“I have too many ideas and no time to write them,” says basically every writer ever.
It’s our curse alas. But also the best thing ever because when one takes a moment to sit back and admire one’s brilliant brain and marvellous imagination, one can get so excited about writing.
But how to decide between which idea to write??? It is thoroughly impossible.
And unfortunately for me I have 14 ideas I could choose between. * I’ve not been accused of being “the ideas queen” for nothing, my delicate fiends. My imagination knows no chill. I write 20,000-word outlines and am fuelled by the blood moon and pumpkin scones and am a descendant of the dragons.
But, as I say, why make decisions when my darling army (THIS IS YOU FYI) can make them for me??? So today I’m asking you to peruse 4 of my story ideas and vote for which should be my priority in 2017. I am an indecisive grape. HELP ME.
And in case you’re thinking, “Cait, shouldn’t you just write what you feel like??” let me tell you several quick things:
- I am EQUALLY excited for all my ideas which is actually a problem because #decisions.
- I don’t wait for inspiration, either. I write what I want, when I want. And if it isn’t working, I beat my muse up in a dark alley until it agrees I’m queen.
- Why am I so violent.
- I also just want to do this post to tell you ABOUT THE BRILLIANT NOVEL IDEAS ** I’M SUPER EXCITED ABOUT so buckle up this is what we’re here for.
- Unless you’re here for cake and dude, there is no cake in this post. NO. CAKE. AT. ALL.
* Help help help help help–
** I get asked a lot if I’m worried people will steal my ideas and…yes, a little? (SO PLEASE DON’T.) But also this is a peek at my novel premises. You will never know exactly what I have fully planned for each book plot, and basically there’s nothing new out there anyway. Everything’s been done. It’s about presentation! And no one will present how I will (THANK THE HEAVENS) because I’m slightly mad, so I’m happy blogging about my ideas! I trust you all!
SCORPION DEEP DUOLOGY
This is my child of thieves and pirates and excellent sea monsters that want to devour your face. #GoodTimes But do you know HOW LONG I’ve wanted to write a pirate book?!? Basically: forever. This is my Davy Jones retelling and uses about 3% of the actual myth because Google says the actual myth is pretty slim. So whatever. I get to make stuff up. MY FAVOURITE THING.
SMALL LIST SUMMARY
- Involves an island kingdom.
- And a boy who is a notorious anonymous thief but also a dorky 16 year old kleptomaniac who’s adopted by a nice respectable wealthy family who sends him to a nice school. Which he never goes to. BECAUSE THIEVING.
- He also hires himself out (whilst wearing a mask, duh) to merchants + pirates to steal for them.
- Until he gets hired by a pirate to steal instructions of how to get a wish from the king of the dead, Davy Jones.
- He steals the instructions.
- Uses the instructions.
- Keeps the instructions.
- Realises he’s not “getting a wish”, he’s actually “raising Davy Jones from the depths to take his place”.
- WHICH IS NOT WHAT SCORPION DEEP HAD IN MIND. ABORT. ABORT.
- Also includes a super cute baby sea monster that Scorpion accidentally ends up raising as his smol son.
- And a crush on a sea witch who thinks he’s a just dork.
- Mermaids + krakens + sharks + pirates + sailing + pirate curses + general screaming from everyone but mostly me.
- Much stabbing because let’s face it: I’M WRITING THIS BOOK.
- Much thieving.
- Much running commentary of sass because Mr. Deep can’t shut up.
- It ends badly because let’s face it: I’M WRITING THIS BOOK.
- Heaven help me the sequel is glorious and yet worse.
(Wow that was accidentally aesthetically pleasing. I AM WINNING AT LIFE.)
THE SKIN LIBRARY (STANDALONE)
What can go wrong when one writes a book ABOUT BOOKS??? Okay hush, I realise the answer is “everything can go wrong if you’re writing it, Cait” but I’m going pretend you’re enthusiastically nodding while gnawing on a cupcake * right now. So. Plus epic fantasy standalones are needed. So I fulfil.
* Look I said NO CAKE IN THIS POST and you’re there gnawing a cupcake? Disrespectful honestly. Also I need one.
SMALL LIST SUMMARY
- It’s set in a world were people are so fond of birds THEY BECAME BIRDS. #legit
- Mostly everyone has wings and the ability to fly and you can preform simple magic by writing words in ink on your skin.
- Except their king decided (A) to ban the common minions from flying (B) forbid them to learn to read so they can’t do magic, and (C) probably destroy all happiness BECAUSE WHAT’S HIS PROBLEM.
- Enter a small thief girl
- (WHAT IS IT WITH CAIT AND THIEVES.)
- Who is looting a burnt library and discovers a BOY.
- Except he’s not a boy. He’s the library come to life. Which makes him super smart (hello 10,000 books in his head) but has no idea how to human (because he’s literally a building).
- Unfortunately they discover the body he took over is the prince’s which means he ends up with a lot of power and one thing leads to another and mass destruction probably.
- Or they’ll have a quaint teaparty?? #PositiveThinking
- It basically involves girls who are birds and boys who are libraries.
- The girl has one leg and is very skilled with knives and sass.
- The boy wants to kill anyone who ever harms a book which is, quite frankly, #relatable.
- I’m sure it ends just fine.
THE FALL OF THE FLY BROTHERS (STANDALONE)
Sometimes when the moon is full and I wear polka dot socks and am eating a sandwich whilst perched in a gumtree whilst the koalas rage rabidly below — I do write contemporaries. I CAN DO IT, OKAY?!? I GOT THIS. Of course my contemporaries are always tragic, but what is a book if it doesn’t make you lose your mind on occasion?
SMALL LIST SUMMARY
- It is about two twin brothers who were kidnapped at 5 and which is BAD NEWS if ever I heard it.
- Ten years later, they escape, and boyaah they get to try and fit into a family who thought they were dead and things are Not So Great™ in fact awful is a good summary.
- For starters one of the brothers doesn’t speak (he most likely falls on the Autism spectrum, which I have much knowledge about with people I know) and prefers to climb to really dangerous heights which freaks everyone out.
- The other brother is perhaps a very clever psychopath.
- And “normal life” isn’t suiting the brothers very well at all, see aforementioned jumping off things and psychopathic tendencies.
- They are also being stalked by their kidnapper who wants them back and will stab other people to to them.
- Or is he stabbing people to get to them???
- Or is it one of the brothers???
- OR IS IT THE LOCAL CAT????
- We cannot know.
- Will feature much cereal and a very deep lake and a very tall waterfall which I’m sure now one will fall off [NERVOUS LAUGHTER] and brothers who’ll do anything to help each other and, oh, I don’t know??? Hopefully it will feature your damaged feels.
THE SKELETON DANCE (DUOLOGY)
One day I’ll even write a trilogy, but pffft, who has time for that? I haven’t written a sequel in like 5 years so far. BUT MOVING FORWARD! This is a delightful Phantom of the Opera retelling I’ve had cooking for about 2 years, and then reading Roseblood (which just came out this year!) sparked my enthusiasm to finish of my plot. It is a delightful plot. I’m madly excited.
SMALL LIST SUMMARY
- After 10 years of magical wars where art was illegal, the SUN HAS RISEN (figuratively) and art is back and in high demand (literally).
- A boy and his father open an old opera house that’s rumoured to be haunted (because duh it is) and decide to put on a famous opera / ballet / play.
- The boy is the most incredible ballet dancer of ever — except he would much rather tap dance. And he’s very high in demand because #excellence — but he would much rather sass you to death. In short: he’s a drama queen. But a cute one.
- Obviously the opera house is haunted and tries to kill them all. The actual opera house does, it has feelings too. Just bad ones.
- Then the boy decides to kill the darkness in the walls and is helped by a very timid ghost who is a precious cinnamon roll of death and crying because he’s sensitive.
- IS EVERYONE A DRAMA QUEEN? THE ANSWER IS YES.
- It will not have a love triangle because I refuse.
- It’ll be set in a magical French / Italian inspired fantasy world.
- There will be SO MUCH DANCING which quite frankly will make it a better movie than book, but I’m opened to be optioned for rights to make a screen play? Anyone? ANYONE? [crickets]
- And there’ll be so many other fun things like timid sensitive ghosts, hangings, melting mirrors, bleeding, magicians, very delicious tea and croissants, murder, unreliable narrators, a very adorable but angry street dancing girl, and people of every skin colour because fantasy needs all the diversity.
- Oh and kittens. No doubt they’ll be evil too.
CAST YOUR VOTE AND MAKE LIFE DECISIONS FOR ME (THANKS)