Since it’s nearly the end of the world 2017, it’s time to talk about what I read this year! With…(wait for it)….pie charts.
Aka my favourite thing in the world. There is literally nothing more satisfying than collecting and analysing books with pie charts. Except for maybe eating a pie yourself after a long battle that included vague shouting and Vorpal swords.
Also fun story: I actually was making pies today!! And here I am!! Blogging about them! I’m living my true aesthetic life!
Today I’m doing my 2017 End Of Year Survey…which is basically a huge excuse for (a) pie charts and stats, and (b) me yelling about what books I freaking LOVED and adored. I generally use the questions from The Perpetual Page Turner but this year I’m only doing a few.
Because I’m lazy.
- I am not good at Christmas or organisation and this was supposed to go up BEFORE Christmas but here we are.
- ALSO. I’m using snowflake Christmassy borders!! Even though it’s Australia!! And it’s summer!! And I feel like I’ve just betrayed my country but the borders are pretty and I have no regrets.
- If you want to see my 2015 and 2016 recaps, THERE YOU GO.
- For all interested, I made the pie charts with canva.com. I’m super high tech please fear me or just send me cake, honestly I don’t mind which.
- This post is 500% just a reason to talk about pie.
- I will also try not to let this post be 3 years long (AS IS USUAL) to spare your eyeballs.
- Did I mention I absolutely appreciate YOU reading and supporting my blog this year?! I like you a lot.
I always appreciate Goodreads believing that I’m good at “a lot of other things too” but yet…that’s a no. It is just books.
Yayyy! I had a way better reading year than I did in 2016!! I’m happy!
My most common rating was 4-stars so that’s really encouraging, right?! I also had SO MANY 5-STAR READS and drastically reduced my 2-stars. So basically: I had such a good reading year. This is very very pleasing.
Here we can see the dark truths in that I mostly read new books.
Backlist titles vs shiny newbies??? I’M DOOMED. I’M A DRAGON WHO CRAVES SHINY. SAVE ME FROM MYSELF.
Also super proud of the amount of audiobooks I consumed this year!! Thank you LIBRARY.
In a surprisingly turn of events, contemporary is my #1 genre of 2017!
Look my heart will ALWAYS belong to fantasy, but I write contemporary so this is actually fitting and helpful and I do so like books where characters are able to eat toast and use the WiFi. Plus I find contemporary authors are way more dedicated to writing diversity and I appreciate that.
I have confessed I’m terrified of books over 400+ pages and LOOK, I’M SUBTLE ABOUT IT.
Ah haha hahaha. 300+ pages is my happy pace.
And is anyone surprised I only consume YA? No. No we are not. But at least I’m 12% an adult these days.
Usually I don’t reread AT ALL so this year was amazing!
And 10/10 plan to reread more books every year. It’s comforting + I never remember the book anyway so it’s just like reading a brand new book. Very nice. Saves money.
Also women rule the book world and this I see no downside.
Honestly I’m pretty proud of how balanced my book sources are from!
I actually moved towns in June and lost my amazing library, so I’ve mostly been using Overdrive and crying. I have, unfortunately 0% hope in Netgalley for next year though because they literally deny me EVERYTHING. I have such fury, as is my name.
Also you know something funny?! I’m Australian –> being published in the UK –> and I read mostly American books. So I have no idea what language I’m writing in, what slang I’m using, or how to word. It’s great. My editors probably despair.
I track the minority representation in books because it’s interesting!
I’m really passionate about diverse books (belonging to several minorities myself) so I like seeing if books are going to represent the whole world! I have to admit, I’m disappointed (but not surprised) how hard it is to find disability rep in books. 47 books out of 250 that I read had disability rep in it. WE NEED BETTER.
But it’s nice to see YA veering beautifully towards worlds where not everyone is white/straight!
Now I don’t actually like tracking #ownvoices reads…because it’s not always obvious.
And that’s okay! I don’t think authors should have to be public (or outed) about their private lives. So take that pie chart with a grain of salt. (Which’ll make this pie taste weird, but whatever. Suffer.) And while it’s nearly half/half…diversity is still more commonly had in a secondary or background character instead of the protagonist. I think this should be improved.
Again wow so so much more common to find girl protagonists.
Part of me doesn’t mind?! But also I do like reading from boys’ perspectives too so more of both would be good?!?
And haha ha hah HAHAH. No one is surprised about the parents in YA stats. Parents in books are mostly dead or useless (SORRY TO MY PARENTS) and a measly 14% actually were great.
And apparently it was the YEAR OF THE STANDALONE!
Whic makes total sense because I have commitment issues. You should see me trying to commit to which colour scheme to even make my pie charts. It’s very stressful.
Also I barely ever read sequels because I can’t remember book #1.
Yes…I’ll go sit in the corner now.
(NOTE: All covers will link to their reviews, so clickity click if you’re curious.)
BEST BOOKS OF 2017?
Ah! My favourite traumatic question!! Honestly there were a lot of books I loved half to death and back again, which probably makes me a necromancer and I’m okay with that. But I’ll DO MY BEST to list the most perfect creatures I encountered. And, hey hey listen up! When I say “best” I mean “fRIKKIN BEST” so go read all of these.
BOOKS YOU THOUGHT YOU’D LOVE BUT THEN DIDN’T?
Honestly most of these were absolutely devastating disappointments. How dare they not be amazing. I did not conquer the solar system to be subject to this nonsense.
Look low expectations do WONDERS for books. You go in –> know nothing –> boom it becomes a new favourite. These ones were particularly surprisingly pleasing.
FAVOURITE NEW AUTHOR DISCOVERED IN 2016?
I so so love finding new authors to absolutely be in love with. AHHHH. Definitely this year’s standout new author for me is Adam Silvera!! I read 2 of his books and have the 3rd to devour soon!
FAVOURITE BOOK FROM A PREVIOUSLY-KNOWN AUTHOR?
Omggg my old favourite authors have truely GRACED MY EYEBALLS TODAY. I’m not going to repeat Schwab of Stiefvater though because DUH IT’S OBVIOUS I LOVE THEM (and they’re in the first question). But loooooook. I’m so happy.
The actual best feeling ever is when authors don’t disappoint. BECAUSE THEY’RE SUPER HEROES.
BEST BOOK YOU READ BECAUSE SOMEONE RECOMMENDED IT?
This question is lovely because SHOUT OUT to my blogging friends who give me epic recs! Also shout out to me because I never quite remember who recs what and it gets a bit awkward hahaahha.
So someone said “read these!” and I listened. But who? No one knows.
I admit I hated Half Blood and The Kiss Of Deception though. MY BAD.
MADE YOU SUPER MAD?
Look I’m trying to be more chill but THESE BOOKS ARGH. Serious problematic themes in most of them.
REREADS OF SPLENDOUR
Like I said, I did a lot of rereads this year AND I’M VIOLENTLY PLEASED. 22 books!! For someone who used to reread none, this is amazing. Also I freaking love rereading via audio?!? It’s my new favourite thing because I actually understand what I’m reading hah ahah. Ahem. Here are some of the books I devoured…AGAIN.
It’s very very very hard to tell my favourite authors obviously. Do I like Stiefvater????? IDK. Who can tell.
- I reached 4,600 on bloglovin! Which makes me so very happy because I put a lot of work in here and the fact you all (A) enjoy it, and (B) haven’t been terrified away yet FILLS ME WITH GREAT JOY.
- I had a tweet that got 42,000 likes. Which is sort of freaking amazing. Also I reached 15,000 followers on twitter. SCREAMING.
- I reached 35,500 on bookstagram! The algorithim horribly sucks thought and I get maybe 10% engagement?? BUT I STILL APPRECIATE IT. Speaking of bookstagram I also am repping for @owlcrate, @illumicrate, and @pagehabit which is freaking awesome.
- I want to just flail over my blogging friends?!? There are SO many of you and honestly this year hasn’t been super easy or great with my mental health…so having you all to flail over books with and who don’t think I’m super scary and bite (I DON’T I PROMISE. OK WELL ONLY A NIBBLE SOMETIMES) and still want to geek out with me?! I like you. I’d give you all magical cloaks if I could.
- I also announced MY BOOK DEAL. Which I gush over forever but I shan’t stop. I’ve been working so so hard for this for 7 years so AHHHHH. And just in case you didn’t know, my book is called A Thousand Perfect Notes and comes out June 7th 2018!! I also have another (secret still) book coming out in 2019. But you can preorder ATPN on bookdepository here (with free world wide shipping) and also you’d make my life.
- Also [whispering] It’s been added over 1,600 times on goodreads already. holy heck.
- I also did have a really productive writing year. I wrote 7 books and edited 3 and wrote about 10 outlines…aaaall for a collective of 1,195,000 words. Do I have a life? No. Did I have to get my laptop keyboard replaced when it was only 6 months old? Yes.
- What even am I.
BOOK YOU SHOULD’VE READ BY NOW, SO WILL BE #1 PRIORITY IN 2018?
I have…so much…guilt. I read 250 books this year but apparently my TBR is acting like I STILL READ NOTHING. It’s extremely high maintenance.
HIGHLY ANTICIPATED 2018 RELEASES?
THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD BOOKS COMING OUT I’M ACTUALLY GOING TO EAT A BRICK WALL IN EXCITEMENT.
Also I mean…MINE.
Hoping the cover reveal is coming in January!!