IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Or…the month. Okay, it’s just the end of the month, but that’s not a very exciting way to begin a post. Plus with my TBR the way it is…it’s like a TBR apocalypse around here anyway. Ahem.
Last month I cautiously suggested I might just do once a month recaps instead of weekly even though these posts usually end up very very looooong. Most of you were okay with that. Some of you weren’t. (I’m sorry! But I’ll give extra cake and that makes it better, right?!)
SO LET’S GET ON WITH THIS
These are my various review-copy acquirings. I’M DROWNING IN BOOKS AND NOT EVEN UNHAPPY.
- TRUTHWITCH: I’m nervous/excited about this?! Because MOST people love it, but SOME say it’s confusing. I was going to read it this weekend but…I feel into editing and can’t get up. Thanks Pan Macmillan!
- REBEL OF THE SANDS: THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY GREAT. Also I’m interviewing the author and having an epic giveaway soon, so WATCH THIS SPACE. ★★★★
- THE IMPOSTOR QUEEN: Again, I’m monstrously in love with this. Seriously TOP read of the year so far. (Thanks Simon & Schuster!) ★★★★★
- THE CROWN’S GAME: And you know what?! I’M ON THE BLOG TOUR FOR THIS. I’m freakishly pleased right now. Keep your beady eyes focused on here on March 8th. (Thanks Brittany for inviting me!)
- MY SISTER ROSA: Boxing + psychopaths = Cait is endlessly pleased.★★★★ (Thank you Allen & Unwin!)
- SUMMER SKIN: I won this! And everybody raves?? SO SHOULD BE GOOD.
- HOW NOT TO DISAPPEAR: I know absolutely 0% about this unsolicited one from Simon & Schuster…but looks promising?!
- WHEN WE COLLIDED: I buddy read this with Maraia, which was gloriously fun for a very um…interesting book. Bipolar and Italian food, basically. (The food = I like.) ★★★ (Thanks Bloomsbury!)
- THANKS FOR THE TROUBLE: No CLUE what this is about, but everyone loves Tommy Wallach apparently! (Thanks Simon & Schuster for the surprise!)
- THE FAMILY WITH TWO FRONT DOORS: A cute middle-grade about Jewish food. UM WAIT. I mean Jewish family life (which is basically 98% food, let’s be real.)★★★ (Thanks Allen and Unwin!)
- UNTAMED (Splintered #3.5): THIS WAS PERFECT AND I’M SOBBING THAT WONDERLAND IS FOREVER DONE.★★★★
- NEVER NEVER: Because I have a Peter Pan addiction and will collect them all.
- NOT IF I SEE YOU FIRST: This is about a blind girl and I CANNOT WAIT FOR IT. (Plus my library bought a new release?! What wizardry is this…)
- THICKER THAN WATER: I admit, the reason I want this is because the narrator’s name is Thomas and I have a slight weakness for characters named Thomas.
- ICE LIKE FIRE: I am nervous about this one? I loved the first, but have seen only negative reviews for this. And now the library demands it back because I procrastinated too long. SO IT’S EITHER RETURN IT UNREAD OR READ IT ALL IN THE NEST 12 HOURS. #dies
- THE GIRL AT MIDNIGHT: I don’t even know what it’s about. Girls?
- WOLF BY WOLF: I know I will love this. I KNOW. Reimagined history. Motorbike racing. Wovles…I assume anyway. I just need tiiiiime to read it.
- THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS: I’m really hoping this is similar to Bone Gap (aka my favourite book of them all).
- PERFECT ESCAPE & PANDEMONIUM: I bought these at my library because a) they were fifty cents and I am not stupid, b) they’re hardcover and I love hardcover, and c) orange is pretty. I AM AWARE THESE ARE SHALLOW REASONS. But fifty cents, peoples.
- STARS ABOVE: LOOKEE AT THIS BEAUTIFUL THING. But I don’t want to read it…because then it’s all over. Forever. #WeepsDramatically
- THE SERPENT KING: Bee told me this book is everything. ALWAYS BELIEVE BEE.
- 100 DAYS OF CAKE: Obviously I needed this book. I mean, seriously. Was there any doubt?
- THE ART OF NOT BREATHING: I’m trying to write contemporary, ergo I need to read contemporary, ergo I chose one about a potentially dead girl. (The art of not breathing is DEATH, PEOPLES.)
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
I also just reached 4,000 followers so HUZZAH AND CAKE AND I MIGHT FLAIL DRASTICALLY FOR 9 YEARS.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
(I’m also STILL working on this “only-read-20-books-per-month-and-stop-stressing” thing. So far I’m reading the right amount…BUT YET STILL STRESSING.)
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- Lies Bookworms Tell Themselves
- The Girl From Everywhere Review
- Historical Retellings I Want To Read But That Don’t Exist
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “different types of writters” — Mostly those who can spell, and those who can’t.
- “why can’t i remember what i wrote down” — THE STRUGGLE IS REAL, FRIEND. Or when you wrote it down and lost it. I recommend getting dragon secretaries to take notes and keep track of your genius.
- “taboo movie” — definitely Percy Jackson. No one likes to talk about it.
- “who needs a bowl anyways” — Me? No offense, but eating cereal off the floor isn’t fun.
- “i fell in love with a warlock and he doesn’t know i even exist what do i do i need advice” — Duuuuude. That is so specific. (How did you even get to my blog?) I honestly suggest sneaking up and throwing glitter in said warlock’s face. I think they like that sort of thing.
- “why do so many books have romance in them” — Because there’s a myth that romance is happiness. Totally false. Cake is happiness. Dragons are happiness. Free giftcards for books are happiness.
- “how to stack books in a tall bookcase” — You kinda…just…oh gosh, it’s hard to explain? YOU JUST SORTA STACK THEM.
- “red rising vs red queen” — One is excellent and clever and detailed and phenomenal. The other is Red Queen and is not.
- “2boys love 1girl whatsup” — You got me. I have no idea what’s up. 2 girls love 1 dragon is something I’d prefer to read.
- “meaning of name celaena” — Probably “meanie” or “guava head” or even “you disappoint me, fiend”.
- “adults shouldn t read ya” — Let me give you a gentle shove off a tall tall cliff.
- “scared to write “problematic” — That honestly sounds like a PROBLEMATIC situation. Ha! Ha! …sorry. (But seriously…who googles this stuff!??)
- “books that makes you cold hearted” — I suspect you and I are just born cold-hearted Vulcans and we need to embrace it and just going around being cold and hearted.
My Society6 store has started off quite nicely! I admit…I WAS NERVOUS. But everyone has been so nice about my designs I could just flail! (Well…I actually will flail.) Also as I type there’s FREE SHIPPING. I’m not sure how long it lasts though…so GET THEE ONTO THAT.
Also THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who’s promoted my things. IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME. I will basically adore you forever. Seriously, it’s surreal to see my designs in the wild. afjdksald I AM EXCITE.
Again..MUCH NEWS. (But this is like an entire month’s worths so you’ll forgive me.)
A U T H O R S
- Maggie Stiefvater is disgustingly awesome and drew ALL OF THE RAVEN BOYS (and Blue, obviously) and it’s for sale and I want 1 or 9.
- Jay Kristoff releases a sneak peek of Gemina (Illuminae Files #2)! AIDAN IS THERE! AIDAN!! (Apparently the cover comes out on Monday too, by the way.)
- George RR Martin says there’ll be a massive plot twist in the books BUT NOT THE TV SERIES. (Honestly? I don’t plan to watch the season until the book is out. So when I’m 67 I’ll probably catch up.)
- VE Schwab’s book Vicious is GOING TO BE A MOVIE. They have a script and are looking for a director. While A Darker Shade of Magic is going TO BE A TV SERIES. Aaaall the Schwab fans may scream now! (SHRIEKS.)
- Tahereh Mafi introduces us to the cover of Nevermore!
- Pierce Brown is writing another series set in the same world as Red Rising!
- Leigh Bardugo reveals the cover for Crooked Kingdom (AFJDKLASD IT’S GORGEOUS) and talks about her Grisha world (AFJDSLAKFD IT’S AMAZING).
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- I accidentally found a list of 2016 Australian Author YA books coming out…so my TBR exploded.
- Also there is this book, The Riders of Thunder Realm, being pitched as Game of Thrones meets Jurassic Park. AND IDEK WHAT IT’S ABOUT, DUDES. DINOSAURS. I WANT THEM.
- Here is a random list of 202 fictional characters and their Meyer-Briggs personality types. I’m INTJ, so I am Elrond, Saruman, Thomas (Maze Runner) Ender Wiggin (yuuuuus), and Severus Snape (dangit).
B L O G G E R S
- Emily @ Loony Literate gives you instructions on how to rewrite a book. Very helpful. Much procrastination involved.
- Paul @ The Galaxial Word asks what kind of reading superhero are you. I AM DEADPOOL.
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co has ways to generate post ideas (!!) and also Instagram app tips. (Basically go read all of her blog, it’s so so excellent and helpful.)
- Alexandra @ Twirling Pages asks how we define “well loved” books.
- SJ @ A Tree Grows in Bookland tells us how to be a happy blogger.
- Victoria @ Stori Tori’s Blog has advice on how to write Aussie characters. I’ve contributed!
- Writing has slowed down since I finished editing The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut, BUT!! I’m doing little bits of edits here and there hoping to take hiatus from blogging in the last week of March (or April?) to write a book.
- “What book, Cait?” you ask.
- DYSTOPIAN MONGOLS WITH DRAGONS AND GUNS AND SAND STORMS.
- (But I get distracted easily? So I might end up writing a How-To manual on world domination through cake instead.)
- Also, back to the Dead Boy…it’s up to chapter 19 on Wattpad! GET THEE ON TO READING THAT. Also a million thanks to everyone who stops by to a) read it and then b) say something suffocatingly nice to me. I could SCREECH. That is all.
- (Honestly you have no idea how happy that makes me.)
- But moving forward.
- For exactly 32 minutes this week, I WAS 100% CAUGHT UP ON COMMENTS. Thank you to everyone who takes time to comment, seriously I love it. And I’ll try to be more punctual in replies. (#lies basically but…I try.)
- Human Mortals have just been ridiculously nice to me of late. I’m so happy I could majestically eat the moon. (FYI, I’m assuming the moon is made of cheese in this statement. And I would share some with you.)
- Ergo I want to mention that if you happen to randomly compliment a random mortal near you…IT IS A REALLY GLORIOUS THING TO DO. You can totally make someone’s day.
- ALSO IT’S NEARLY MARCH. UMMMM. THIS YEAR IS GOING FAST. #help