Notice anything different? HUZZAH FOR A NEW DESIGN! I took an impromptu hiatus this week (I know you all suffered dreadfully in my absence, but there, there, I’m back now. It’s going to be okay) because I was feeling slightly overwhelmed by all the things. And it seemed like a good time to get the new design going, with my thanks to my sister’s husband who does epic web design stuff because I am technologically inept. Isn’t it beautiful? IT IS BEAUTIFUL. And I totally admit to sitting here refreshing so I can see the arrow in the header shoot across the screen. #noshame
And before we plunge in to my monthly recap of all the furious things, I have some delicious news!
- I’M GONNA INTERVIEW DEREK LANDY!! HUZZAH! HUZZAH! Excuse me. I think I’m going to explode. There’ll be a giveaway and I think I’m going to cry with happiness.
- There’s only 2 more days left of my August Mini Book Necklace sale, where you buy one necklace and get a free pendant. So go buy 1 or 9 of them! I also make ANY book covers. Because I’m talented and flexible.
- I have a new blog button! Just scroll to the veeery end of my blog (in the footer) and you can snaggle it for your blogs and therefore brand yourself my minion. (My old button still works, too, though.)
- And I’ve updated all my pages! Like my about me page, my favourite blogs, and also all my bookish projects. (Don’t go to the bookshelf, that one is still a catastrophe.)
- I hit #1 Best Reviewer on Goodreads in Australia! CAKE FOR ME.
I haven’t done any book hauls or recaps since the end of July! SO! There’s a lot here! I AM EXCITED.
- A THOUSAND NIGHTS: Thank you Pan Macmillan! (Even the ARC cover is beautiful!) Sadly, I was disappointed. I’m a ginormous Persian folklore NERD so you can imagine I’m weeping at this. ★★
- INK AND BONE: Wow wow wow! IT’S AS GOOD AS EVERYONE PROMISES. And beautiful. I’m just stroking the cover. ★★★★
- THE ASK AND THE ANSWER & MONSTERS OF MEN (Chaos Walking #2 and #3): So I adore this series and scored these two at a library sale for $0.50 each! Except they…don’t match. And the hardcover is missing its dustjacket. AND I own the first book and it’s a completely different edition again. So let me cry. BUT FLAIL. But cry.
- QUEEN OF SHADOWS (Throne of Glass #4): AJFKLADSF THIS BOOK. OMG. THANK YOU BLOOMSBURY. Review will be up later this week although….erm, here’s some ominous news. I only gave it three stars. ★★★
- WINGER: I borrowed this specifically because Shelumiel keeps talking about it.
- UNWIND: Library sale find! SO MUCH WIN. I need to reread this and then finish the series! ★★★★★
- THE LAST LEAVES FALLING: Won from Rebecca!
- THIS BROKEN WONDROUS WORLD: Thank you Bloomsbury! I loved Man Made Boy (although I read that like 2 or 3 years ago?! This sequel took…a while.)
- MAGNUS CHASE AND THE SWORD OF SUMMER: THANK YOU PENGUIN AUS I LOVE YOU. I’m reading it right now and ohhhh it’s so HILARIOUS.
- THE RIVER AND THE BOOK & ATMOSPHERIC: Thank you Walker Books!
- EMMY AND OLIVER: So. dang. CUTE. New favourite contemporary! Thank you Simon & Schuster! ★★★★
- A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU: People talk. I get curious. I libraried it finally.
Even though I was blogglishly silent this week, I still instagramed. BECAUSE INSTAGRAM IS LIFE.
click the covers to read the reviews
I read 30 books in August! Bit of a sad month since some books I was really excited for disappointed me, BUT! I ATE OTHER GOOD BOOKS. My TBR is (semi?) manageable. And life is mildly glorious.
- BEST BOOK? Oh! Oh! DEFINITELY A Storm of Swords!! It totally knocked the first two books off the planet in sheer awesomeness and plot twists and heartbreak. I AM SO HAPPY. I also gave 5-stars to my reread of Forever (obviously, it’s Maggie Stiefvater after all) and The Blood of Olympus!
- WISH I’D NEVER READ? UGH to The Looking Glass Wars. Worst. retelling. EVER.
- DID I LAUGH? I always laugh in Rick Riordan’s books! And busted up during Emmy & Oliver because the banter is just priceless.
- COVER LOVE? I will marry Ink & Bone at dawn.
- STATS? I had a seriously good month for 5-star ratings (four of them!!) and I actually read some non-fiction. I KNOW. What’s next?! Adulthood and small talk? Sheesh.
WHAT YOU CLICKED ON THE MOST:
- 17 Ways To Care For Your Resident Bookworm
- The Secret Life of a Book Blogger
- What Makes You Follow A Blog?
INTRIGUING SEARCH RESULTS:
- “celaena name meaning” — I believe it means “do not mess with me or I’ll stab you in the face”. But that’s just a guess.
- “diverse sucks but sometimes diverse is way better” — you seriously can’t have it both ways. CHOOSE.
- “this is the most actiony sitting” — Sitting can be quite exciting and full of action, like if you’re sitting on a bomb or if you’re sitting on a throne. So yes! I agree!
- “heavy bookcase is screwed to the wall could fall forward control risk” — YES, SEE?!? THIS IS WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT! Bookworm safety! I’m glad someone believes me that this risk is real.
- “what does a cold hearted rebel do” — probably steals cake from babies and is rude to elders.
- “gargantuan blue dragon for sale by owner” — No I’m not selling my gargantuan blue dragon. It’s mine. Why would I sell it?! Seriously. Go get a buy fish or something.
- “converting someone into a fangirl” — I prefer the “duct tape” method, which is super simple and only involves taping victim to chair and forcing them to read/watch/listen to your current obsession for HOURS. It works! Truly! Death toll is only in the low percentages.
…a collection of links and news you need pay attention to…
- Kiera Cass has a new book, The Siren, coming out in 2016.
- The actor playing Clary in the new Shadowhunters TV show was interviewed and said THIS “We’re not doing the film’s interpretation of the books. We’re taking our own path, for each character and story, and making it our own new incarnation of it.” And now I want to die. I love this series. Are they going to ruin it?!? WHY AREN’T THE FOLLOWING THE BOOKS?!? STAHP
…ahem. But moving forward!
- Emily @ Loony Literate asks if you can give too many 5-star ratings?
- Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life talks about what exactly IS quality content.
- Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm SAVED MY LIFE with a chapter-by-chapter recap of the first 3 Throne of Glass books. THANK YOU CHARNELL YOU GLORIOUS ANGEL.
- Skye @ Ink Castles did this super incredible Lemony Snicket cosplying photoshoot. They SO look like Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire! I LOVE THIS.
- Wesaun @ Oreos and Books talks about when fans get aggressive.
- Kelly guest posts at Mishma’s Chasing Faerytales on how to be social on the internet.
- Katie @ A Writer’s Faith explains exactly WHY it’s so hard to write. IT IS. SHE SPEAKS TRUTH.
- Kate @ The Goodness Revolt talks about editing. It’s paaaain but also wonderful.
- Tina @ Read The Bloody Book asks if you’re a bookshelf stalker. (Erm…I am.)
- Aine @ Writing On A Vintage Typewriter says we need platonic relationships in YA. YES. WE DO.
- Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm (who is clearly been super uber fabulous because I need share multiple of her posts) talks about how readers often hate on strong confident women in YA and how wrong that is and ahhhh her post is perfection. GO READ IT.
- Some bloggers shared their initial impressions of me: Shannon, Holly, and Aimee. Aww, you peoples! You’re so nice!