling about music and abusive families and there’s much sass and an entire chapter devoted to cake. You can read some snippets here. I’ll be throwing it at you in a week’s time.
BUT ONLY ASK IF:
- You can read it in around (preferably under) 2 weeks. I be on a schedule.
- You’d be willing to just give me a sort of detailed “review” afterwards. With likes and dislikes. (I’m not looking for line edits.)
- You aren’t a pianist. (It is ABOUT a pianist and I am a pianist…so I want to make sure I’m not too piano-y.)
- You actually need to LIKE young adult contemporaries (obviously…but still) and preferably be a bit of a contemporary connoisseur (because i’m a contemporary dolt) and like reading in 3rd person, present tense.
Leave me a comment if you think you fit this! I’ll snabble up two of you. And if MORE of you want to read it…well, go tell the publishers to buy it off me and make it FAMOUS.
time to CHAT, my blogglings!! how was your July??! i need know all the things. did you read anything super delicious? how many books on your TBR right now? (i cannot believe i only have THREE) any blog/graphic design geniuses out there with tips for me? (or do ya just wanna redesign my blog for me? um, AHEM.) did anyone finish Camp NaNoWriMo?? happy with your new book or gnashing your teeth? OH AND WHICH YA MOVIE ADAPTION ARE YOU EXCITED FOR?