Oh it is a stupendously glorious day. Why? OH, MY FRIENDS. Today I have two things for you, a) a very incredibly genius list on why you need The Mortal Instruments in your life, and b) I’m giving away THE WHOLE SERIES. I told you today is ridiculously good.
Also I’m featuring the newly rebranded TMI set — which I have to admit, I love way more than the old ones. The old ones covers are okay? But that City of Bones with the half naked dude on the cover could win awards for sheer awkwardness. SO THANK THE UNIVERSE the new covers are divine and full of shirts.
REASONS YOU NEED SHADOWHUNTERS IN YOUR LIFE
- I SAID YOU NEED TO. Now this is a very important reason and shouldn’t be overlooked. Because when am I ever wrong? (Spoiler: never.) And I have magnanimously stupendous taste in books, ergo there is really no reason to read further in this post. Just drop everything and rush out and read these.
(Ah, I see you’re reading on. Little rebel.)
- THE NEW COVERS ARE DIVINE AND ARE NICE TO JUST PET. I mean, reading is good. Reading is excellent. But covers are quite important when you feel the need to pet your bookshelf. Plus you avoid so much awkwardness that the old covers inspired. Such as questions of “WHY IS EVERYONE HEADLESS?” (I don’t even know, dude? Why were the old covers so headless????) And also “WHY IS THAT GUY NAKED?” (Again. Who can know? Shadowhunters believe in optional amounts of clothing?????)
- THE SERIES IS REALLY DOWNRIGHT HILARIOUSLY SASSY. I am an absolute sucker for witty banter. If someone even whispers the words “this book is hilarious” then I AM EATING IT AND NO REGRETS. And one of my favourite things about the Mortal Instruments is how sassy everyone is. I laughed out loud during this one, folks. The Vulcan has broken.
“We shouldn’t,” protested Isabelle. “The Clave has a plan.”
“The Clave has the collective intelligence of a pineapple,” said Jace.
“I don’t want to be a man,” said Jace. “I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can’t confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead.”
“Well,” said Luke, “you’re doing a fantastic job.”
Jace shook his head. “I don’t care if I did just set myself on fire,” he said. “I’m not hugging you.”
Simon sighed and dropped his arms. “Your loss,” he said. “If you’d gone in, I would’ve let you, but honestly it would’ve been a pity hug.”
- IT IS SUPERNATURAL. See I have a small weakness for the fantastical. And by “small” I mean, a weakness as large as 12 galaxies. I love fighting demons and teaming up with werewolves and being the descendant of angels and just — ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING MAJESTICALLY FANTASTIC. Plus The Mortal Instruments seems to have everything but it’s never too much? How even does that happen? Wizardry writing.
- THE WORLD IS MONSTROUSLY LARGE AND COMPLEX. Again, wizardry. I mean, there is a million rows of Shadowhunter backstory, but no info dumps. Sit here a moment and appreciate that.
- DID I MENTION THE CHARACTERS YET?!? AND HOW THEY ARE ALL FREAKISHLY AWESOME?!? You know a series is good when you can’t choose one favourite character — BUT MUST CHOOSE, LIKE, NINE. It starts off as Clary Fray’s story (she doesn’t know she’s a Shadowhunter and must embrace her destiny and probably nearly die, etc, etc) and then it delves into everyone’s stories. The Shadowhunters she meets. The resident Warlock. Her slightly-not-human best friend.
- MAGNUS BANE: who is made of glitter and fabulousness. He is a reason to read it solely by himself.
- ONE OF MY MOST ADAMANT SHIPS IS PRESENT IN THIS BOOK. I have a lot of ships, okay? I am a fangirl. And while I fervently ship Clary and Jace and also Alec and Magnus…I have to admit Simon and Isabelle is my everything. #Sizzy I will forever love Isabelle because she manages to cut off demon’s heads and wear high heels and deliver lines of whipping sass. I cannot even make toast without burning it. (Can I be Isabelle when I grow up?) Also Simon is a comic-loving dorky nerd. I need say no more.
- AND I WILL ADMIT THAT CLARY AND JACE ARE LITTLE CUTEY MUNCHKINS. Jace is hilarious. A tortured little crumpet. Clary is probably not my favourite protagonist, merely because I think she is kind of average — whereas the rest of the cast is COMPLEX DIMENSIONAL MULTI-COLOURED CONFETTI and it makes her seem…dull. But I still admire her.
- Okay so enough about the characters (even though I could talk about them aaaaall day) I must say a quick word on HOW THE STORY LINES ARE ALSO MY FAVOURITE THING OF EVER. Exciting? YES. Brief stops for delicious food? YES. Plot twists? ONLY YES 5 MILLION TIMES. Fighting and running and other dimensions and magic and swords and tragedy. Like, much tragedy and bleeding.
- THE ENTIRE SERIES IS REALLY VERY EPIC. In case you hadn’t picked that up already. I love it. I love it the most out of anything Cassandra Clare has written (although she is a divine writer of many things) and I gave the last three books 5-stars. I mean, c’mon? HOW ELSE CAN I CONVINCE YOU????
- ALSO CASSANDRA CLARE IS THE NICEST AUTHOR EVER AND KEEPS WRITING. There can be an awkward moment when your favourite author writes, like, one book. NOT WITH CASSIE CLARE. She’s written 6 Mortal Instrument Books, 3 Infernal Devices, a conglomeration of novellas aaaaand is coming out with Lady Midnight later this year! CAN WE SCREAM FANGIRLY YET?!?!? I love that she writes so many Shadowhunter books. I cannot get enough.
- GO READ IT. The end.
QUICK SHADOWHUNTER QUESTIONNARIE:
- FAVOURITE CHARACTER: SIMON. <3
- FAVOURITE SHIP: #Sizzy followed by #Malec
- FAVOURITE BOOK IN THE SERIES: The 6th book! City of Heavenly Fire. Perfect conclusion.
- THE INFERNAL DEVICES VS THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: Definitely TMI. TID is set in a Victorian era which I’m meh about and…oh. My ship sank. Boo.
- VAMPIRES OR WEREWOLVES: I have to say vampires for this series because reasons.
- FAVOURITE OF THE NEW COVERS: City of Fallen Angels because look at Isabelle ruling there.
- TV SHOW VS MOVIE: I love the movie. LOVE IT. I’ve re-watched it and it makes me so happy. Ahem. I haven’t seen the show yet (which is airing as we speak) but I will…eventually.
NOW FOR THE #GIVEAWAY!!
Thank you to Walker Books Australia for sponsoring this giveaway! You can win the entire newly re-covered set of The Mortal Instruments! HUZZAH AND HURRAY! (Australian Only)