“So how does it feel to be an officially published author now?!” you might be asking.
A Thousand Perfect Notes has been out for 3 weeks now…which is…absolutely mind-blowing?! It’s already been 3 weeks?!? Speaking of which: how is it also JULY.
So anyway. How am I feeling?
Utter mood right now. I’m fiiiiine.
Now let me tell you all about my month! Because wow. It was an intense one. And my #AmCurrently post is my recap of what I’ve been reading, books I’ve collected, life things, and exactly how many times I’ve screamed lately. * So much fun!
Also I hope you appreciate my first photo in this post, where I’m measuring myself in books. It doesn’t take many. I am smol.
* This is a complete lie. One cannot count these.
So my debut novel came out with Hachette UK which is KIND OF A BIG THING JUST SAYING. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m not even exaggerating: 7 YEARS IN AZKABAN AND NOW I HAVE A BOOK. It’s in bookstores. Sometimes it’s featured in bookstores. People actually buy it?!? People bUY IT BECAUE THEY WANT TO???? What is this world.
I’m not…I’m not crying. This is my waterfall cosplay.
I’m so freaking happyyyyyyyyy.
Just in case you haven’t read it yet…
(Also PS. I could really use reviews on Amazon! I need 50 for it to be counted properly / recommended, and I only have 10!)
- OMG WHERE DO I EVEN START????
- Probably by being so frikkin’ humbled and proud all at the same time. Because I was honestly scared my little book would just be a slight hiccup in time. I mean, I’m an unknown author. It’s a debut…it’s kind of dark (which isn’t everyone’s thing), I’m not able to be physically present or go sign in bookstores or meet people, ergo what if IT ALL JUST IS A QUIET MELLOW RELEASE etc. etc. (Hi, yes, I have anxiety.) But it’s been amazing. I worked really really hard and it worked and I JUST AM !!!!
- Cosplaying the waterfall again, look at me go.
- So it got to rank 119 on Book Depository (we’re talking out of thousands of YA books)! It also got to “bestsellers in romance” which cracks me up because it’s so unromantic. August says “I like you” and Beck literally sprints 40 miles in the opposite direction. But looooook! I’M NEXT TO BECKY ALBERTALLI. (Probably alphabetically for this list but hush!!)
- It also hit #1 on Amazon…for the YA music section lmao…which has like 10 books in it all up BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I’M TAKING IT.
- People actually find it in bookstores!!! (THIS IS MY DREAM.) And so many times it’s actually been shelved in prime positions, with cover facing out to catch attention. I am so lucky, wow.
- I opened my annual Booktopia newsletter and…IT WAS FEATURED. This was so unexpected?! And I died a little when they’re like “you might know Paper Fury!”… Yeah. I do. She’s climbing the walls currently but ok.
- It was featured in the Illumicrate May box! With bookmarks. And signed book plates. It was so fun signing those. And it also had red-stained pages so like…my eyeballs are in love.
- I still haven’t gotten my author copies yet, so I literally just have the Illumicrate one. Haha….sob.
- But when I do get them, I can do some more giveaways!
- I’ve done so many interviews, a twitter chat, instagram takeovers for Hachette NZ and AUS, and it’s all intense and also completely surreal. (Little me?! So many opportunities?! ajfkdasldf)
- 0_0 <—- mood
- mY TWITTER CHAT TRENDED.
- The #AThousandPerfectNotes hashtag is wild and I love it and it’s no longer just me! Nice!
- MORE PEOPLE THAN JUST MY MUM LIKE IT.
- My sisters actually all pulled through and proved themselves useful and bought copies. This is the only reason I tolerate having 4 sisters.
- My editors sent me flowers! Which is the actual sweetest thing!!
- People have been so kind, and so supportive, and I hope you absolutely 10000% know that I wouldn’t be able have my heart stuffed so full with all this incredible news if it wasn’t for your help.
- I LOVE YOU, OKAY.
LOOK I’M IN BOOKSTORES!
(Literally this was the pinnacle of my dreams. My book —> in a bookstore! I have yet to actually go see it myself due to living in a town without a bookstore. And also being too overwhelmed to go to the city right now. BUT SOON I WILL LIVE THAT DREAM.)
AND READERS ARE STILL HAVING FUN.
UM LAINI TAYLOR SAID CONGRATS, SO CLEARLY I HAVE PEAKED AND CAN RETIRE NOW.
I’m so so exhausted haha oh wow. Ok. I’m done. And I PROMISE I WILL NOT ALWAYS GO ON AND ON ABOUT ATPN. It’s just a special time for me right now!! ah!!
Oddly…publishing a book equals less time to read?!
I actually am kind of devastated that this year will be like my least-amount-of-books-read in the last 3 years?!? I know it’s still a lot of books. And it’s ridiculous to be disappointed! But yet here I am. Overachiever me is suffering. I’m still on track for my Goodreads goal but I also feel a little slumpy.
I’m reading less —> but not collecting less books. #OHNO
I also wanted to read a ton of lgbtqia+ books for Pride month and I barely read any. Ughhhhh. So disappointed @ me. I ended up only reading 6.
Review copies vs books I bought!
Actually I say that, but Smoke and Iron is on the wrong side lol lol. I am dysfunctional. Anyway, I’m on the blog tour from that (thanks Berkley Publishing!) so look out for it next week!! SO EXCITED. THIS SERIES IS MY LIFE.
Also thank you Bloomsbury, Flatiron US, Allen & Unwin, Nadine Brandes (who sent me Fawkes herself!!) and Bloomsbury! ALSO PENGUIN FOR THE REVIEW-COPY OF BRIGHT WE BURN AHHHHHHHHH. And Jo for sending me through her ARC of The Unpredictability Of Being Human (which is about an autistic girl and it’s soooo good!).
FROM EDELWEISS OR NETGALLEY
- I mastered the ice cream sandwich ok. This is me reaching the pinnacle of my life achievements. Forget being published — I can make ice cream sandwiches. (Also they were strawberry and chocolate and dairy/sugar free, meaning they are HEALTHY. Meaning I can eat, like, all of them.)
- Through all the publishing madness I STILL managed to outline another book!! And no it’s not sold or anything, but I’m still pleased I managed to finish it despite my brain being a complete beehive lately.
- My Etsy store is dying and basically I’m waving hopelessly at the funeral pyre haha. Omg.
- My dad built me some new shelves! Which I sorely needed. The fact that they’re directly above my bed is a tiny bit disconcerting, but you know what? Life is short. Bookworms are supposed to live perilously. Here’s the Before vs After:
- Those sheets on the wall are edit notes!!
- There is my dog, Atticus’ butt.
- Also he absolutely blends with my bed and the walls. How and why.
- I’m so so excited to read Bright We Burn (!!!) absolutely busting out of my skin right now!!
- Also if you loved A Thousand Perfect Notes, jUST REMEMBER: next year I’m going to ruin your life with The Boy Who Steals Houses! #excite
- My sister is visiting so hopefully we’ll watch lots of Brooklyn 99.
- I’ve literally done nothing except answer DM’s and eat ice cream sandwiches this month so I’m not sure what else I should say here except: send help.
- No really, help. I washed my white jumper, got it all pleasantly clean, and went and made strawberry jam. Ah ha, Cait. AH HA HA HAHAH (crying). So my jumper is no longer white, and how are you.
- HOW DO PEOPLE CALL ME INTIMIDATING. PEOPLES. THIS IS LITERALLY ME SPILLING JAM ON MY SHIRT.
- My plans for July include: (a) reading a sheer ton of books because my TBR is stressing me out. I’m so behind. And (b) I hopefully will draft a new book! Also (c) never never wear white again.