In a startling turn of events, I’m going to talk about two things: (1) me, and (2) books.
It’s not like this is a book blog written by me of course…hahhaha. So SURPRISE for today’s topic!
I also really love doing tags and answering random bookish questions, so I thought, “LET’S DO BOTH TODAY”. I’m going to answer a few questions as tagged by Esther @ Queen of Fantasy * and also some I’ve plucked out of thin air for mine own amusement.
I also have a slight confession to make…I may look like I’ve returned from my hiatus to write a book BUT I HAVEN’T. I decided to write the sequel too. I’ve never written books back-to-back before so who knows if this’ll work or I’ll collapse on the carpet and melt to nothing or if I’ll be too tired ** or if I’ll have the most freaking fantastic fun in my life because
I love torturing characters I love writing murderous stabby sweet kind books. The truth was, I ended in such a bad cliffhanger that even I want to know what happens next. I’m hopeless.
I return properly next week. Don’t cry for me, Argentina. ***
* FYI she is not actually the queen but I let her keep this title because I’m kind and think it’s cute. But I am the actual queen here. I. Me. Alone. Rawr. (STILL LOVE YA, ESTHER, TRULY.)
** I’m actually quite tired so this could be a horrible idea but I GOT SICK, PEOPLES, AND I’M A BIT MAD ABOUT THAT. So I currently have a hacking chainsaw cough and no voice, but plenty of vigour to set characters on fire and murder OTPs.
** Dude, I realise you probably haven’t noticed my lack of regular posts this last week BUT LET ME ENTERTAIN THE NOTION THAT THE SUN ONLY SHINES WHEN I’M AROUND.
1. WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 READS OF 2017 SO FAR?
Normally, when asked this question, I spend at least 42 hours staring blankly at my bookshelf trying to choose BETWEEN ALL MY CHILDREN and hoping the chosen ones aren’t then bullied and tormented by their less-loved siblings. It’s honestly a life crisis around here. You wouldn’t ask a mother to choose between her flesh and blood children would you??? *
BUT! Let’s talk about 2017. And since we’re only 2 months into it, I have only got to choose between 35 books.
I shall nominate:
Basically Allegedly EMOTIONALLY MANIPULATED ME in the best way, Red Seas Under Red Skies was sassy and piratey and huuuuurt, A List of Cages HURT EVEN MORE, The Weight of Feathers was so beautiful I ate it, and A Darker Shade of Magic was even better the second time round.
* Spoiler: I actually occasionally ask my parental which of her 5 daughters she likes best. She refuses to answer out of motherly duty I assume, but I’ll keep trying. I would rank my siblings out of usefulness/niceness so surely parents secretly do the same with their children??? SURELY???
2. TOP FIVE FAVOURITE BOOK FRIENDSHIPS
- Locke and Jean from The Gentlemen Bastards. I particularly like these two because they got to the point where they wanted to murder each other and realised that’s the definition of family. BLESS THEM. Plus sass, snark, general insults = BFF.
- Ronan and Gansey from The Raven Cycle. Again. FAMILY. Because they’re like brotherly insomniacs and Ronan kicks things and Gansey pays for them to be fixed. I need me a friend like that though??? Like one with lots of money and nice cars and magical dreaming friends and obsessions with aesthetically pleasing journals and abandoned buildings and dead Welsh kings.
- Aled and Frances from Radio Silence. Because these two. THESE TWO. Think of the biggest nerds you can and multiple it by six. Because they wore rainbow unicorn leggings and had tumblrs and are 1000% platonic and will give each other biscuits to make the pain go away. #QualityFriendship
- Darrow And Sevro from Red Rising Trilogy. Because friends that slay together, stay together! No really. There was this one time Sevro went to war for a chocolate bar…
- Kell and Rhy from A Darker Shade of Magic. Coincidentally they are adopted brothers who like to sass each other to death, make fun of each other’s hobbies, tell each other what they should be doing, threaten each other’s romantic partners, and also hide their mischief when their parents are around. Yes, they are grown men. Yes, they are mischief. ALSO DOOM AND DESTRUCTION AND DID YOU KNOW THE FINALE BOOK COMES OUT IN LIKE A WEEK AND I’M DYING!!!!!!!! MY PREORDER HAS SHIPPED AND WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH I’M DYING.
3. MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASES OF 2017?
There are so many I’m broke just thinking about it. But here is a small sampling:
DO YA SEE THAT NEW STIEFVATER BOOK??? DO YOU DO YOU DO YOU????? My life is made.
4. HOW MANY BOOKS ARE ON YOUR TBR PILE?
Physically in my actual house, in my actual possession, that are actual physical books? I give a rough count at about 60?
Then there’s the bottomless depths of my kindle that no human dares traverse.
Then there’s half a dozen audios in my possession.
OH. And on goodreads? I have 1,399 added. (Hey I don’t own them so stop looking at me like that!) Because apparently I see a book and I JUST GOTTA READ IT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ONLY GOT ONE LIFETIME AND MY TBR IS MAKING IMMORTALITY LOOK GREAT.
5. WHAT ARE YOUR FEELINGS ON BOOK MERCHANDISE?
I like it, but I would honestly rather spend the money on books. But cool book mugs are obviously amazing (I sell them, WOAH SELF PROMO MOMENT) and I also am ridiculously in love with these bookworm themed canvas shoes I found on pinterest. Would I sell a sister for them? Absolutely. I have 4 sisters and that’s 4 too many.
But, okay, come closer while I whisper quietly to you: there are some book merchandise I just don’t get. I don’t get the point of owning pillows. LIKE WHY. And my brain short-circuits at the idea of bookish themed candles. A book character might smell like a pine tree, but SO DOES A PINE TREE. So you could literally just buy a pine tree candle and it’s the same thing. And don’t even get me started on anything bookboyfriend themed. Hahahahaha HAHAHHAHHA hahaha. No. I don’t want to wash myself with soap that smells like a book boy that smells like that pine tree again probably. I feel creepy just thinking about it. * I’ll just go wash with a pine tree.
* FYI in case you’re new here and don’t know how this works: I DON’T MIND IF YOU LOVE THINGS I DON’T LIKE!!! OBVIOUSLY!! BLESS YOU!!! Have fun with all these things and I’ll be in my lemon cave of #nope quiet happily by myself.
6. WHO IS THE LATEST AMAZING AUTHOR YOU HAVE DISCOVERED?
I shall refer you back to question #1 wherein I was screaming about Allegedly. I think that author is one to watch because no one is supposed to manipulate my emotions like that. I’M SUPPOSED TO BE VULCAN AND IMPOSSIBLE TO SURPRISE, GOSH DARN IT.
I also just discovered Adam Silvera with History Is All You Left Me and it was so sad and I loved it.
10/10 to all books that make Cait have an emotion. *
* While we’re talking about Cait in the 3rd person like she’s not even here (but is she really here?? is she really typing this??? have you ever seen her face?? HOW CAN YOU KNOW??? #CrisisIntensifies) we will mention that Cait has so far had 19 reads that are 3 stars or lower….which, considering it’s only FEBRUARY, is a lot. She’s as fussy with her reading as a child is who’s given a whole bowl of froot loops but only wants to eat the pink ones. Heaven help us all. Send more froot loops.
7. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A BOOK BLOGGER?
I think just about forever. And the reason I know it’s been forever is because I’m actually struggling to not plagiarise my own blog at this point. I keep thinking up a brilliant idea only to scroll my archives and realise, oh. I have done that.
Help meeeeee. *
Also, in actual cold hard facts, it’ll be my 6th bloggy anniversary this May! And that means nearly 6 years of shouting at you and yet you’re still here!! Who deserves the real award, right?!? (Spoiler: it’s you.)
* No, I REALLY DO MEAN IT. Send me post requests if you have them! If you don’t have them, send me small lemon tarts because I have a hankering for them.
8. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE THING ABOUT READING?
- Going on nice adventures without having to leave my house. #IntrovertBliss
- Also being able to live multiple lives without being a cat which is handy because I am, as of this moment at least, not a cat.
- Writing reviews. HEY THIS IS LEGIT. I really like writing reviews and reading = reviewing.
- Also stats…I’ll just put it out there that one of my greatest joys in life is logging and calculating my reading stats. I’m a nerd and I know it.
- Beautiful books to photograph and pet. Why are they so beautiful. They just appear in my life with their beautiful covers and then — BOOM — they own me hook, line, soul, sinker, wallet, common sense, average cents, and 83% of my thoughts.
- Learning SO MANY THINGS so that when humans say “hey I have experience in extraterrestrial life forces and changing car tires” I can say “ME TOO” and pull out 9 books which makes me a pro.
- How it feels like your own private world. Like this book, in my hands, is just mine. Nevermind that 40 million other people have copies. THIS ONE IS MINE AND THIS WORLD IS NOW MINE AND I ALONE AM QUEEN OF IT AND WHO CARES WHAT THE WORLD IS DOING.
- Delusions; see above.
- I think reading may have instigated some delusions.
- Not sure???
- Will keep you updated.
9. WHAT ARE YOU READING SOON?
Here let me show you a little glimpse of what my kindle looks like at the moment. This is ALL MY FAULT because I’ve thrown all my “do not request more than 3 books at a time pls be a sensible adult, Cait” rules to the wind and just REQUESTED ALL THE ARCS. I want to read these books, dude. Why deny myself. Life is short. Eat dessert first.
Also where might I find the button to pause the sun so I have a few more hours to actually squeeze these in???
Also how the heck did I actually get approvals on Netgalley for once???? Usually they hate me. But apparently it is THE YEAR OF CAIT™ and I’m not knocking it.
Also do you see all those dragons? DO YOU??? Because this is one happy little Vegemite right here shrieking gleefully from the rooftops.
BOOKS MAKE ME STUPIDLY HAPPY. I JUST CANNOT EVEN WITH THEM.
10. DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN 5 BOOK TITLES.
This actually the most brilliant of questions and the most terrifying because the books I relate to honestly are the worrisome ones. But hey! You asked! *
- A Dance With Dragons. Because I am a dragon, obviously.
- Never Never. Which is me 99% of the time when you ask me to do something because no.
- Shadow Queen. Because I am queen and also an insomniac so hey are those bags under my eyes or the entire creepy shadow wraith contingency in the service of Sauron?? Who can know.
- Blackhearts. Me describing myself as a writer.
- The Leaving. Which is me for basically any social occasion ever. “Oh have we just arrived? Right. I’m THE LEAVING.” Boom. Gone.
* You didn’t actually ask. I stole this question from abroad but pfft. The day I let actual fact and details into my blog is the day the world denies dragons exist and the galaxies spontaneously combust.