Welcome to the Beautiful People Character Interviews meme, co-hosted by myself and Sky @ Further Up and Further!
F A Q
What is Beautiful People?
Beautiful People is for writers. Every month, we post a list of 10 questions for you to answer about your characters. It’s designed to help you get to know your characters – their quirks, their personality, their flaws, and who they are.
Can I join Beautiful People anytime?
Absolutely. It’s designed so you can jump in whenever new questions are posted. They’ll be posted at the beginning of the month, but you can join in at aaaany time.
Why is it called Beautiful People?
The general idea is that our characters are beautiful people with their own stories that deserve to be told.
When is it?
The meme is live on the 5th of every month! You can join in at any time during the month, just add your post-url to the linky. And don’t forget we’d love you to share the comment-love and visit some fellow linkers.
A R C H I V E
1. Do they want to get married and/or have children? Why or why not?
2. What is their weapon of choice? (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical weapon.)
3. What’s the nicest thing they’ve done for someone else, and why did they do it?
4. Have they ever been physically violent with someone, and what instigated it?
5. Are they a rule-follower or a rebel?
6. Are they organized or messy?
7. What makes them feel loved, and who was the last person to make them feel that way?
8. What do they eat for breakfast?
9. Have they ever lost someone close to them? What happened?
10. What’s their treat of choice? (Or, if not food, how else do they reward themselves?)
1. What is their first childhood memory?
2. What were their best and worst childhood experiences?
3. What was their childhood home like?
4. What’s something that scared them as child?
5. Who did they look up to most?
6. Favourite and least favourite childhood foods?
7. If they had their childhood again, would they change anything?
8. What kind of child were they? Curious? Wild? Quiet? Devious?
9. What was their relationship to their parents and siblings like?
10. What did they want to be when they grew up, and what did they actually become?
1. How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
2. What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
3. What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
4. What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
5. What book (a real actual published book!) do you think your character would benefit from reading?
6. Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react?
7. Do they like and get along with their neighbours?
8. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult) how easy are they to get along with?
9. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
10. Who was the last person they held hands with?
1. What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based them off?
2. Describe their daily routine.
3. If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fit into?
4. Write a list of things they merely tolerate. Ex: certain people, foods, circumstances in their lives…
5. How do they react in awkward silences?
6. Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?
7. What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
8. What things do they value most in life?
9. Do they believe in giving other people second chances? Do they have any trust issues?
10. Your character is having a rough day…what things do they do to make them happy again? Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?
1. How did they first meet?
2. What were their first impressions of each other?
3. How long have they been a couple?
4. How committed/loyal are they to each other? Would they break up over a secret or a disagreement? Could stress drive them apart? Would they die for each other?
5. List 5 “food quirks” they know about each other. (Ex: how they take their coffee, if they’re allergic to something, etc….and feel free to mention other non-food quirks!)
6. Does anyone disapprove of their relationship?
7. What would be an ideal date?
8. What are their personality dynamics? Similar? Contrasting? Do they fight a lot or mesh perfectly?
9. What have been their best and worst moments together as a couple?
10. Where do they see themselves and their relationship in the next few years?
1. What were your writing achievements last year?
2. Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?
3. List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.
4. Are you participating in any writing challenges?
5. What’s your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?
6. Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research?
7. Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?
8. Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?
9. Toni Morrison once said, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?
10. What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?
1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how did the book turn out? Did anything defy your expectations?
2. Comparative title time: what published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)
3. Do you enjoy working with deadlines and pressure (aka NaNoWriMo)? Or do you prefer to write-as-you’re-inspired?
4. How do you go about editing? Give us an insight into your editing process.
5. What aspect of your story needs the most work?
6. What aspect of your story did you love the most?
7. Give us a brief run down on your main characters and how you think they turned out. Do you think they’ll need changes in edits?
8. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
9. Share a favourite snippet!
10. What are your writing goals and plans for 2016?
1. Is the book turning out how you thought it would be, or is it defying your expectations?
2. What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
3. Are you a plotter or a pantser? Have you ever tried both methods and how did it turn out?
4. What do you reward yourself with after meeting a goal?
5. What do you look for in a name? Do you have themes and where do you find your names?
6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
7. Who’s your current favorite character in your novel?
8. What kind of things have you researched for this project, and how do you go about researching? (What’s the weirdest thing you’ve researched?!)
9. Do you write better alone or with others? Do you share your work or prefer to keep it to yourself?
10. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
1. How did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
2. Why are you excited to write this novel?
3. What is your novel about, and what is the title?
4. Sum up your characters in one word each. (Feel free to add pictures!)
5. Which character(s) do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them!
6. What is your protagonist’s goal, and what stands in the way?
7. Where is your novel set? (Show us pictures if you have them!)
8. What is the most important relationship your character has?
9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
10. What themes are in your book? How do you want your readers to feel when the story is over?
NaNoWriMo BONUS: Tell us your 3 best pieces of advice for others trying to write a book in a month.
1. They’re in a crisis: who would they really like to see right now?
2. Are they easy to get along with?
3. Who was the last person they had a deep conversation with?
4. They’re in the middle of a huge crowd of people: how do they feel?
5. Do they believe in luck or miracles?
6. Do they like and get along with their neighbours?
7. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
8. How do they feel about their body?
9. What is the cruellest thing someone has ever said to them? How did they react?
10. What’s the kindest thing someone has ever said to them? How did they react?