It has been a monstrously long time since I did a weekly recap, ergo a) I have a lot to say, b) which surprises exactly no one because goodness someone (spoiler: me) writes immense posts these days, and c) so this is going to be looooooong, d) but awesome, e) so you’re welcome.
I library saled. I LIBRARY SALED. It bears repeating because I am so freakishly excited!! I found a ton of books I’ve wanted for almost ever — and everything was super cheap. I spent a whopping $4 to get all of these. I KNOW. CUE FLAILS.
- THE FIRST THIRD: I was literally about to reserve this book?! But now I own it?!
- GIRL SAVES BOY: I read this…oh, 4 years ago?! But it’s spectacular. And the author was 16 (!!) when she wrote it. Insufferably talented teen writers are the worst and the best simultaneously. ★★★★
- THE IRON KNIGHT & THE LOST PRINCE & THE IRON TRAITOR: I haven’t read this series yet but I loved Talon and I love faeries so THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD. Naturally the first books weren’t for sale. Dangit.
- SHADOW & BONE: For my collection! ★★★★
- RECKLESS: Okay I 89% wanted this because it’s pretty. But also Cornelia Funke (!)
- CLOCKWORK PRINCE: My Infernal Devices set is COMPLETE. Omg, happy day. ★★★★
- SISTERS RED: I love this book. Now I own it. Let’s go kill some werewolves. ★★★★
- ON THE JELLICOE ROAD: I’ve needed to read this forever.
- FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK & QUINTANA OF CHARYN: So I love Finnikin so much I’ve read it twice. AND NOW I OWN IT (!!!) THIS MAKES ME RIDICULOUSLY HAPPY.★★★★★ I need to finish the trilogy, though. Froi…come to me.
- THE WAY OF KINGS: Because everyone needs an apocalypse weapon. (Okay, just kidding, I want to read more Sanderson because I loved The Final Empire!)
- SAVING FRANCESCA & THE PIPER’S SON: I won these from Penguin Teen Australia! Also apparently it’s ALL THE MARCHETTA this week.
- ANNA AND THE SWALLOW MAN: Surprise ARC from Random Penguin and it…like I don’t even know what the heck was going on in this book?? ★★
- IRIS AND THE TIGER: Surprise ARC from Text Publishing. Very cute! Very…Wonderlandy?! ★★★
- BOY 23: Surprise ARC from Bloomsbury…didn’t love it, sadly. ★★
- THE STARS AT OKTOBER BEND: Surprise ARC from Allen & Unwin!
- BRO: This book is about stinky boys. ★★★
- REAWAKENED: A gift from the incredibly fabulous MISHMA. <3
- THE ORPHAN QUEEN & UNDER A PAINTED SKY: Presents to meeee for surviving January. (I’m a big believer in gifting oneself books for the simple fact of existing.)
- THE GIRL IN THE GARDEN: I said I wanted to read Indian books. Someone recommended me this. I Got it. I FORGET WHO BUT THANK YOU ANYWAY.
- FURIOUSLY HAPPY: This book, omg, peoples, this book. It’s a memoir about mental illness and it’s so. incredibly. hilarious. Plus the title has “FURY” in it, so clearly it was written for me. ★★★★
- THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE: Thank you Hot Keys on Netgalley. I LOVE THIS BOOK. FREAKING LOVE IT. Review coming soon! ★★★★
- JULIET IMMORTAL: The most wonderful and FABULOUS Ella gifted me this. <3 I COULD HUG YOU ELLA. Stacey Jay is afjdkalfds my favourite.
- RELAX, I’M A NINJA: This was on sale for like $1 and I love Natalie Whipple so heck yes please.
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
20 (I’m trying very very hard not to read as much.)
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- YA Books Without Romance
- 2016 YA Genre Trend Predictions ~ Collab Post
- Do You Need Scrivener In Your Life?
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “im not opionated i just disagree with yr opions” ~ Let me define “opinion” for you, mate.
- “already died or almost which are the worst” ~ I would definitely say already died is the worst? Just a random guess because, YA KNOW, being fully dead tends to be harder to recover from.
- “why do i feel like my book sucks” ~ You don’t feed it enough cake. Seriously feed your writing cake = it grows up big and strong.
- “young adult books are stupid” ~ ACTUALLY YOU’RE STUPID. WHY ARE YOU EVEN ON MY BLOG?
- “intj villains” ~ Did you mean…me?
- “is your bookwormness dangerous” ~ It is. First it’s reading, next it’s mass evillery. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- “throne of glass overrated” ~ It is. But what can we do but weep and hold each other?
- “im obsessed with sherlock holmes” ~ Maybe you and Watson should start a support group?
- “the raven king spoilers” ~ IT’S NOT EVEN OUT YET. SERIOUSLY. JUST WAIT PATIENTLY LIKE THE REST OF US.
- “i don’t picture characters in books” ~ Me neither. They are like blobs of consciousness, that’s all. Maybe we have bookish prosopagnosia?
- “best reply to someone who says they dont make friends on internet” ~ I would, personally, go, “You sir, are foolish.” And then throw a chicken at them.
- “how to move on from fangirling” ~ How do I put this…YOU DON’T.
- “secret club that reads con artists books” ~ Dude, it’s secret. You can’t google and find SECRET clubs. You have to know the people and do the handshake and wear a ninja hat.
- “how to become ruler of all” ~ I unfortunately am not doing tutorials because there can ONLY BE ONE. And it’s me.
I’m monstrously nervous right now, folks, but…I OPENED A SOCIETY6 STORE!! I put it on my goals of 2016 and gah, cue nerves, but I did it! It’s definitely a work-in-progress and I hope to put my own handmade art up eventually?! But for now: TYPOGRAPHY.
(Except that rainbow mug. I did draw that.)
(And by the way, you should buy all my things. It’s just a suggestion.)
I have so. much. NEWS today…be prepared for an enormous mountain of links! (But this is like an entire month’s worths so you’ll forgive me.)
A U T H O R S
- Apparently Sally Green is writing A NEW BOOK.
- John Green (it is the moment of the greens, this week) talks about his writing process and this video basically makes me admire him EVEN MORE. (The dude is under so much pressure, awk. I’m glad he writes firstly for himself.)
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is GETTING A SEQUEL!! Who bets the title will be equally exhausting??!
- Jennifer Niven’s newest YA book (coming Oct 2016) is up on Goodreads. GET THEE THERE TO ADD IT.
- Marissa Meyer’s Heartless has a cover…and I think it’s super boring.
- The Winds of Winter is not coming any time soon. I feel bad for all the pressure on GRRM??! But at the same time…every other author has to fight hard to get publishing deals, but the world waits for GRMM? Seems unfair.
- HELP ME I’m seriously coveting Neil Gaiman’s personal library. #goals
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- The Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix series is finally getting a cast. I’ll always love the original cast best, though…(Although I love that these kids are KIDS and not teens!)
- Apparently Narnia is coming back to the screen?!? With a completely new cast? BECAUSE THAT MAKES SENSE. Arrrgh. Maybe they’ll pretend they never butchered The Voyage of the Dawn Treader…
- Look at this Wonder Woman promo. Be AWED. It actually makes me reconsider my dislike of DC.
- There are 19 book-to-movie adaptions coming out in 2016 on this list…I didn’t even know about some of them!!
- Shadowhunters is officially airing…I…haven’t seen it yet BECAUSE BUSY LIFE. But I will.
B L O G G E R S
- Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life talks about how you CAN make money book blogging!
- Alexandra @ Twirling pages confirms above fact splendidly.
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co talks about how to boost your blog audience!
- Harvey @ Bookmarked talks about how to boost your reviews. BOOST ALL THE THINGS.
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction asks what type of book you’d have if YOU starred in a YA novel? (Mine would be: very boring contemporary.)
- Aentee @ Social Potato calls out these silly arguments AGAINST diversity in books and explains why they’re wrong.
- Kat @ Cuddlebuggery says you should blog like no one’s watching. She also briefly touches on the blogger drama that went down a week ago.
- Lexie @ The Honest Book Club very honestly (har har har get it?!) walks you through what it’s like to be a bookish photographer.
- Abbie @ Abbiee The Music Blog interviewed MEEEEEE. It’s a good interview. I am just sayin’.
- Linda @ La La in the Library gives tips on how to name your characters. #helpful
- Rebecca @ The Library Canary lists fabulous instagrammers you should follow. (I may or may not be mentioned…who can know.)
- Angel @ Angel Reads gives an INCREDIBLE discussion on how wrong it is to rate books without reading them. I ENTIRELY AGREE.
- Charnell @ Reviews From A Bookworm backs this up with heartfelt indignation that I monstrously join in with.
And I’ll just leave this here as proof my powers are extending….
— Brianna da Silva (@Brianna_daSilva) January 20, 2016
- I got my most likes OF EVER on a #shelfie picture on instagram. Seriously, humans, I average around 300 on a good day. And suddenly BOOOOM — 2,000 LIKES. I’m…I’m still in shock.
- I’m still posting chapters of my wattpad catastrophe The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut, so if you want to read…NOW IS AN EXCELLENT TIME. The weekend = new chapters!
- In other news I’m still editing.
- I HATE EDITING. I HURTS MY PRECIOUS SOUL WITH FRUSTRATION.
- My goal for 2016 is to read less. I know, I know, I never make sense. BUT! My blog takes hours to upkeep and I need time to write, work, train my dog to make those sandwiches. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY. Least to say I am reading less. But it makes me very, very sad and somewhat anxious. Hopefully I can stick to this 20 books a month. (Which is still a lot, Cait! Seriously now!)
- I really don’t want my reading to be a competition at the moment. REALLY.
- I’ve also invented another book I desperately need to write omg. Here’s the storyboard if you’re pinterested. (Get it? Interested? Pinterested? HAHAHA AHEM.)
- I’m re-reading The Raven Boys and just remembered how much of a MOTHER HEN Gansey is. I love this series so much I COULD EXPLODE.