Obviously the first and most IMPORTANT thing to shriek at you is — I FINALLY HAVE THE RAVEN KING IN MY CLAMMY SHRIEKING PAWS. I waited so long for this. So so so so long. But never fear — I shall say nothing. BUT I AM AN ABSOLUTELY FRENZY OF EMOTIONS, OKAY?!
ANYWAY! Books! Huzzah! Although due to being on hiatus for the first week of April, I got severely out-of-the-loop and ergo my link-sharing will be sparse this month. Also I haven’t blogged much. #slacker BUT I DID WRITE A BOOK AND THAT EXCUSES EVERYTHING.
ALSO I HAD THE BEST READING MONTH IN THE HISTORY OF EVER. I…I’m seriously 84% wordless here, folks. IT WAS SO SURREAL. I read nine 5-star books. N.I.N.E. Usually I am the most picky reader of ever (proved by rating like 10 books 2-stars last month) but I got brave and finally read a ton of series finales. THEY WERE GOOD. Now I’m on a bookish high!! I FEEL LIKE DOING SOMETHING EPIC! HUZZAH! (To be honest, that probably just means reading more books…)
This are all library books. I KNOW. I HAVE A PROBLEM. But in my defence I had a whole bunch of reserves and they all came in at once. Because that’s just TYPICAL.Gah. Also half of these are brand new — ergo I’m the first one to read them — ergo HAPPY ME.
- IT’S A WONDERFUL DEATH: It was funny and clever, but no depth. Sad face.★★★
- WRITTEN IN THE STARS: I felt vaguely unsettled about just how negative Pakistan was portrayed here. ★★
- SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN: I wanted to like this??? But the main character was far too hypocritical and whiny. ★★
- STARFLIGHT: YAY ALIENS. I AM EXCITE.
- ANYONE BUT IVY POCKET: Because Kelly told me I was Ivy Pocket, so I need to see this for myself.
- THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA: IT’S AN ADULT BOOK AND I’M SCARED. WHAT HAVE I DONE. (Apparently it’s really funny? But George RR Martin endorses the cover so. Multiply my fear levels by 6.)
- TITANS: AND I CONFESS: this blurb sounds 99% like The Scorpio Races and I’m partially wanting to read it to see if it does rip off Maggie Stiefvater? And partially because I LOVED Fire & Flood.
- SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA: Okay okay so I have read this one. LAST YEAR! But I may or may not have borrowed it to photograph it…(I only listened to the audio previous.) ★★★★★
- THE WAY WE ROLL: Sometimes I tell myself to read Aussie YA. So here I am.
- CREATURE OF THE NIGHT: I said “I want to read books about faeries” and Miriam said “Read this one” — SO HERE I AM ALSO.
- BLACK DOVE WHITE RAVEN: Whyyyyy do I want to read this? Elizabeth Wein constantly BREAKS ME with her WWII stories. Yet here I am. #masochist
These are books I’ve bought & been sent for review.
- NORA & KETTLE: I bought because Peter Pan. WHO IS MY SPIRIT ANIMAL. (Also Shannon swears it’s brilliant.)
- HALF LOST (HALF BAD #3): AFJDSAKLDJ I AM A MESS OF FEELS AND SHRIEKING EXPLOSIONS. THIS WAS MARVELLOUS. ★★★★★
- FRONT LINES: Thankyou Hardie Grant! And omg, peoples, something exciting is happening soon to do with a) Michael Grant, b) Front Lines, and c) my blog…VERY SOON.
- SHADOW QUEEN: I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE COVER AND FAIRY TALES.
- STARGIRL: Unsolicited from Hachette (thankyou!) (Although isn’t this a old book??? They must be reprinting?? Anyway I LOVED Maniac Magee when I was a Small Dragonish Hatchling. So I’m excited!)
- THE SQUARE ROOT OF SUMMER: Unsolicited from Pan Macmillan (thankyou!) and I have 0% clue what it’s about except probably maths. So I REMAIN DUBIOUS.
- WINK POPPY MIDNIGHT: It was a gorgeous audiobook. SO WHIMSICAL. AND WEIRD. ★★★★
- FIREFIGHT: This series is. my. everything. AWK. I am absolutely in love with it. ★★★★★
- THE RAVEN KING: AFJKDSALDJ BASICALLY THIS WAS BRILLIANT AND I AM 9 EMOTIONS. POSSIBLY MORE. ★★★★★
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
Remember how last month I was complaining about my entirely insufferable string of horrid reads? THIS MONTH WAS SO AMAZING I’M LITERALLY ON A BOOKISH HIGH. I have never read so many 5-stars or just been so happy while reading. Omg. Feelings. (I also re-read 3 books!! AND LOVED THEM MORE THEM 2ND TIME.)
B E S T B O O K S?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- How Do You Know If Your Post is Copying or Inspired
- Why You Should Start a Book Blog
- My 1st Draft Writing Process (Which Is Insane) (Also Snippets)
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “what kind of writers are there” — Mostly insane ones. A few slightly psychotic ones. Just…well, approach a writer cautiously and maybe poke them with a stick before attempting conversation to see if they hiss.
- “tris prior annoying” — Honestly? This COULD be on a tee-shirt…
- “why adults read ya novels” — Because some adults are AWESOME and do what they want. And also, I ASK YOU, definite “young” anyway. That’s between 14 and 94, right?
- “i’m not a creepy fangirl” — I am super glad to hear this. But if you’re asking Google to confirm this then…um, I hesitantly theorise that perhaps you are creepy? Maybe stop?
- “why people wouldn’t recommend scary novels” — I DON’T KNOW. THAT’S SILLY. I’ll recommend you scary novels! Unwind is awesome and THEY STEAL PEOPLE’S ORGANS WHILE THEY’RE STILL ALIVE. #GoReadIt
- “how to imagine have a good face” — Don’t look in the mirror and imagine positively.
- “i am a poor bookworm” — YOU AND ALL OF US. The term “rich bookworm” doesn’t exist because we’ve all spent all our dragon treasure on books.
- “trust me i’m not doing wrong with you” — Excuse me while I don’t believe you. At all.
- “side effects of reading novel countuisly” — Improved spelling, I hope. But I make no promises.
- “mare barrow vs katniss” — One is a complex, dimensional heroine who is the heart of a rebellion and loves deeply and has survived horrible torture…the other is Mare Barrow who is also a flat pancake.
- “how to attack people?” — MAYBE DOOOOOON’T???? It’s not nice. Make waffles together and talk it out, okay?!
- “how to know if he poke me in orchestra” — Probably get your musical instrument and poke him. Violently hard. Then glare and say “So how does that FEEL, HUH?!?!?” and if he looks really super confused he probably didn’t poke you. Systematically do this to everyone in your orchestra. You’re welcome.
- “the five talented furious extraodinary devious” — This is probably another title for ME.
- “can i die because of fangirling” — Yes. Paper cuts. Heart exploding. Feels combusting. The fangirl life is super dangerous.
- “somebody say cheesecake” — CHEEEESECAKE!!! (You’re welcome.)
Life on Etsy has been rather slooooooow lately. SO! My ingenious brain demand reminded me of the kusudama balls I frequently use for props on my instagram. Because I AM SO KIND — now you can buy them and use them too. #YoureWelcome (Also there are still a few Book Hook bookmarks left!)
(Click the pictures to go straight to the listing page)
There are new designs up on Society6!! BECAUSE I’M KINDA ADDICTED TO MAKING THEM. No regrets. (Btw, these designs ALL come in mugs, totes, carry pouches, laptop skins…etc.)
(Click the pictures to go straight to the listing page)
So the first time of….ever!?? I don’t have many links! Apparently I haven’t been paying attention to the blogosphere. #mybad
A U T H O R S
- All The Raven Cycle addicts MUST WATCH THIS FAN ART VIDEO. It’s incredible. I might’ve screamed.
- Plus if you’re on The Raven King withdrawal (aka me) go and listen to this fantastic song composed by Maggie Stiefvater.
- Here’s a short yet awesome interview with Cassandra Clare with her top tips for writers! Me likey.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- Excited for Netflix’s A Series of Unfortunate Events? BECAUSE I AM, DUDES. First look at Count Olaf’s costume! (It soooo looks like the illustrations!)
- George RR Martin thinks some of his Game of Thrones side-stories and novellas could be TV shows. As long as he doesn’t write them, I suppose…SINCE WE DON’T LIKE WAITING 93 YEARS TO READ HIS STUFF.
B L O G G E R S
- Evie @ Bookish Lifestyle has tips for starting your #bookstagram account (including prop ideas!) and also a guide to starting a Society6 store! (With info about licenses and graphics. #helpful)
- Aentee @ Read At Midnight has helpful tips about designing graphics for your blog posts!
- Aine @ Writing On a Vintage Typewriter has reasons you should take your own photos for your blog.
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight has tips for BEA. (I’m not going to BEA, obviously. #AussieHere BUT SHANNON IS SO HILARIOUS THIS POST IS MY FAVOURITE.)
- Ava @ Bookishness and Tea has suggestions on how to read more! Avast ye, overwhelming TBR!
- Abbie @ Abbiee’s Music Blog has this AMAZING vlog about not confining ourselves to one talent if we want to run after a zillion of them. And it’s so great.
Book: Here are so many NICE characters for you to admire & love. Enjoy!
Me: *falls aggressively in love with the villain*#bookwormproblems
— Cait (@PaperFury) April 29, 2016
- DID I MENTION THE RAVEN KING YET???? Basically it has rather consumed me. The countdown. The meltdown at realising my order from Book Depository wouldn’t arrive for 2 more weeks. The frantic signing up to audible to use the free first credit. The excruciating paaaaain of listening SO SLOWLY instead of racing through. (Mind you, I got that 11hr audio done in 3 days. I BE PROUD.) It made me thoroughly anxious and it was thoroughly worth it. Although I DON’T KNOW HOW TO FUNCTION ANYMORE.
- I also got sucked back into Supernatural. BECAUSE THOSE WINCHESTER BOYS. <3 I love this season! Except when Sam CRIED ACTUAL TEARS because he was so so scared in Ep 10. YEAH. NOT OKAY.
- Also my Wattpad story is now FINISHED. You can read the entire thing!! It may not stay up forever so HURRY WHILE YOU CAN. Also the ending is fiiiiine. Perfect. Happy even. #lies
- Everyone is SO ENCOURAGING TO ME. Eeeeep. I have infinite thankfulness to everyone who read it!!
- Now I have to figure out my NEXT writing project. Either I a) write one of my 38398 ideas, or b) start editing one of my 38398 drafts. Nunnngh DECISIONS.
- Speaking of ideas…I have 2 new ones this month which I have to mildly talk about or I’ll explode. OKAY?! OKAY. One is about a boy who steals houses and is a contemporary and involves homeless children and farms and loneliness and probably copious amounts of waffles. The other is a Russian fantasy and involves an illusionist who is slightly mad and a king who can’t stop bleeding. I’m a little in love with them. I have this MASSIVE problem of being equally in love with ALL my stories. I need 9 more hands to type these….
- CLEARLY READING SO MANY 5-STAR BOOKS IS INSPIRING.
- Also my TBR is officially so unruly I’ve just given up hope and am currently hiding from it.
- Remember when I said I only wanted 10 books on my TBR at a time?
- HAHAHAHAHAHA. <—- Sound of my nervous breakdown
- ALSO MY 5TH BLOGVERSARY IS COMING UP IN MAY. This is, um, huge. I so far have zero plans. BUT I’LL THINK OF SOMETHING FUN. I hope. (I feel so oooooold though.)