Some days you just need to sit down and be obsessed with your favourite series.
Look, I am subtle about my adoration for The Raven Cycle (well Stiefvater books in general). I only feature them in 93.2% of my photos and constantly reference them and reread them and make ridiculous headcanons. * But pfft subtle.
I do think, though, that life is too short not to occasionally recommend your favourite books to everyone who BREATHES OXYGEN. We bookworms can get very self-conscious about our favourites. Will they be picked on if we release them into the wild? Will people think us weird for loving that particular book? Can we get away with mentioning it 99 times a day before death threats begin???
I don’t know, my fiends. But we should try. LITTLE CHILL IS TO BE HAD HERE.
* IS RONAN TEACHING ORPHAN GIRL HER ABCS??? WHO BABYSITS HER WHEN HE GOES TO SEE ADAM AT COLLEGE?? DOES RONAN AND ADAM BAKE HER BIRTHDAY CAKES???
Okay so three things:
(1) I’m doing The Raven Cycle book tag which no one tagged me for but hey. I didn’t read the Dream Thieves without gleaning some sneak thief tips.
(2) this series is my actual eVERYTHING and most people can’t choose, like, that one favourite series but fjaksldfd this is mine
(3) sQUASH ONE sQUASH TWO
SMOL EXAMPLE OF MY INSTAGRAM FEED
In the books, Maura is the relaxed mom that is Blue’s friend more than an actual mother. Who is your favourite mom character?
Ooh I think I’ll say that Becky Albertalli writes really great mothers! Usually YA contemporary is about awful parents * but both Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and The Upside Of Unrequited have really nice mums?! They seem to actively notice what their smol children ** are doing and love them for who they are. Which is amazing, especially if your kid turns out to be a dragon or something.
That has not happened. But it could. The next Albertalli book maybe?!??
* Um, yeah I just BURNED my own book with salt and fire but hey.
** I realise I’m talking about teenagers here but I’m getting old okay. I see these little 16 year olds and I JUST WANT THEM TO GET A JACKET. TAKE A SNACK. DID YOU GET A GOOD NIGHT’S REST. EATING POPCORN IS NOT A MEAL GET SOME PROTEIN AND–
Adam wanted to go to Aglionby so he could one day escape where he came from. Have you ever dreamt of living somewhere else? Where?
My actual dream location is living somewhere close to a MASSIVE library. AKA this will have to be a city. The only problem, of course, is the fact I don’t like noise or people or noisy people. So like??? Can I live in an empty city??? I know most people are terrified of the zombie apocalypse but wow, mate, when everyone is exodusing — I will be settling into barricade myself in the library.
I will be so happy.
This visions is so lovely and not antisocial at all.
In the second book we meet the Gray Man. He is a hit man who loves poetry. Name a book that you thought was going to be one thing but turned out to be something else.
Okay yes WOW books often absolutely turn out to be things I don’t think they’ll be. This is super weird and NOT my fault. But here are some of the reasons I’m constantly surprised:
- I never read blurbs. I just make stuff up and then get mortally offended when a book doesn’t read my mind.
- (Totally normal, yes???)
- I mix it up with another book because of similar titles / covers.
- Actually titles…let’s talk about titles. Titles are the WORST. I thought The Serpent King was a fantasy because?? KING??! It’s actually a contemporary. (Also excellent go read it and
- I do actually let my eyeballs wander over the blurb but the blurb writer is SO WRONG. (FYI authors rarely write their own blurbs so please don’t blame us for this one.)
- It’s been pitched badly. Like The Scorpio Races was pitched as “just like the Hunger Games” back in the day. Ah…ahhh haha. Someone got into the eggnog and drank way too much.
- I’m just clueless and live in my own world and have no idea what’s going on. I am chronically confused.
Gansey has searched most of his life for a buried king who is promised to grant one wish. What is one wish you would ask Glendower?
FOR ALL THE BOOKS I COULD EVER WISH AND HOPE AND DREAM FOR.
I’m actually in this terrifying stage of my life where I’m not sure if I can be an author + still review books. (C’mon, you know I’m a tough critic!) But I don’t have a library to fill in the gaps where I’d read ARCs. Soooooo. What if Glendower just gave me continually every new amazing sounding YA release ever and in return I baked him some rock cakes? *
* This is a horrible idea by the way. I cannot cook. I thought rock cakes had actual rocks in them.
In this series you get to see Greenmantle as a fleshed out character but also as a villain. Name your favourite type villain.
Okay but let’s talk seriously for a moment: there are so many types of villains to love and hate so here is a quick list because I frikkin’ love analysing villains. (I’M NORMAL, MUM, DON’T FRET.)
- The morally grey misguided squid: little bit pathetic, probably will make your heart bleed, they definitely murdered someone and should be in prison, but also … aww.
- The irritatingly powerful nasty beehive: Basically ones like Umbridge who has power but who has little stinging tentacles everywhere and is hard to dislodge. Always there, “pretends” to be “good”, but you want to stuff their pink hat down their throat.
- The delightful psychopathic pie: absolutely bad and totally unhinged and will cut you up and eat your heart while laughing. See Sebastian Morgernstern and Moriarity. But you kind of can’t look away from this train wreck.
- The “SURPRISE, I’M EVIL” one: where you legit didn’t know it was the villain for sooo long. You smelt something off. But then BAM. Dark side. Usually includes huge betrayal and the narrator and you crying on the floor. I thought we was friends, mate.
Blue’s got her Raven Boys. Who makes up your bookish team (4)?
Well obviously the Raven Boys. And also Blue. Seriously sometimes you just read a book and you want to just FALL into its world. I absolutely want to live in Blue’s wildly messy and self-renovated house with a million rooms of weirdness too!
Ronan is a bad ass with a sensitive side. What book have you read that was action packed but had beautiful emotional scenes as well?
Honestly I think ALL good books should have this: humour + emotion + wild action scene with probably someone swallowing swords while the world is on fire + a smol corner where we all get to go cry. This is such a fabulous combination! What could go wrong!
Here are some of my favourites that manage to make you shout because someone’s getting stabbed AND also pat your shoulder because someone’s crying.
Gee, The Gentleman’s Guide is so not here to match the colour scheme is it?!? Thanks, Monty. Stand out, why don’t you.
Noah has a heart of gold. Who has touched your heart recently?
I actually ate a really terrific caramel and dark chocolate ice cream which…like WOW. Sometimes you don’t know what true love is until you eat something.
I mean, not people. Don’t eat people. It’s not safe, they have weird bones.
ALSO my heart is doing all these strange catastrophic flips while ARCs of my book A Thousand Perfect Notes are going out into the universe. I caaaan’t even with how excited people are being! AND I GOT MY FIRST LOVELY 5-STAR REVIEW. From a human who (a) doesn’t know me, and (b) isn’t my mother! So I don’t know! I might shout enthusiastically!
Having your art appreciated is bessssst. I discovered I actually HAVE A HEART.
You won’t when you read my book though haha hahah.
Calla is a woman who speaks her mind and puts her foot down when necessary. Who is your favourite strong female character?
Full disclaimer: I don’t like the term “strong female character” because the term “strong male character” DOESN’T EXIST. It’s like sexism is dancing in the streets here. But I appreciate the thought behind it: highlighting complex and interesting women!
So here are some freaking fantastic fictional females! (And the actual alliteration there should earn me a pie, or two pies, or a trip to the Bahamas.)
- All the women in Fox Way LET’S BE REAL HERE. I want some pie from Persephone.
- Isabelle Freaking Badass Lightwood who is feminine AND terrifyingly excellent with weapons.
- Also Emma Carstairs because why not just fall on our faces in a moment of Shadowhunter appreciation.
- Mia from Nevernight who is, quite frankly, terrifying but also super funny.
- Kate from This Savage Song. Except — wait wait…she terrifies me. You know those people that you think: “Wow, you are cool and if I stand within 3 feet of your radius I will die”???? Hmm, me and her. (Coincidentally, both named Cait/Kate.)
- Puck from The Scorpio Races. I just fell over again and tipped STIEFVATER APPRECIATION everywhere too. Ugh I can’t help myself. But in my defence, I warned you this post would be obsessed. Anyway! Puck gets 500% mad when her brothers are lazy useless gnats and #relatable #content.
Chainsaw is an awesome Raven boy pet. If you could have one “exotic” pet…what would it be? What would you name it?
I do have a dog and he is sort of a strange dog because he sits like a frog and acts like a cat.
ACTUAL ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF MY DOG AND I:
Me: Let’s go for a walk!
Dog: i hate the outdoors
Me: Let’s go for a run!
Me: want me to pat you?!!
Dog: im not in the mood
Me: come sit on the bed with me!
Dog: *leaves the room*
I’m wounded deep inside my soul. I have since adopted the fish in our backyard pond, who are more affectionate towards me than mY OWN DOG. Anyway. I would like a hedgehog! I would call it Paul. Also totally would be down to raise a small army of dragon hatchlings and teach them to follow me and call me mama. It’ll be great.
He also steals my flowers. I can’t even.
ALSO…while we’re chatting like good friends…if you have any posts requests for me, I am so open to suggestions. Anything! Writing, blogging, booking, screaming. QUEST ME.