My little book is officially out in the world today and my entire mind is just !!!!!!
I’ve dreamed about this day for so so so long that now it’s actually happening, it’s all still so surreal! Although this is the UK release date and Australians and New Zealanders have to wait till the 12th. (SORRY, BUT REMEMBER I’M WORTH IT.) But it’s officially: A Thousand Perfect Notes is in stores and shipping and in houses across the world and…I can’t even.
Insert me looking starry-eyed and shellshocked…and so so SO SO HAPPY.
Every time someone sends me a photo of it in a bookstore…or them reading it…or saying how much they loved it…It’s absolutely and completely incredible. UGH EMOTIONS. There were so so many years I thought I would never get here, but look!!
Look!! I did it!
Writing often feels like a lonely thing since it’s mostly you staring at your computer screen and shouting, “WHY” several times very loudly into the void until the void finally has enough and shouts back. (10/10 recommend for someone to talk to. The void seems nice.) But actually there’s so many people to thank?! I’m such a cliche, but IT’S TRUE. And I already gushed in the acknowledgements of my book…but just…
…thank you to my agent, Polly Nolan, for pulling me out of the slush pile and championing my books. I seriously have a super agent who believes in my work like nothing else and I am so thankful!
…and to my editors at Orchard / Hachette Children’s UK, Megan Larkin and Rosalind Macintosh! And the rest of the team! For falling in love with my book and making it 100 x better and being just the general best! My publicists, cover designer…LOVE YOU ALL.
…to my parents, who always supported my dream to be a writer. Which is huge, really. I am so lucky! And about 14% of thankfulness to my five siblings because n o n e of them have read it, but I did learn how to bicker with siblings from them and put that in my book. So at least there’s that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Although to the ones that have preordered…you can stay.)
…I’m going to thank cake because I can’t be stopped.
…NO thanks to my dog. Who leaves the room when I try to pet him and thinks my entire bed is his and I am still missing a sock what the heck did you do with it. Stuart in the book is YOU.
…and a Specific Classical Musician (won’t say the name because it’s a bit of a spoiler for my book!) who I listened to on repeat in my teendom until my mum literally took the CD off me.
…to my critique partner, Emily!! Bookstagram Pastel Queen!
…and Maraia (and Sebastian!) for all the help translating the German!
…and just generally Maraia who suffers through reading so many bad drafts of so many books and who is just an incredible friend. I can’t even. You are the best. All our endless texts and book discussions mean the world to me.
….and you. I mean, look at you all. You’re reading this post. You’ve probably read MANY of my posts. You’ve cheered my blog, my social medias, my photography, my snippets, the time I threatened to sort cereal into Hogwarts houses, and my millions of typos because, even now, I pretty much can’t spell. THANK YOU, MY BLOGGING FRIENDS. You are incredible and supportive and it means the worlddddd to me. I’m actually gushing. The Vulcan piece of bread has fallen. I hope you’re happy.
- I wrote a post on my publishing journey and I was VERY EMOTIONAL.
- A Thousand Perfect Notes is listed amongst the “romance bestsellers” on Book Depository AND it’s ranked 224…I don’t remotely understand the rankings there, but out of the thousands upon thousands of books, that seems pretty freeeeeaking awesome?!? (It’s not really a romance though but THANKS ANYWAY, BOOK DEPOSITORY.)
- Move over fanart I have FAN CAKE, which is literally the peak of my author life.
- People on instagram have been sending me SO MANY PHOTOS and my heart is so so full!
- It’s literally out in bookstores?!? ON SHELVES. IT IS ON SHELVES.
- IN A BOOKSTORE
- MY ACTUAL DREAM
- Someone messaged me this and I just !!!!
- My blog tour is being lovely!!
- No Safer Place = why I wrote A Thousand Perfect Notes and the inspiration behind it
- Once Upon A Bookcase = interview with my cover designer + some looks at early drafts which is sO COOL
- A Whisper Of Ink = interview with me and the COMPLETELY NICEST REVIEW
- And more coming!! I will be tweeting links!
- My book is featured on Kobo’s picks of the month!
- Incredible reviews have been pouring in! I’m really terrified I won’t get a chance to thank everyone?! I want to! Your support is absolutely amazing. I would give you all the cake of the planets. I know it’s easy to think, “Oh Cait has a big blog, she’s fiiiiine,” but seriously it’s the little reviews, the tweets, the preorders, the constant cheering that actually makes this all happen.
- (And if you’ve done reviews on your blog, please put them up on retailer sites too!! It makes an amazing difference for me! Like Amazon, B&N, Waterstones, etc.!)
- I’ll be doing a Twitter takeover and Chat on @DateABook on the 12th! This is so cool and I’m totally nervous ha! Be there if you can, I neeeeed you!
- And on the 11th I’ll be alllll over Hachette NZ’s instagram page for the day, doing snippets of my writers life + so many colourful explosive photos.
- You seriously can’t get away by this point.
- My book is featured in a book box! (Click here to know which, but you will get spoilers for the box, obviously!) It even got an exclusive edition (sprayed red edges!) and I signed hundreds of book plates and am still reeling that this dream came true omg. STOKED.
- And my instagram challenge is finishing up on the 7th but you can STILL JOIN IN! The hashtag is #1000perfectnotes and all the details are here. I’ll leave it running for a few days for latecomers! Winner gets an annotated copy of my book. The final day is for posting a picture of ATPN (or just the cover on your phone if you don’t have a copy yet!) and I’m hoping it gets a bit of buzz (!!!) which will make this world 1000 x better and I will probably climb the walls, but that’s ok. Chill is to be had by no one anyway.
Here are a few questions I get asked quite often! But feel free to ask me things anytime. You know I don’t bite!
I mean well I do bite but it’s only a small bite and sometimes people get hungry ok don’t worry about it.
Why did you write A Thousand Perfect Notes?
My stories always come from a huge tangle of ideas. I am forever collecting shiny pieces of inspiration and then working out how they can all fit together. For ATPN, I wanted to retell a classical composer’s life…and maybe add in a bit of a genderbent Cinderella. I wanted to talk about music. And passion…and obsession. I wanted to talk about self-worth and friendship and annoying loveable sibling relationships. I wanted to write a book of contrasts, where it’s sometimes dark and bleak…but also warm and hopeful. I wrote a book full of emotions and intensity and I’m so proud of it.
What made you keep pursuing publication?
I don’t think I have the hardest publishing journey of anyone on the planet, for sure, BUT !! it was stressful for me. It was long (5 years since I first signed my agent) and I ate several brick walls and wanted to quit a lot. But my #1 dream in life is to walk into a bookstore and see mY BOOK on a shelf. And honestly I am a fiercely motivated Slytherin so I don’t lose my ambitions till death do us part, basically.
Easiest vs hardest thing about this book?
Since it’s my debut, there were a LOT of learning curves in the editing. (Trust me, book 2 has already been easier because I know how it works!) So all the little changes (and then never remembering what stayed/what went) was really hard. Also being on submission FRIED MY NERVES TO SATURN AND BACK. The easiest parts? Writing it was actually really fun and not as terrifying as I thought it would be. Watching it grow into a Real Book™ was incredible. Seeing the cover. Knowing it was at book fairs. Having industry professionals say they LOVE IT. Never never never going to get over that my little book that I wrote with half-frozen fingers because it was so cold in my house and had NO IDEA if anyone would even remotely like it — is a real and loved book. I just !!!!!
REALLY JUST !!!!!!
Biggest loves vs fears of it being out in the world?
I’ve already gushed about seeing people reading it, seeing it in photos, having people tell me it meant a lot to them (!!) So those are my biggest loves. Also, won’t lie: would be tooootally down for it to be a bestseller, turn into a movie, be published in 17 countries, and have no one mention in my signature that my G looks like a 6. (It DOES but shh.) Anyway all those last things have NOT happened. But I can dream.
My fears are all just the cliches! That everyone will hate it (BRAIN, IT’S NOT TRUE!) and honestly I sigh at how some people write August off as a “manic pixie dream girl.” I shouldn’t say anything much once a book is out, it’s out. It’s yours to interpret now! I respect that fully, believe me. But August gets dismissed because she’s happy. That kind of sucks lol lol. (If she was a boy, she also wouldn’t be critiqued for being happy. I see @ you sexism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) August doesn’t cure Beck, she doesn’t save him, she doesn’t show him how to fix his messed up life. You know what she does? She tells him he’s worth fighting for. She takes him out for cake because he’s upset. She makes herself a safe space. That’s called friendship.
Anyway I love these two called Beck and August. I LOVE THEM. I’ve been on this journey with them for 3 years and finally they get to find their way out in the world. I AM hAPPY FOR THEM.
My beginning blogger years were full of me standing atop a box (because I am rather short) saying, “I am taking over THE WORLD.” And everyone smiled and humoured my joke. But look. Look. My book is in dozens of countries. In bookstores. In homes. On kindles. On shelves. Who’s to say I was joking?
Thank you THANK YOU for supporting me and coming along on this journey! I know I show the sparkly parts a lot, but trust me, there’s blood and tears and hard hard work behind this, and I’m so freaking grateful for everyone who’s helped and believed in me.
I’m pretty freaking proud.
Leave a Reply to CG @ Paper Fury Cancel reply