It has been 900 years since I did a Fury recap.
Well, 3 months??? But really 3 months…900 years…same thing. (Hey October was a long time ago!!) I actually was deciding whether I should keep doing recaps because let’s face it: these posts of mine tend to be the second cousins of Mt Everest in size. I apparently constantly have a lot to say. It’s a problem. But I can’t think of a solution! And I’m lazy so I haven’t though very hard! So here they continue! Yay!
Also while I have your undivided attention (stop looking at your cupcake, dangit, focus…focus on me now Susan) I am letting you know I’ll be on a brief hiatus in a few weeks. So I can write one of these books you voted for. So enjoy me while it lasts. ENJOY BEFORE THE DOOM COMES UPON US ALL MWHAHAHAHA. *
And while I still (hopefully?) have your undivided attention I just want to say THANK YOU, FABULOUS CREATURES OF THE CONTINENTS. Because I don’t say it enough and I appreciate you all enormously. What am I thanking you for? Oh. Just reading my rabid content, chatting to me, taking time to comment, tweet @ me or retweeting me, liking my #bookstagram photos, being a silent stalker, cheering for me loudly or quietly, being my friend. ALL THE THINGS BASICALLY. I like you. **
* A teeny bit too dramatic, hmm?? Well…fine. Probably. But I am a writer. Our actual official job title in the publishing world is “drama queen”. Ask any author you know.
** Okay sappy moment is over. LET’S GET BACK TO MY REGULAR DRAGONIC SNARKY PROGRAM.
It’s been so long since I did a book haul that I have zero idea what I’ve acquired recently. SO HERE’S SOME RANDOM BOOKS.
- TALES FROM THE SHADOWHUNTER ACADEMY: As much as I am Shadowhunter trash…I really do not like this cover.
- GEMINA (#2): Someone tell me to gather my courage and read this. I’M TOO SCARED.
- ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES: I read this like 2 years ago but finally got my own copy. My favourite book. ★★★★★
- LAST SEEN LEAVING: Murder? MURDER, JOHN. (#SherlockReference) I’m so ready.
- LABYRINTH LOST: Diverse and witchy = YAS.
- THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA: Meet my new favourite series which is right up there with Stiefvater and Schwab for me. NEED I SAY MORE??!?! ★★★★★
(Thanks to Bloomsbury, Allen & Unwin, Simon & Schuster, and Pan Macmillan!)
- WE COME APART: Confusing and kind of a pointless ending?? But a harsh (and needed!) reality check on how immigrants are treated. ★★★✩✩
- FROGKISSER: I’ve never read a Garth Nix! This will be my first! (Shanti! Be proud!)
- TRAITOR TO THE THRONE (#2): It was good, but…also sequel blues. ★★★✩✩
- HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME: Heartbreaking and excellent. ★★★★✩
- LISETTE’S PARIS NOTEBOOK: Otherwise titled: Spoiled Rich Girl Is Spoiled. But at least reading about Paris was cool?! ★★✩✩✩
- THE SILENT INVASION: I’m super dubious about this unsolicited one…will it be excellent or Every Cliche Dystopian Ever? WE SHALL SEE.
- TAKE THE KEY AND LOCK HER UP (#3): I didn’t go very well with this trilogy at all. ★★✩✩✩
- THE DRAGON WITH THE CHOCOLATE HEART: Could any book be more FOR ME??? Chocolate + dragons + adorable cuteness = this was so good. Review coming! ★★★★✩
- RECKLESS TRILOGY: I’ve only read the first one but they’re super dark and stabby. My kind of story. ★★★★✩
(all covers link to goodreads)
(and #nope haven’t read any of these yet but AM EXCITED)
I’m trying something a little different this year…with some book covers you can hover over to get my mini-opinion! HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS BECAUSE IF IT DOESN’T I SHALL SHOUT.
(You can still click on the covers to read my full reviews, or hover over it. Because it’s fun.)
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “how to recommend a book” — I suggest throwing it quite excitedly at their head. Unless it’s a hardcover because then, think of the book. Don’t damage the book. In those cases, I suppose, you could talk to them??? Seems weird??? But there you go.
- “im a teen looking up to be a writer but sometimes i feel like im not good enough” — well I’m PLEASED you found my blog because I’m here to tell you that yes, you’re probably not good enough. But what writer is when they start out!??? I SURE WASN’T. It took me 7 years and millions of words to feel confident. Keep at it. And if that fails sacrifice an acorn under a blood moon and this will fix it. My notes say you’ll either become a unicorn or an excellent writer. But honest, which option is the downside? None.
- “why my friends hate bookworms?” — the real question here is, why are you referring to the as friends??? Because clearly no.
- “y a horror without romance” — It wouldn’t be a horror then, dear, it would be a normal average realistic fiction. We’re lacking those.
- “is there a sickness if you read too much” — Yes, unfortunately. It’s called Pure Awesome and it’s fatal.
- “celaena name” — It’s…wait for it…CELAENA. Boom.
- “cait book blog” — AWW. I have a very specific stalker!
- “paperfury schedule” — A very very specific stalker. Wow. Okay so my schedule is posting at 7:00pm EST on Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday with lots of crying and howling on random weekdays.
- “killing off characters is hard” — Erm….
- “how to grow my bookstagram” — Plant it in a nice ceramic pot, water it twice with tears, and watch it flourish.
- “connection between throne of glass and acotar” — Their authors both look extremely similar.
- “how am i paper fury” — WHAT THE HECK, MAN??? YOU’RE NOT. I AM. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE. COME OUT HERE AND FIGHT ME.
- “pre-decapitation party” — For who? And am I invited to participate or will I star?? Because I have questions.
- “+wroter cait” — I’m here. I the wroter you’re looking for.
- “examples of a name for a novel about growing from teenagehood to being an adult” — you can narrow down your search to Every YA Book Ever? Because that is kind of the point of YA.
DID YOU KNOW I ACTUALLY HAVE AN ETSY STORE TOO???
I often talk about my Society6 store (which you should go adore by the way) but today I’m subtly pointing you at my Etsy store where I sell origami mobiles and also #bookstagram props and bookish necklaces and bookmarks!! Very helpful! If you’re not sure how to make your photos unique and you’re looking for more props…HERE YOU GO. Custom orders are welcome!
(CLIKE PHOTOS TO GO TO THEIR PAGES)
Of which I forgot to collect any bloggers’ posts to share…but I will next time!!
- Maggie Stiefvater wrote a chapter from The Scorpio Races by Finn’s perspective!!! IT IS THE CUTEST AND BEST.
- Tahereh Mafi has announced her new Persian fantasy about a girl who washes dead bodies. #lovely
- AG Howard discusses the lore and myth behind the Phantom of the Opera and how she put together her retelling of Roseblood.
- Angie Thomas does an interview on why she wrote The Hate U Give.
- VE Schwab shows off fanart of her adorable A Darker Shade of Magic cast. <3
- Sabaa Tahir talks about racism in books and talks about people having differences of opinion and it being okay. #blessher
- Scott Lynch has an EPIC CLAPBACK on someone dissing his epic female fantasy pirates. (This is old but someone showed it to me and I LOVE IT SO MUCH I HAD TO SHARE.)
- The next Throne of Glass book is being pushed back to 2018.
- Leigh Bardugo is publishing a collection of short stories about the Grisha universe!!
- Marissa Meyer calculates how long it took her to write Heartless.
- And Maggie Stiefvater has announced her NEW NOVEL COMING OUT IN OCTOBER, 2017, AND I’M DYING OF EXCITEMENT. It’s called All Crooked Saints. I’M OUT OF MY MIND WITH HAPPY BASICALLY.
- What books are being made into movies in 2017? HERE IS A LIST. (Wonder looks amazing!)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda is producing the Kingkiller Chronicles as a TV series adaption (and writing the music!!!!!!!!!!!) AND I THINK I JUST DIED OF EXCITE BECAUSE THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST/. I’M OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK.
- Chloe Grace Mortez is starring in the adaption of The Miseducation of Cameron Post! (Because she doesn’t star in, like, any YA adaptions…like Hugo, The 5th Wave, If I Stay…)
- Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda has a cast list update! (I’m so freakishly excited for this!!)
- Erm…did you know The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a MUSICAL??????
- Also, oh my gosh, you’d better sit down to hear this but….A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC IS COMING TO TV. Acquired by Gerard Butler, whatever that means! I’m 87% positive that VE Schwab is writing the polite!!! AHHHHHHH.
- Just so you know, Neflix’s A Series of Unfortunate Events show was PURE PERFECTION. Most of the script was straight out of the book???? And I know because I reread the book before each episode. #NerdLevelSuperAwesome My sister and I were so obsessed we basically talked about sugar bowls, lemony cakes, Lacromose leeches, and peppermints (#ClapIfYouUnderstoodTheseReferences) for TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT. Perfection. Perfeeeeection.
- I got the incredible privilege of being the FIRST PERSON EVER to reveal the cover of Steph Bowe’s new book, Night Swimming, to the world!!! Go see it. GO. This is one of my favourite Aussie authors and she hasn’t written a book since 2013 so I’M SUPER EXCITED.
- I also had help with my Bookstagram photoshoot. The assistants were super cute but also thought if they unwrapped my lucky stars there might be something fun inside. Spoiler: there is not.
- The larger one spent most of the time saying “I THINK WE JUST NEED MORE FLOWERS HERE, CAIT” and “IT WOULD LOOK BETTER LIKE THIS, CAIT”. Like, oh, maybe I don’t truly know how to take photos and need a 4 year old’s opinion and guidance????
- Note: Yes I do need a 4 year old’s opinion and guidance.
- Note #2: They ran off with the rest of my surviving lucky stars!!!! This isn’t fair!!!! I’VE BEEN ROBBED.
- I also finished writing my outline for The Skeleton Dance. Plus its sequel. Because apparently my brain thinks it’s fun to plot and develop two full books in 3 weeks. I’m tiiiiired.
- I’m currently re-reading A Darker Shade of Magic. Because did you realise A Conjuring of Light comes out at the end of February???!? I’M NOT FREAKING OUT YOU’RE FREAKING OUT. Is V.E. Schwab going to kill everyone we love? Options are: yes or yes. I’m so excited and terrified and AH.
- I updated my iPod! So I can finally receive instagram messages and use apps and basically remember the meaning of happiness. It’s only been 4+ years with the old one. The 4 year old niece mentioned above has politely tried to kidnap my old iPod touch TWICE. Seriously. What do I look like??? A kind aunt who gives my stuff away??? I am a dragon here. Rawr.
- I’m also officially 23. Not a fan. Would like refund asap.
- And I think my books have a secret bat signal they use to summon more books??? Because how is my TBR growing like it is. I even
stolewas kindly given my little sister’s bookshelf when she left home and I filled THE WHOLE THING with just unread books. My books are Batman and are conspiring for my doom.
- Oh and remember my little sister who used to co-blog with me? She is BACK ON THE INTERNET and you should follow her on twitter because I raised her with a good sense of humour.
- And (I promise this is last) the widget that used to allow me to email you replies to your comments IS BROKEN. So I’ve been trying to fix this but with no avail?? Please let me know if you’ve gotten any emails replies to the comments you’ve left on my blog recently! I’ve got a poll below, or leave a comment to tell me. Because I’d hate for you to think I’m ignoring you. I am replying! JUST WORDPRESS HATES ME.